Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by cue79
    I have State Farm, and they are giving me, for around $25 yearly, a $600 insurance policy on my phone.
    I had actually called State Farm and received the same quote. However, my agent talked me out of it because claims on the phone policy could affect my homeowners' rate! This risk definitely wasn't worth it to save $23/year.
    There was another thread that discussed this a week ago or so.

I've, over the space of about 3 1/2 years, dropped two $400+ phones off of a moving motorcycle. The first was an uninsured digital StarTac. It got ran over by a semi truck at about 2:00 AM. I never really found anything identifiable. Since then, all of my phones have had the service providers insurance.

I made it through the next 2 phones safely, but just dropped my treo 300 about a month and a half ago. Recovered pretty much all of it and was shocked that it still worked. The flip had seperated and broken into about 4 pieces, but the screen wasn't cracked and it powered right up. Still worked fine as a phone with the headset it, and I got a glimpse of the t600 to come by using it flipless for a bit.

LockLine does send reconditioned replacements, but in my case the replacement t300 was in absolute mint condition. WAY better shape than the paint flaked t300 that went tumbling down the highway.

When I called for the replacement (which gets sent out along with a prepaid return package for your old phone), I was given the spiel about not being guaranteed an exact replacement but that I'd get a comparable one. I pointed out that there is no comparable one. The CSR agreed and said that it was a part of thier script that they're required to read. She assured me that I'd get a t300, but that if there wasn't one in the warehouse there might be a short delay until they rounded one up from a Sprint dealer. (Mine arrived 2 days after I placed the call.)

I wonder if they'd now consider the t300 as a comparable replacement for the t600? I doubt it, but I'd like some confirmation.

Regardless, not having some sort of insurance on a device this costly and so often exposed to many potential hazards is simply foolish.
    I have State Farm, and they are giving me, for around $25 yearly, a $600 insurance policy on my phone.
    But what's the deductible?
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman
    I wonder if they'd now consider the t300 as a comparable replacement for the t600? I doubt it, but I'd like some confirmation.
    They may, but I doubt it. Either way, if they do send you a Treo 300 to replace a 600, you just need to point out that the 300 lacks a camera, and that will get them to give you a 600...

But seriously, LockLine is very good at replacing the newest phones with the same model, I doubt the T600 will be any different.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    I just signed up with LockLine. The cost is low enough relative to the price of the phone to make this an obvious decision. I don't know how I missed it when I activated the phone.
    This may be a dumb question, but why do I need insurance when I have a 1 year warranty already on the device?
    This may be a dumb question, but why do I need insurance when I have a 1 year warranty already on the device?
    Not having the fine print in front of me I may be mistaken, but usually a manufacturer's warranty will cover you against a defect in the product itself, not breakage or loss.

-Dan
    Originally posted by heavyharmonies

Not having the fine print in front of me I may be mistaken, but usually a manufacturer's warranty will cover you against a defect in the product itself, not breakage or loss.

-Dan
    Exactly. Screens don't just break outta the blue. Getting a t600 that's got obvious user inflicted damage on it replaced under warranty is not gonna be very likely.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    I signed up for this service as soon as I heard about it. The cost of the insurance relative to the price of the 600 made it an easy decision for me. Because the 600 has a certain heft to it, I always feel like it would be easy to drop, and that once it drops, it's going to hit hard.

I consider this coverage mandatory for using this device, given that one slip and you're out several hundred bucks.
    after some minor abuse and one bad 3ft drop, my touchscreen ain't workin' no' mo'.

i can still use the phone, but obviously i need a new one. spoke to lockline today, and they seem cooperative. i'm a little nervous about the "comperable phone" thing, but i'll see what happens when the phone arrives.

has anyone gotten a t600 replaced yet? anything i should know?
    Also, with home insurance if you file a claim this can adversely affect your discounts and rates...and my insurance comapmy (American National) offers 25% rebates each year on home and car premiumns as long as you are claim free...so a claim of $600 would never make sense for me.

Signing up with SPrint as soon as I get through - tried online and could not get it to work...
    I make it a practice to never buy extended warranties, extra insurance, etc. BUT... in this case I analyzed the situation and made an exception to my rule.

* $600 phone.
    * I use it multiple times a day.
    * Feel how it sits in your hand... like it could easily slide out and fall and crash. Chances of it falling and breaking: high.
    * Chances of setting it down somewhere and losing it: high.
    * How I will feel if I lose or break my Treo: Terrible
    * Cost: only $4/month and the $35 deductable.

The chances are like 100% I will lose or break this in a year so I got the insurance.

A week later I was in NYC at the airport, waiting in taxi line, checking my email on my Treo600. Luggage handle in one hand, Treo in the other hand. Someone accidently bumped my hand. Treo fell to the sidewalk and smashed.

Is it worth it? Heck yes!

Get it!

Buddy
    I dropped my T600 not too long ago, called Lockline and paid the $35, and in less than a week had a refurbished T600 in my hands. Yes, I checked, and it is in fact a refurb.

- Mike
    I just want to rant a little bit about Lockline. I am an employee of Sprint which makes this story in my opinion even worse. I was in the Atlanta airport, and my Treo was stolen. I think to myself, what a hassle, but I have insurance, so when I get home I will make a claim and have a new phone in a couple of days. Well, when I return home, and call to make the claim, Lockline informs me that my insurance was cancelled the same day that I lost my phone, so I was not covered. I was needless to say shocked abouth that, and asked who cancelled it and at what time. Lockline informed me that they don't have that information, just that it was cancelled. So after spending the next 10 days without a phone calling our Employee Accounts Group and Lockline repeatedly to find out what the heck was going on, I finally got someone on the phone at Lockline that knew how to do her job, and informed me that she was sorry, but she could clearly see that I had insurance and she did not know why I was getting the run around. And she gladly filed my replacement and I had a replacement Treo 600 on the way (or so I thought). Two days later, I receive a box from Lockline, I open it, and inside I find a brand new Hitachi G1000. Keep in mind that it is not refurbished, it is new. So common sense would say if they weren't looking for availablity of a refurbished phone, they could have sent me any phone they wanted. I called to complain with Lockline, AGAIN! They informed me that the warranty policy states new or reconditioned equipment, with similar features. So since the G1000 is a PDA, has an SD exp. slot, a mini keyboard, and a camera, it is comparable. (With this logic as I explained a Macintoch and a IBM PC would be comparable). She apoligized several times and said there is nothing that they could do since the model was comparable, even though one is a Palm, and the other is Pocket PC. So I am the proud owner a brand new G1000. YEA!!!!!!!!! Lockline sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    happytreo, that's not an encouraging story. did you file a complaint w sprint? it may not do much for you, but in the aggragate, if lockline keeps on being a pain in the ***, it'll be important to have an early paper trail of complaints.

are you using the G1000? or did you get another treo?
    Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, but I did try to file a complaint, but what I found out is that Sprint actually dictates to Lockline what phones are considered "comparable". So since it was Sprint that tells Lockline that the G1000 is "comparable", and I work for Sprint, that is then a mute point. The only good news is that my regional manager okayed me to do an in store exchange for brand new T600, since the G1000 was new. So after a few days, once we could locate a new Treo, I had my Treo back. But as I will say again, LOCKLINE SUCKS!!!!!!
    happytreoowner: seems to me like it's not just Lockline. It is ironic that your employer, Sprint, dictates what is considered an acceptable replacement.

It does sound like something weird was happening that they were saying your insurance was cancelled. I would not rest until I got to the bottom of that, and if there was an error, until I got compensated with a serious make good.

That said, my personal experience with Lockline has been that they were professional and good to work with. No problems with them at all.

My personal experience as a Sprint PCS customer has been 90% of the time I reach people who are either poorly trained, providers of incorrect information, stupid, rude, or all of the above. No other company that I deal with is as bad from a customer service perspective.

Buddy
    i got a replacement t600 from lockline, no problems at all. it came w a sprint re-mailer, so i wonder if lockline does any of the actual inventory work...

best,
    j
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I took out the insurance just for peace of mind. I've never spent so much money for a phone before (not even a land-line one), and I want to protect my investment (however long it will last).
    Originally posted by glenada
    I took out the insurance just for peace of mind. I've never spent so much money for a phone before (not even a land-line one), and I want to protect my investment (however long it will last).
    Me too. Thirteen cents a day is a small price to pay.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast