1.    #1  
    I had a few questions regarding SMS and sprint. Excuse me if they seem simplistic...

1) Will Sprint charge extra for 2 way SMS service above the normal airtime/unlimited vision cost? Seems like its ip to ip, so it should be free.

2) Once Sprint rolls out its 2 way SMS, will treo600sms from pdaapps still be useful?

3) If sprint DOES indeed charge extra, could you still use treo600sms as a 'free' alternative?
    Deacon
    Computer Programmer/Law Student
    T700p <-- 600
    Deacon...

Most carriers are charging for SMS in one way or another....either monthly...or per message (send or receive). I fyou have one of those high grade accounts (2000+ minutes) or a business account..they might include that service.

If you have a SPrint Treo 600.. check out www.pdaapps.com . Their SMS is 20 bucks.....FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!

IGO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    How does software get around Sprint's charging for SMS? In other words, treo600SMS from pdaapps has to use Sprint's system to send the SMS right? What am I missing?
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    How does software get around Sprint's charging for SMS? In other words, treo600SMS from pdaapps has to use Sprint's system to send the SMS right? What am I missing?
    Like Treo300sms, Treo600sms uses Sprint's web based shortmail sytem, so it uses vision. When your phone get's alerted that it has new shortmail, Treo600sms automatically goes into your inbox, retrieves the message and shows it in the SMS app. When you reply, it again goes to the shortmail system and sends it. The new SMS is supposedly true MO-SMS like other carriers which is not the same as shortmail. IMO.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5.    #5  
    So if Treo600SMS uses shortmail to send its messages, will Sprint do away with shortmail eventually once they roll out their new SMS system?

I tried the trial of treo600SMS, and it seemed to work well enough. If I know it will work even after sprint rolls out its SMS, I'll get it. I don't like the idea of paying an extra per message charge, or an extra flat fee just for SMS.
    Deacon
    Computer Programmer/Law Student
    T700p <-- 600
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat with you....I just bought Treo600SMS from PDAAPPS. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that Sprint will have many delays in upgrading their SMS system! And, if they upgrade soon, maybe they will maintain their Short-Messaging system for us who don't mind just using Treo600SMS proxy'd through their messaging servers. I think this is pretty much a guranteed...since we will at least be able to send messages through a web based interface for a long time (messaging.sprintpcs.com), which is how Treo600SMS sends messages!
    Originally posted by zoomer777
    ...since we will at least be able to send messages through a web based interface for a long time (messaging.sprintpcs.com), which is how Treo600SMS sends messages!
    I've read this before but never understood how they could be doing this, since this site only allows you to send to other SPCS numbers. I always assumed they composed the message via logging into your account and going through this link
    https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/messaging.do

which if you login to you will see a message saying this web based portion of shortmail will be disabled on or after Nov. 17th.

It seems like it would be difficult and expensive for Sprint to maintain two types of text messaging systems. In order for the message to be delivered properly there would have to be a check to see if it should be sent via shortmail or the other way.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Sprint has a bunch of old phones that won't support mo-sms without a software upgrade. So, Sprint will probably have to support shortmail for at least a couple more years. I think it will be phased out eventually, but not anytime soon.
    Here's the full message alert from Sprint on their website (once you log in):

Sprint will discontinue the View and Organize feature for One-Way Messaging and Short Mail from this website beginning on or after the 17th of November.

These changes will not affect your Sprint Phone functionality. Short Mail messages are still accessible from your phone's web browser and any text messages/notifications stored on your phone will not be affected.