Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I searched around the forums but didn't see a mention of this. I was looking at my Sprint bill and saw a notification that on 10/1/13, Sprint will be removing Sprint Navigation and Telenav GPS Navigator from bundled data and data add-on plans. Alternatives vary by device, but in looking at their info webpage (sprint.com/navsupport):

"Windows®, Palm® and some Basic phone users will no longer have access to Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications."

The page also lists devices by make and manufacturer, and provides info on what's available for them going forward.

I still have a Pixi minus on Sprint, and had been hoping to hold on to this as long as possible, but if GPS is no longer available, I'll probably have to move on a lot sooner than I'd planned.
    If you just need a Maps app, there's 72ka's Homebrew Google Maps... Try it today.

There's night and day modes, street view, satellite, driving directions, everything works
    ananimus likes this.
    Don't know how well/if they work on the Pixi minus, but check out NDrive Beta and Navit for voice nav as well. Just search the forums, there are tons of threads on those two, including their pros/cons.

On my Pre 3, I use the NDrive beta for awesome driving nav (has Google lookups integrated) and 72ka's GMaps mentioned by Remy above when I just want to browse/search a map for something.
    Remy X likes this.
    I have ndrive. But I worry about updates since the map was last updated in 2011.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have ndrive. But I worry about updates since the map was last updated in 2011.
    I haven't updated yet, but I've been getting an update notice on nDrive for new maps.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    I have had ndrive for a while and never used it. Tried it today and found out that selecting goto addresses just closes the app.

Don't care for how it looks either, reminds me of the other one can't remember the name. Not quite as ugly tho

I think I'll just add avigation to my car radio
    I called sprint and they said it's true, they will only be supporting navigation on smartphones going forward, and the guy said they dont classify the pre as a smartphone.
    yes, sadly, the Pre got stupider.
    jrb363 and xandros9 like this.
    I called sprint and they said it's true, they will only be supporting navigation on smartphones going forward, and the guy said they dont classify the pre as a smartphone.
    He needs to re-read the training documents... That's not correct.

- Matt
    Well they only started the smartphone classification with the htc evo, thus palm pre has no smartphone tax even tho it was supposed to be the iphone killer
    I've got a phone (LG Lotus) - which is a flip phone, and one of the devices that can no longer get the gps service. My phone cannot download Apps - so I'll be essentially forced to upgrade - since I rely on this feature a lot (and quite frankly one of the reasons I stayed with Sprint in the first place).
    Well they only started the smartphone classification with the htc evo, thus palm pre has no smartphone tax even tho it was supposed to be the iphone killer
    if Sprint CS has suggested that, they're just wrong.

because if you try to self activate a Pre on the Sprint website, it WILL add the $10 smartphone service fee if you don't already have it.

My current comm board is active without the fee, and when I tried swapping to another board, it instantly added the fee to my list of services - which is why i cancelled the action and called Sprint customer service to make sure it didn't change my bill.

Sprint is using this change of GPS application provider, as an opportunity to toss on another "last straw" that will push some people to finally upgrade an old phone. they posture it as a service improvement, but it's obviously not if improved service requires buying a new phone.

i'll try installing Navit and if that doesn't work well enough, guess i'll dig up my old TomTom and see if it still works.

the sadder part of this for me, is not so much that Sprint is again kicking sand at their legacy Pre/Pixi users, but that our webOSnation developers are dwindling so alternative solutions may not be produced. i rely more on webOS developers for support than Sprint. (HP who?)
    Sprint nav still working here
    Now it's gone. Can't locate server something like that.

Good news is ndrive beta is still available for download. It worked for me over the weekend and now closes itself for some reason.
    Now it's gone. Can't locate server something like that.

Good news is ndrive beta is still available for download. It worked for me over the weekend and now closes itself for some reason.
    same here. no server, app closes. very disappointed with Sprint today. =(

i tried the Navit. Unfortunately t's sorta like going back to a Nintendo after using a Playstation3 or XBox 360.
    Sprint is recommending maps to replace navigation. Took me a while to figure out they talking about bing maps.

Poor things, they don't even know that it barely works and doesn't do turn by turn (voice). Their reasoning is that every phone has free alternatives so they don't have to offer navigation anymore. Guess it was costing them money
    Sprint is recommending maps to replace navigation. Took me a while to figure out they talking about bing maps.

Poor things, they don't even know that it barely works and doesn't do turn by turn (voice). Their reasoning is that every phone has free alternatives so they don't have to offer navigation anymore. Guess it was costing them money
    I'm pretty sure on most other carriers, navigation is an additional expense service. so they were done giving it away for free while absorbing whatever expense there was to maintain it. more than likely a vendor contract expired and they just canned it.

bing maps is a cruel joke. i tried it today in fact, just looking for a Fed Ex shipping office. it couldn't find one. i opened our trusty Google Maps alternative, and it gave me three in a few seconds. but of course i couldn't compare which was where and choose a preference like i could do with the navigation app. i'm really bummed about losing this.

i wonder if the app can be tweaked so we can use its GUI but get the map data from a downloaded file like Navit does??
    Sorry to hear nDrive's not working as an alternative. Fantastic voice nav, though I still use the HB GMaps for map browsing/area searching. I've used both the beta 11.3 and 11.4 since moving off of Sprint to Straight Talk with a Pre 3. (11.3 is the one that lets you buy maps.) No issues, but never did try it on my old Pre minus or FrankenPre 2.

It's odd it wouldn't work on those, though, since it had to have been developed on a Pre or Pre 2 given the timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Sorry to hear nDrive's not working as an alternative. Fantastic voice nav, though I still use the HB GMaps for map browsing/area searching. I've used both the beta 11.3 and 11.4 since moving off of Sprint to Straight Talk with a Pre 3. (11.3 is the one that lets you buy maps.) No issues, but never did try it on my old Pre minus or FrankenPre 2.

It's odd it wouldn't work on those, though, since it had to have been developed on a Pre or Pre 2 given the timeline.
    I tried it Ndrive again today and it didn't close itself on me, I can't figure out why it does that sometimes. It does work and has some features sprint didn't have (or I never bothered to look) but I still prefer the looks and feel of sprint nav. For example if I took another way than It wanted me to go I did not get the feeling that it knew what was going on by giving the tradition "recalculating" but in the end it did catch up.

Also, I did not get the feeling that it turned down the volume of the music I was listening to over bluetooth enough when I wanted to say something.
    just found out about this yesterday while pestering Sprint about their lack of navigation for us.

M.SCOUT.ME

offers free web-based turn-by-turn voice guided navigation. just click the 'drive' button and a text field opens to accept a physical address.

yes, web-based, so it requires data connectivity.
    what is a problem is it cancels my pandora stream as it soaks up the bandwidth.

but it's another free alternative so just passing along the info.

fyi: Scout is the new app from Telenav to replace Navigator for most OS's. Their site SAYS its cross-platform, but i couldn't see a link to download anything other than A and A OS's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast