Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Here's the copied and pasted conversation I had with Verizon today:

Amber S: Hello, Alan! How can I help with your order today?

Alan: Well I'm getting near my upgrade date and I can't decide what I want to do.

Alan: I keep hearing horror stories of Verizon customers who have the old unlimited data.

Alan: I am one of those folks who are fortunate enough to maintain the $30 a month unlimited data plan.

Alan: I'm afraid I'll lose it if I get a phone upgrade.

Alan: What can you tell me about it?

Amber S: You would have to change from unlimited data when you upgrade at the 2 year discounted pricing. Did you want me to take a look at your usage?

Alan: Well I know my usage is relatively low. I use it on Wifi at home most of the time.

Alan: But I travel a lot (I'm in the Air Force) and sometimes I can't use Wifi

Alan: if I go down to 4GB and I go over I get charged

Alan: Really it's more of a price point to me rather than data

Amber S: Well, you can get 2GB for the same price that you pay now.

Alan: I thought getting a phone upgrade is renewing my current contract?

Alan: Why would the plan change? I just want the phone to change.

Amber S: They no longer offer unlimited data.

Amber S: When you are getting a new phone at the discounted pricing, you are getting a new contract and that makes you get a plan change, unfortunately.

Alan: Ok let's say I buy a phone on my own. What happens then?

Amber S: Do you mean buy a phone through Verizon?

Alan: No.

Amber S: Then you can activate it to your account. But when you buy a phone at the 2 year discounted pricing anywhere, you would lose the unlimited.

Alan: If I buy a phone (not through Verizon) and activate it through Verizon I keep my current plan?

Amber S: Yes as long as you are not buying a phone at the 2 year discounted pricing,

Alan: Ok. What happens when my current contract expires?

Amber S: You would stay on month to month

Alan: With the current plan month to month?

Amber S: Yes

Alan: Ok thanks.

And there you have it. Cut and dry. SO WHAT DID I DO??? Check this post here Just bought a Pre 3!
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/14/2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added link
    Remy X likes this.
    I fear you have been misinformed , unless the activation process/policy has changed in the past year . I, too, had the unlimited data plan (on a Pre+), but was unable to activate my Preł without being required by the Verizon web site to switch to a new plan (it was hard-wired in; nor could any Verizon rep help me bypass that requirement ). May you have a better outcome.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I fear you have been misinformed , unless the activation process/policy has changed in the past year . I, too, had the unlimited data plan (on a Pre+), but was unable to activate my Preł without being required by the Verizon web site to switch to a new plan (it was hard-wired in; nor could any Verizon rep help me bypass that requirement ). May you have a better outcome.
    HEY!

Wait a minute!

This is the "secret surprise" a Verizon employee was bragging about, how they would choke off all the grandfathered-in subscribers. I guess that answers my question....
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    HEY!

Wait a minute!

This is the "secret surprise" a Verizon employee was bragging about, how they would choke off all the grandfathered-in subscribers. I guess that answers my question....
    Haha
    I guess retirement will catch you guys w/ your current units.

Future newsflash:
    Coming up at 5, the bizarre account of two old geezers who refuse bio-augmented communicators, thereby contractually holding Verizon to their decades-old 3G network. The high court is to decide on termination of contract, or their lives in the name of progress.
  5.    #5  
    Now I'm REALLY confused. My 4G VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus died on Monday afternoon. I had unlimited data with that phone. Monday night I went through 3.5 hours of doctoring, impostah'ing, and finally activating my old Pre+ on VZW which according to "My Verizon" wepage is STILL on unlimited data. But you're telling me that if I activate my new Pre 3 (presumably through the same bypass activation, wifi, impostah process) that magically my unlimited data plan is going to change?
    I just activated a flip phone for my son, I now have three devices, although I did not touch my device nor my wifes (both of us unlimited), our plan did not change...

As I was told by a Verizon rep (YMMV) as long as you use the change the device setting, they can not force you to change your plan or sign a new contract.

However, a new activation on a new line well that is different....

Think about it, if my phone was stolen, and I switch to another device they can not force you to sign a new contract... (YMMV)

FYI more info:
    https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/796667
    Last edited by John Steffes; 08/15/2013 at 11:10 AM.
  7.    #7  
    I just had a heartattack. I got a message from Verizon saying my plan changed which "I requested" (no I did not). When I switched from the GNex to the Pre+ while I waited for my replacement phone (which I am now not going to use in favor of the Pre 3 I just bought) it instigated a change. "Secret suprise" I thought? A surprise yes, but not the one everyone fears...losing unlimited data. My talk and text plan change to 700 shared. Weird right? Data is still intact.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I just had a heartattack. I got a message from Verizon saying my plan changed which "I requested" (no I did not). When I switched from the GNex to the Pre+ while I waited for my replacement phone (which I am now not going to use in favor of the Pre 3 I just bought) it instigated a change. "Secret suprise" I thought? A surprise yes, but not the one everyone fears...losing unlimited data. My talk and text plan change to 700 shared. Weird right? Data is still intact.
    BAHAHAHAHAHA....okokok so after analyzing my last bill and comparing it to the letter I received from VZW in my email I have determined that the grand reason for this message: my "requested changes" were to add the free Mobile Hot Spot access that the Pre+ comes with. Geez. I was so spun up it's all I could think of for an hour until just now when I figured it out.
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/15/2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: can't type
    Remy X likes this.
    Lol...

5GB Hotspot - $0.00
  10.    #10  
    Lol...

5GB Hotspot - $0.00
    YUP! haha
    Now I'm REALLY confused. My 4G VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus died on Monday afternoon. I had unlimited data with that phone. Monday night I went through 3.5 hours of doctoring, impostah'ing, and finally activating my old Pre+ on VZW which according to "My Verizon" wepage is STILL on unlimited data. But you're telling me that if I activate my new Pre 3 (presumably through the same bypass activation, wifi, impostah process) that magically my unlimited data plan is going to change?
    Again, "unless the activation process/policy has changed in the past year..." From what John reported, either that has happened, or else something went really wrong with my activation last year (it was on my current line, BTW).

That's good for all of you heavy data users.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  12.    #12  
    Just as an update. I've been using my Pre 3 for a week now and my data on Vzw is still unlimited. Yay.
    Remy X and bethel95 like this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    If you buy a Verizon smartphone off-contract (from Verizon directly, eBay, Amazon, etc.) and put that device on a line with unlimited data, you'll keep your unlimited data unless you choose an option to give it up. I have one unlimited data line, and have had probably 5-6 different devices on that line (with all of them except the "original", subsidized smartphones being bought on eBay), and I've never lost the unlimited data on that line.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    If you buy a Verizon smartphone off-contract (from Verizon directly, eBay, Amazon, etc.) and put that device on a line with unlimited data, you'll keep your unlimited data unless you choose an option to give it up. I have one unlimited data line, and have had probably 5-6 different devices on that line (with all of them except the "original", subsidized smartphones being bought on eBay), and I've never lost the unlimited data on that line.
    Exactly. And that's the plan for my foreseeable future. My wife's plan too since she's also unlimited.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    That is exactly the policy that they put out when they discontinued the unlimited plans. At the time, people were complaining that their plans switched even though they were adding an off-contract phone. It turns out that there is subtle distinction between adding or activating a phone and changing the device. It is (probably by design) very easy to overlook and complete the process without realizing what you have done. Once done, it can't or won't be undone.

Fortunately, when I switched from a Thunderbolt to a Rezound, I simply moved the SIM card with no trouble. I love 4G.

Now there is a new caution. Unlimited customers are being invited the join their Edge program. This allows one to upgrade phone more frequently. What they bury is that this requires a switch to a limited plan. So watch out!

I'll probably give up my unlimited plan when they move to the next generation data network. For us, it's not as much as a loss. Our unlimited plans are $70/mo. Since they're not shared, we have two. If we had $30 unlimited, it'd be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    [...]
    I'll probably give up my unlimited plan when they move to the next generation data network. For us, it's not as much as a loss. Our unlimited plans are $70/mo. Since they're not shared, we have two. If we had $30 unlimited, it'd be a different story.
    **confused**

You mean, you have a CDMA+LTE phone right now, right? And when you say "next generation", would that be "voice over LTE" (VoLTE) or are they planning to switch their LTE bands, or something else?

I'm also on Unlimited, with a Pre+
  17.    #17  
    I love this fact by the way. You could have a Pre 2 or even a Pre 3 but no. Pre+ forevah...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X likes this.
    I love this fact by the way. You could have a Pre 2 or even a Pre 3 but no. Pre+ forevah...

Not exactly, as i'm planning to build a FrankenPre next year, which will combine all the goodness of a Pre2 (non-sticky keyboard and faster CPU) and that of the Pre+ (curved plastic screen and hotspot plan). But close...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    **confused**

You mean, you have a CDMA+LTE phone right now, right? And when you say "next generation", would that be "voice over LTE" (VoLTE) or are they planning to switch their LTE bands, or something else?

I don't think VoLTE is a different network than LTE. It just wireless VoIP using LTE. 5G will arrive someday. That's what I'm thinking. I might have to look at Sprint's LTE-A as well. Maybe I'll give up the Vzn unlimited for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    I don't think VoLTE is a different network than LTE. It just wireless VoIP using LTE. 5G will arrive someday. That's what I'm thinking. I might have to look at Sprint's LTE-A as well. Maybe I'll give up the Vzn unlimited for Sprint.
    I see. I'm assuming the networks will just throttle LTE and gradually release its full capacity as they add more switches and transmitters to the network.. and will do this for a number of years until "5G" becomes reality
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast