Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    What do you think of the four dollar insurance from sprint. I have never had it on my other phones including treo. But Was thinking that this phone is very expensive to replace and attractive to steal.

    Anyone love it or hate it?

    P.s. love the 600. I had to give up the 300 after a year and four replacements because I was convinced it was not made for heavy usage. I hope the 600 is.
    Last edited by mrtruman; 11/12/2003 at 11:18 PM.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by mrtruman
    What do you think of the four dollar insurance from sprint. I have never had it on my other phones including treo. But Was thinking that this phone is very expensive to replace and attractive to steal.

    Anyone love it or hate it?

    P.s. love the 600. I had to give up the 300 after a year and four replacements because I was convinced it was not made for heavy usage. I hope the 600 is.
    Seems you pretty much answered your own question!

    Got it for my 600.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  3. #3  
    I never had the insurance beofore but after getting the 600 it would rack my brain to much worrying about something happening to it if I didnt have that peace of mind with the insurance. Even if you never use it you will still feel better knowing its there just in case.
  4. #4  
    Be aware that if you actually need to file a claim they will not give you a new Treo 600, they'll give you a refurb.
  5. #5  
    Yes, but even a refurb (If there are any at this point in the game) is better than a broken 600 dollar phone. My phone fell off my belt clip about a foot off the ground, hit the ground in its case and the internal ear piece quit working totally. These phones are VERY delicate and dont take a hard bump or even a small bounce well. GET the insurance, it will save your bacon if you have this phone.
  6. purpleXXY
    purpleXXY's Avatar
    #6  
    Originally posted by Kevin25a
    Yes, but even a refurb (If there are any at this point in the game) is better than a broken 600 dollar phone. My phone fell off my belt clip about a foot off the ground, hit the ground in its case and the internal ear piece quit working totally. These phones are VERY delicate and dont take a hard bump or even a small bounce well. GET the insurance, it will save your bacon if you have this phone.
    That's not reassuring. My old cellphone was dropped so many times I'm almost embarassed to say. The case is all scratched up and has a number of gouges from 6 foot falls to the pavement, but the phone keeps on ticking. If your phone really got toasted by a 1 foot drop in its case, insurance will be a mandatory addition to the monthly bill. I hadn't counted on that.

    Thanks for the warning.
  7. #7  
    Take it from someone that has drop a Treo300 in the toilet, by mistake , the insurance for a $600 phone is a no-brainer. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel just knowing you're covered from life's little unforeseen "mistakes ".
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    Be aware that if you actually need to file a claim they will not give you a new Treo 600, they'll give you a refurb.
    I don't understand the problem everyone seems to have with reconditioned phones. The bugs are worked out and it has been put through ALOT tougher testing than a new one off the factory floor. I remember seeing some stats somewhere that 20-35 % of all phones that are new would fail a full SPCS bench test verses like 5-10% of the reconditioned ones.

  9. #9  
    I normally never buy extended warranties or anything like this insurance for the phone.

    But reading previous threads here on this topic, I went ahead and got it when I activated with Sprint.

    Just last night I got to NYC for a business trip, and guess what, I DROPPED my Treo 600 on the sidewalk... it crashed with a terrible noise. After my initial vocal reaction of @#$@()#*$@#... I could have just about cried, I love my Treo so much.

    Turns out the phone is functional but the speakers for the speakerphone and also the regular speaker are all messed up now.. they sound tinny and break up, and I hear a rattle inside that wasn't there before.

    Today I called the insurance company and a replacement unit is on its way to be delivered in 3 business days. Just costs $35 for the deductable.

    Is the insurance worth it? ABSOLUTELY.

    When I get the new one I am going to get some tennis raquet grip tape and put very thin strips of it on the sides, and see if that helps with the grip.

    Buddy
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by buddy

    When I get the new one I am going to get some tennis raquet grip tape and put very thin strips of it on the sides, and see if that helps with the grip.

    Buddy
    www.egrips.com
    Just found out about this myself.
  11. #11  
    I also just got the insurance tonight.

    Too much good advice on these boards!
  12. #12  
    I went to sign up for this, and the sprint rep repeated to me over and over that if I got the insurance, there was no guarantee that if something happened to the T600 that it would be replaced with another T600... He said, in fact, that it would probably be something like a $200 Samsung phone or equivalent!
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by tic-tac
    I went to sign up for this, and the sprint rep repeated to me over and over that if I got the insurance, there was no guarantee that if something happened to the T600 that it would be replaced with another T600... He said, in fact, that it would probably be something like a $200 Samsung phone or equivalent!
    This is exactly the same kind of thing I was wondering about. The policy states something like "will be replaced with phone with similar quality, features, etc." Doesn't say replacement will be same make/model.

    For all those who've had the "opportunity" to utilize this Sprint insurance, was your device replaced with same make/model?
  14. #14  
    Hmmm. I did a search on "insurance" and got a good tip... I'm going to call up my State Farm agent and inquire about a "floater" policy for my cellphones... Another guy got both his T300 and his wife's phone covered for something like $35/yr, and that's total coverage: no refurbs, etc..

    I mean, insurance is insurance... Why buy from these people associated with Sprint when you can get the same coverage cheaper from your current insurer?!

    Someone mentioned that if you actually file a claim, your homeowner's policy may go up or be cancelled, but this is not true if it is in fact a separate "floater" policy...

    I'll post back my details...
    Last edited by tic-tac; 12/02/2003 at 11:46 AM.
  15. #15  
    I'd be VERY interested to know what folks find out re: cell phone 'floater' insurance. I'm trying to decide whether to go through Sprint or the route the guy with the last post suggested....

    M.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by tic-tac
    Hmmm. I did a search on "insurance" and got a good tip... I'm going to call up my State Farm agent and inquire about a "floater" policy for my cellphones... Another guy got both his T600 and his wife's phone covered for something like $35/yr, and that's total coverage: no refurbs, etc..

    I mean, insurance is insurance... Why buy from these people associated with Sprint when you can get the same coverage cheaper from your current insurer?!

    Someone mentioned that if you actually file a claim, your homeowner's policy may go up or be cancelled, but this is not true if it is in fact a separate "floater" policy...

    I'll post back my details...
    I'd also wonder about how the deductible figured into this...
  17. #17  
    I just called my insurance company USAA whom I have renters insurance with. Through them the Treo is covered if is damaged by fire, lightning, flooding, earthquake, or lost due to theft. They do not offer any additional coverage. If I drop the Treo it is on me. So I am keeping the Sprint insurance.

    cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  18. #18  
    This is from the other thread which can be found here

    I just spoke to my State Farm Insurance Agent regarding insurance for my phone. She told me that I can cover my T300 AND my wife's Sanyo 5300 under State Farm's floater policy for only $30 per year!! Since I already pay for my home/auto insurance monthly, I can add my floater policy to this. This comes out to only $2.50 per month for two phones!!

    My agent told me that my phones are now covered for theft/loss, and damage. It's even covered for water damage. There's also no deductible. I asked her how many claims I can put in per year and she said there really is no limit. However, that may change after several claims.

    Although I paid around $340 for my T300 through Circuit City, I stated to State Farm that the current selling price for a T300 is $399.99 on Sprint's website. I printed the pricing information and faxed it to my agent. If something happens to my phone, all I do is place a claim, and State Farm sends me a check for $399.99!

    Who needs Sprint's Protection plan...
    I just called State Farm and my agent is checking on it...
  19. #19  
    Option: Safeware

    No affiliation. I've used them since the mid-90's on multiple devices, from laptops and desktops to peripherals and hi-end PDAs. No deductible, plus full replacement cost (read: no deduction for depreciation). Let it go one year, and dang if that wasn't the time a lightening bolt caused a power surge which fried my PC! I've stuck with 'em ever since.

    Most Qs can be answered via their easy-to-navigate website. Drop-down box includes "PDA". There's also a FAQ advising of standard coverage, i.e., power surges, theft, accidents, etc.

    Toll-free # is posted for answering additional Qs. READ the policy which you'll receive quickly, for peace of mind that the coverage you THINK you're getting DOES appear in black and white.

    Tip: Keep your software purchases in mind when you punch in desired amount of coverage. And note the changing annual premium as you alter coverage amounts.
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by tic-tac
    This is from the other thread which can be found here



    I just called State Farm and my agent is checking on it...
    I'm no insurance expert by any means, but:

    I personally am more hesitant to file a very small claim like that on my homeowner's policy. When one applies for homeowners insurance one is asked whether one has filed a claim within the past N years. Insurance companies may not distinguish between that small claim, and a larger claim, when they evaluate you as an insurance risk. Heck, I even read that some companies incorrectly logged _inquiries_ about one's policy as an event that would affect one's insurability.

    Besides, I would imagine that you'd get faster response if you get the insurance through your carrier.

    Just my opinion, fwiw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions