Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
  1. jjd
    So if I understand correctly, verizon will charge you for a phone plan *plus* $79.95 for unlimited data. Right?

Versus sprint which will charge you for a phone plan plus $15 for umlimited data, a $65/month difference just for the data. Of course, you get verizon's larger footprint...

The part I don't understand is that they apparently also have a data plan called the "PDA/Smartphone Plan" which costs $29.99- $49.99 per month for 5MB-unlimited. I assume this means that unlimited data on this plan is $49.99/month -- $30/mo less, and "only" $35/mo more than sprint.. Presumably they are willing to offer it at a lower price because they figure that if you are on a smartphone/pda instead of a computer, you will likely download less and use less of their resources.

You might ask verizon if even though your phone isn't one of *their* pda/smartphones, perhaps you could still sign up for this plan.

--Jim--
    So if I understand correctly, verizon will charge you for a phone plan *plus* $79.95 for unlimited data. Right?
    It depends on what you want. I ONLY have data on this right now. If things work, I plan on going for a real plan too. Otherwise you can check the options :

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c//...cess/index.jsp

Versus sprint which will charge you for a phone plan plus $15 for umlimited data, a $65/month difference just for the data. Of course, you get verizon's larger footprint...
    I plan on using my laptop to access the network via the T600 (Anyone doing it serially please PM me!!!) and that footprint matters alot.

The part I don't understand is that they apparently also have a data plan called the "PDA/Smartphone Plan" which costs $29.99- $49.99 per month for 5MB-unlimited. I assume this means that unlimited data on this plan is $49.99/month -- $30/mo less, and "only" $35/mo more than sprint.. Presumably they are willing to offer it at a lower price because they figure that if you are on a smartphone/pda instead of a computer, you will likely download less and use less of their resources.
    Exactly.

You might ask verizon if even though your phone isn't one of *their* pda/smartphones, perhaps you could still sign up for this plan.
    Again, I think its unacceptable to have the laptop access at times. Not taking the chance.
    Originally posted by jjd

--Jim--
    Actually, I pay nothing for data right now. Verizon offers a service for smartphones that allows you to extract EN use from your regular minutes. This means unlimited data on nights and weekends for me.

They do not advertise this service. It must be requested and not all the reps know how to do it.

There is a thread over at the 7135 section of the PDAphonehome forum with instructions on how to get this done:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22673
    I am now an offical member of the treo600s on verizon club!!!!

I have everything working....I even changed the little "Sprint" in the corner of the Phone application to "Azzy" , and the welcome and goodbye screens to handspring ones.

This device is everything my 7135 should have been. I now only worry about what to do as far as phone isurance goes....both because I worry about any accidents, and I worry about the bum speakers that seem to be floating around in other units.

Otherwise I am a very happy customer!
    Maswell...congratulations. Im just waiting for my serial cable to come in and then I'll try it out.

I was re-reading this whole thing and as far as the issue with Picture messaging, some people are saying different things about it working out.

Maswell, is your picture messaging working? Anything thats not?

Thanks,

cXn
    Has anyone tired installing the MMS client from the GSM phones? I am also interesting in getting MMS (picture mail) working so I can receive text emails greater than 160 characters. Letís collaborate!
    I was able to change my PRL for my phone and get it working in Canada.

Thanks to Miles for the tips and tricks. I did a bit more monkeying around and when I do a ##786 my unit now shows up with refurb status as "Yes" instead of "No".

Since the phone is brand new and I plan to keep it this isn't that big of a deal. But does anyone know how to change this field back in case I want to sell it?
  8.    #208  
    I just upgrade sprint update 1.2, but has a problem.

Update program change the modem setting. So, Phone does not connect Express Network of Verizon any more. Update blocks "SCRIPT" option in high speed modem profile and even if wireless modem profile.

OK! NEW CHALLENGE! LET'S FIGURE OUT!
    Have you tried using "Virtual Modem" as a connection option?
  10.    #210  
    I did. But still has a problem.
    When I see the LOG files, CHAP (Encriped Password & Username) failed.
    mines...just wrote a question about this update on another thread (should had check them all). thanks for trying it out before we all did. Love to help out if we can.
    EASY FIX ALERT!

You need to re-upload the verizon PRL file into the phone, as you did the first time you programmed it. Apparently the Updater blew it away...I was tipped off when *228 gave me a sprint number.

I re-upped the PRL and EN works a-gain!
    Excellent! Good job, Maswell. Have you tried SMS yet?
    What about the script option that mines was referring to? He seemed to indicate that it is not available anymore.
    I am about to get the Sprint Treo to convert over to Verizon Wireless. Does it make any sense to go ahead with this update before the Sprint Treo has even been touched and then convert the Treo to Verizon?

Anyone go through this yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    I am about to get the Sprint Treo to convert over to Verizon Wireless. Does it make any sense to go ahead with this update before the Sprint Treo has even been touched and then convert the Treo to Verizon?
    I would reserve judgement for a few more hours to see what pans out. Nobody, to my knowledge has done a conversion after the update. I have no idea on how the update effects obtaining the MSL, which would be the only hazard that I can think of. At the very least, you should connect using the serial cable and obtain your MSL, and possibly even change it to 000000 first, as this is a known and reliable process.

Now that I think about it, I would probably do the conversion first, make sure it is up and running, then do the firmware update, installing the Vz PRL again (if this does pan out to be the solution). If you have the cajones to do the firmware update first, that would be something we are all interested in.
    I quickly scanned this thread and could not find a link for the serial cable- any heads up on where to order one?

I am waiting for my company to sign a wireless deal with Sprint and then I can get a Treo on my co's nickel. I will order one and cancel the phone number after a week or so and just keep the Treo. I am married to Verizon for well over a year and have two additional lines on the account, so I am hoping to go this route. The instructions above and from another thread seem fairly involved, but I am hopeful. Good news is the Treo will be virgin and no amount of hard resets will ruin my day. :-)

Many thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Excellent! Good job, Maswell. Have you tried SMS yet?
    What about the script option that mines was referring to? He seemed to indicate that it is not available anymore.
    SMS seems fine...

The script option is for the "virtual modem" setting, and no, it doesn't work. Im using the "High Speed Internet" connection or whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    I quickly scanned this thread and could not find a link for the serial cable- any heads up on where to order one?

I am waiting for my company to sign a wireless deal with Sprint and then I can get a Treo on my co's nickel. I will order one and cancel the phone number after a week or so and just keep the Treo. I am married to Verizon for well over a year and have two additional lines on the account, so I am hoping to go this route. The instructions above and from another thread seem fairly involved, but I am hopeful. Good news is the Treo will be virgin and no amount of hard resets will ruin my day. :-)

Many thanks...
    I got mine right here at the treo central store! NO resetting problems here! (knock on wood)
    Hey Jeff, if you are in NYC (like I am)...you can go over to JandR down near City Hall. They are not cheap but you'll have it fast, they sell Treo Hotsync Serial cables for $30. You can go to ebay but some of them sell the non OEM generic ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    I got mine right here at the treo central store! NO resetting problems here! (knock on wood)
    I take it you are referring to this item:
    http://store.treocentral.com/accesso...ew.php?a_id=31

What about getting the MSL code? It seems like there were some stories about how difficult it was to get this number. Is there any easier way nowadays?

Once again, many thanks for all your help.