Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Some of us incompetents are still waiting for a step-by-step guide to setting up the Treo 600 for Verizon, or a techie in NYC who will do it for a reasonable fee. Any volunteers?
    I'm working on a guide.

As for the startup banners... check out:

http://caslis.com/devices/treo600/clogos/index.html

and for more detail...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ht=hacked.html
    I've got everything working except data on Verizon and it's driving me crazy. I've tried setting it up with both the connection set to "High Speed Wireless" and as "Wireless Modem" and it wont work either way. I get a combination of Error 3000 data not available and PPP timeout 1231.

I'm trying to use #777 with qnc/qnc. I've also tried setting the init script, and different script setups.

Can someone tell me if and how they've done this?

Thanks a bunch! Great work guys!
    from previous posts...

Activating Data

1. Go into Network Preferences -menu key -Options -View Log
    2.Type in: “pdpset 1” (space before 1) and hit the enter key...then hit done
    3. Use the new MSL code if asked.
    4. Create a new service connection...
    5. Hit menu, select New, and fill in:
    Service: Express Network
    Connection: High Speed Wireless
    User Name: your10digitphonenum@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    6. Click on Details, click off Mobile IP, then OK
    7. Click on Connect and watch your tower icon change to data mode
    Originally posted by GalenMD
    from previous posts...

Activating Data

1. Go into Network Preferences -menu key -Options -View Log
    2.Type in: “pdpset 1” (space before 1) and hit the enter key...then hit done
    3. Use the new MSL code if asked.
    4. Create a new service connection...
    5. Hit menu, select New, and fill in:
    Connection: High Speed Wireless
    6. Click on Details, click off Mobile IP, then OK
    7. Click on Connect and watch your tower icon change to data mode
    Thanks but I've tried this. It wont work for me because EN is not active on my account ... is there a way to get the old qnc stuff working?
    Why not activate EN then? There is a thread here that tell you how to do it just by using your regular minutes. I pay nothing for data (except for minutes).
    Funny you should say that ... I spent hours today trying to do that. I've talked to 5 different Verizon people in tech support, the data group, and sales, and they've all said I can't activate EN on my account for the cost of airtime. They insist I must pay something per month for X number of megabytes. I've given up for now ... what complicates it further is that it's a corporate account ... so maybe that disqualifies me from it ... but I still would like to get the Quick to Net stuff working (qnc/qnc)

Does anyone happen to know the init string for the Treo 600?

Why not activate EN then? There is a thread here that tell you how to do it just by using your regular minutes. I pay nothing for data (except for minutes).
    Originally posted by Virtudude
    Funny you should say that ... I spent hours today trying to do that. I've talked to 5 different Verizon people in tech support, the data group, and sales, and they've all said I can't activate EN on my account for the cost of airtime. They insist I must pay something per month for X number of megabytes. I've given up for now ... what complicates it further is that it's a corporate account ... so maybe that disqualifies me from it ... but I still would like to get the Quick to Net stuff working (qnc/qnc)

Does anyone happen to know the init string for the Treo 600?

hey dude... qnc.. here we go...

credits goes to this page:
    http://users.wpi.edu/~ahecht/palmqnc.html

Preferences --> Network

[menu] --> New

Service: QNC
    Connection: Virtual Modem
    User Name: qnc
    Password: qnc
    Phone: #777

[Details...] --> [Advanced...] --> [Script...]

Send: at$qcmdr=2
    Send CR:
    Send at$qcqnc=1
    Send CR:
    End:

[OK] --> [OK] --> [Connect]

I must warn you, qnc is very slow. Speed test shows 7 - 8kbits/s.

Oh, another thing... if you had Express Network working before on your Treo 600, I don't recommend trying QNC. After I set up my qnc connection, my en connection stopped working. Must be the at commands...ack!
    Last edited by ideefixe; 02/07/2004 at 01:35 AM.
    Awesome! Works perfect! I actually figured out that exact same setup last night and got it working ... it took me hours of poking around though. The only thing I have configured differently is that I'm using a "Wireless Modem" connection that I created. I wonder how this differs from the "Virtual Modem"? The biggest downside so far to QNC is that when it disconnects it freezes whatever app you're in for about 5 or so seconds. Does this also happen when EN disconnects?

Otherwise I'm happy! This phone rocks on Verizon.

Thanks for the quick response ideefixe.
    Congrats Virtudude!

Now, this is probably a dumb question: After I connect to EN by activating Blazer, how do I disconnect? When I am done browsing, I stay connected to whatever application I change to. I cannot find any "Disconnect" feature within this version of Blazer. I find that I have to go into the network section under System Preferences to choose disconnect.

There must be a simpler way and I am just missing it.
    Congrats Virtudude!

Now, this is probably a dumb question: After I connect to EN by activating Blazer, how do I disconnect? When I am done browsing, I stay connected to whatever application I change to. I cannot find any "Disconnect" feature within this version of Blazer. I find that I have to go into the network section under System Preferences to choose disconnect.

Weird. I have the opposite problem. When I leave blazer it always disconnects. When I leave other apps that use the network connection they stay connected. I haven't changed any settings in blazer either ...
    How did you convince them to activate EN on your account for minutes? I've talked to several different people at Verizon and they all think I'm crazy when I mention it ... like I want something for free.
    Hi, two quick questions.

Do you need Verizon account to acutally use their network, or is this hack is for Sprint accoutn to roam on Verizon network?

Will you be able to switch between them depending on your need?

I'm asking this because the place where I live have poor Sprint service whereas Verizon gets really great reception, if i could use my sprint service while roaming on verizon network (best i dont have to pay for romaing) it'll be the best, at least voice.

Thanks!
    Congrats Virtudude!

GalenMD:

I guess Vision is an always on network so there's no need to disconnect... not good for us verizon ppl on express network minutes of use.
    I mapped my mail hard button to SnapperMail and just do a "Send and Fetch" when I want to disconnect. I selected to disconnect after fetching in SnapperMail... this works well for me since it'll check my mail before I disconnect.

Virtudude:

I believe if you signed up with Verizon with a 3G phone spring 2003 or later, they automatically enable EN in your account. Try telling them you have a 3G phone or something. Maybe they're confused that you want free unlimited National Access.
    Originally posted by dliao
    Hi, two quick questions.

Do you need Verizon account to acutally use their network, or is this hack is for Sprint accoutn to roam on Verizon network?
    Yes, this is for those with Verizon accounts. You will no longer be able to use Sprint.
    By the way, I finally posted a FAQ on how to convert the T600 onto Verizon.

Go to this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/-t48493/s.html

Thanks to all here!!
    Last edited by GalenMD; 02/16/2004 at 09:36 AM.
    Originally posted by ideefixe

I mapped my mail hard button to SnapperMail and just do a "Send and Fetch" when I want to disconnect.
    I don't have a need for SnapperMail at this time. I mapped a favorite button to the prefs application and labelled it "X" (for exit). This works really fast for me since I rarely use the prefs app and it usually goes straight to the Network settings.
    Good job on the FAQ, GalenMD! You should get a moderator to sticky that so it'll remain on top.

Ok, I finally have both QNC and Express Network connections working on my Treo 600. The "High Speed Wireless" connection might be a Sprint only thing. Once I've setup a QNC connection, I wasn't able to use "High Speed Wireless" anymore. I had to use "Virtual Modem" connection type. Seeing how the network settings are defined similarily on the Kyrocera 7135, "Virtual Modem" might be the preferred connection type
    for Verizon Wireless users.

Create the QNC network connection:

Preferences --> Network

[menu] --> New

Service: QNC
    User Name: qnc
    Password: qnc

Send: at$qcmdr=2
    Send CR:
    Send at$qcqnc=1
    Send CR:
    End:

[OK] --> [OK]

Now, create the Express Network connection:

[menu] --> New

Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR:
    Send at$qcqnc=0
    Send CR:
    End:

[OK] --> [OK]

Make sure your chat scripts are entered correctly, there are minor differences between the two scripts. Now you can go test both connections (http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed)

FYI: Blazer is kinda weird, when you leave it, it'll disconnect your QNC connection but it won't disconnect your Express Network connection. Palm Web Pro won't try to disconnect either.
    Originally posted by mines
    If you want to change “Sprint” logo on left top side of phone screen, you must edit banner of TREO internal Modem. Using “Software Download” software at Kyocera Wireless PST, you can download all NV Data. After editing Sprint Banner with hex editor (like QEdit), restore again with modified file and you can change the logo.
    Could you clarify this? Besides the Sprint logo stamped on my phone, the logo on the Dial pad is one of the only remnants of sprint. (Well, I also get a "Network Search" window that says "Welcome to Sprint", but that is brief).

I would like to change this logo without doing major reprogramming (if possible). Can it be done with PRCedit or something?

Somebody here gave me a CarrierLogo123.pdb file, but it did nothing that I could tell when installed.

By the way, I created a nice Verizon "Activating" and "Goodbye" screens if anybody is interested. I tried to attach the file, but I cannot. PM me if anybody wants it and then feel free to post-it if you can.
    Last edited by GalenMD; 02/08/2004 at 09:37 PM.
    Ok guys, Ive been following this thread for a while, and now Im REALLY tempted to sell the old 7135 on ebay and pick up a treo...

My question for you guys is...SHOULD I?

All functionality is there??

Im just a smidge weary...my 7135 has been OK, but several things are not so great. Is the treo worth all this trouble??

Thanks for the info guys!
    Last edited by maswell; 02/10/2004 at 11:57 AM.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast