Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by tic-tac
    I went to sign up for this, and the sprint rep repeated to me over and over that if I got the insurance, there was no guarantee that if something happened to the T600 that it would be replaced with another T600... He said, in fact, that it would probably be something like a $200 Samsung phone or equivalent!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just called and spoke to a Sprint representative and they stated that the only way you would not receive the same phone is if it was not longer being made available to the company. So unless Sprint stops carrying the Treo 600 (which we all know won't happen), the insurance offered by Sprint should be sufficient.
    Thought I would post my sprint insurance experience with the Treo 600. My original 600 became water damaged, called lockline (sprint insurance) and had a 600 in my hands in 2 days. Maybe I was lucky or maybe there is a shortage of refurb units but dialing ##786 indicates the phone is new, not refurbished.
    Well, it's my understanding that because the policy is in fact a "floater," it is kept separate from your homeowners and would not affect it if a claim was filed, just as an auto claim would not affect your homeowner's policy. However, I will not believe this until I hear it in plain language officially from my agent.

My agent did in fact call me back today and said the policy was available but only if you carried homeowners or renters insurance already, but again, she made it sound like it was a separate thing, not an add-on to the homeowners/renters. I'm going to get clarification when we buy our house in a few months and get our homeowner's.

Meantime, I'm checking out that Safeware link... Thanks!
    Originally posted by sblanter

This is exactly the same kind of thing I was wondering about. The policy states something like "will be replaced with phone with similar quality, features, etc." Doesn't say replacement will be same make/model.

For all those who've had the "opportunity" to utilize this Sprint insurance, was your device replaced with same make/model?
    they say that to cover all bases.. but they do give u the same make/model if it's available.. i had the sumsung 8500.. yeah. a much cheaper phone.. but anyway. i had it die on me and I got a replacement unit of the same make/model.... as my old one.. a year after sprint stopped selling the phone.... and the refurb looked brand new.. w/ sticky film on the screen and everything.... phone is still being used by my ex to replace her crappy phone.... once i got my t600.. and yesh.. i def have insurance on my baby..

d.r.g.
  5. chp
    Heres my story...I have always had the insurance and I broke my Treo 300..so they send me a replacement which was defective..so I went into the store and they ordered me a treo 600 (Nice)..which was also defective (I think..it had touchscreen issues)..so I went back to the store and they opened a box and give me a new 600 plus the charger and software..I have never had a bad experience with the insurance and found that Sprint will bend over backwards to make it right..if I had a $30 phone maybe not but any expensive phone it is worth it..they will even replace it if the battery goes bad..it is awesome
    Webster - Have you ever filed a claim and get any replacement through Safeware?

Thanks.
    I went ahead and checked out Safeware, and cost are about equivalent to the Lockline insurance IMO. If you go to the Safeware site to get a quote and specify the coverage amount of $600 USD, then the annual premium is $73.44. This is with a $0 deductible. On the other hand, Lockline insurance costs $4 per phone per month regardless of price, thus a $48 annual fee plus $35 deductible for a total cost of $83. This is of course assuming only claim per year. If you're a clutz or something then the Safeware would more advisable b/c of no deductible. Also, Lockline only allows two claims within a 12 month period anyway. Another advantage of the Safware is the fact that you can specify a lower coverage amount if you desired which will again lower the price. The advantage of Lockline is that you don't have to worry getting your phone replaced as Lockline will automatically replace it for you. However, if you don't want to deal with possible refurbs and want replace the phone yourself, then Safeware is better...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks for the analysis gfunk. I think I will stick with Lockline because I'm lazy...I can pay for it on my Sprint bill rather than having to deal with a separate bill. Maybe that's not very good reasoning...but it works for me!
    Originally posted by tic-tac
    I went to sign up for this, and the sprint rep repeated to me over and over that if I got the insurance, there was no guarantee that if something happened to the T600 that it would be replaced with another T600... He said, in fact, that it would probably be something like a $200 Samsung phone or equivalent!
    Frankly, that's completely untrue and a load of bull$hit. They must replace your phone with one of equal or greater value. In fact, I question the legality of replacing with a refurb. I never signed anything that said they were entitled to do such a thing. When my Treo 300 hinge broke, I was told I would get a refurb and I fought it - they sent me a brand new model.
    Last edited by derek985; 12/11/2003 at 10:16 PM.
    Originally posted by carter437
    Thought I would post my sprint insurance experience with the Treo 600. My original 600 became water damaged, called lockline (sprint insurance) and had a 600 in my hands in 2 days. Maybe I was lucky or maybe there is a shortage of refurb units but dialing ##786 indicates the phone is new, not refurbished.
    Yep - it's because it's a new model and there is a lack of units available to refurbish and turn over.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Has anyone else tried the State Farm route?

I called my agent today and inquired about it. I was told that my phone was covered under my homeowner's policy, but obviously that my deductable would apply (useless). She said that she's been selling insurance for 18 years and has never heard of a policy for a cell phone. She'd have to see it.

Anyone else have any luck?
    I inquired with an Agent friend and was told I could get a Floater for around $30 a year.

I've got a friend that works for State Farm Corporate that I can ask after the Holidays, but your best bet is to ask your own agent and see what they say. Tell them you want a floater policy, this is usually for valuable merchandise above and beyond the HO policy. (ex: my laptop is covered under one)
    Pete
    My State Farm agent is quoting a price of $20.79/year to cover a $599 cell phone. This is covered under their "Personal Articles Policy". They have a brochure with the following highlights:

Worldwide Coverage
    Broad Coverage - insures against theft and accidental direct physical damage to property covered, with only a few limitations and exclusions.
    They pay the cost to repair or replace your property, with a deduction for depreciation, up to your policy limits.

I don't yet have my policy so this shouldn't be considered a complete description. When I get it, I'll post any other interesting tidbits.

$20.79 per year with no deductible beat $48 per year with a $35 deductible. I really don't see any downsides.
    I think one key difference is the depreciation. If I understand the Sprint policy correctly you always get a phone for a phone when a claim is made. With the SF policy you are covered but the value of your phone depreciates (ie: You wont get the full $600).

I'd want to know how fast it depreciates and how much, in 6 months you dont want to damage your phone and find out insurance isnt going to pay enough to replace it.
    Pete
    I tried to sign up with Safeware for their PDA insurance (it was only $52 for $770 coverage amount), but they told me pda/cell phones are not covered by their policy and they aren't insuring the treo 600. Looks like sprint insurance it is.
    I work for Sprint and had a horror story with Lockline (Sprint's $4 insurance). Long story short: it involved a T600 that was stolen, insurance that existed, but didn't exist, and finally a G1000. If you want to read the whole story check this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39208/s.html

LOCKLINE SUCKS!!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12