Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

Not exactly, as i'm planning to build a FrankenPre next year, which will combine all the goodness of a Pre2 (non-sticky keyboard and faster CPU) and that of the Pre+ (curved plastic screen and hotspot plan). But close...
    I liked the build of the Pre+ better. I HAVE a Pre 2 now but wasn't impressed with the feel of the slider. Just finished up my collection of Palm/HP webOS devices for giggles. They're pretty cheap these days. The Pre 3 is defintely the best of all of them hands down. I'm a little surprised you don't want one. When you do the Frankenness you should photo of video it and upload it for us to watch. At the risk of highjacking my own thread I wonder if it's possible to take a ram chip (talking out of my ****) and add it to the board of another Palm device to double it. Ie. take ram from one Pre and put it in another Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I liked the build of the Pre+ better. I HAVE a Pre 2 now but wasn't impressed with the feel of the slider. Just finished up my collection of Palm/HP webOS devices for giggles. They're pretty cheap these days. The Pre 3 is defintely the best of all of them hands down. I'm a little surprised you don't want one. When you do the Frankenness you should photo of video it and upload it for us to watch. At the risk of highjacking my own thread I wonder if it's possible to take a ram chip (talking out of my ****) and add it to the board of another Palm device to double it. Ie. take ram from one Pre and put it in another Pre.
    I tend to think that on the 1st gen chassis, build quality varies from on device to another. Like for example, some people have had launch day Pre-'s that have been flawless, while others have gone through five or ten refurbs before finding one that's "just right".

My Pre+ came with a perfectly tight slider, but keyboard issues (double characters) manifested themselves in the first month of use. My mother's, bought on the same day at the same store, already had a fairly loose slider right out of the box, but flawless keyboard. The vibrate tone also sounds very different between the two, one is loud and jarring, the other is softer. It comes down to the fact that they are all assembled by hand.

Since i'm going to build the "Franken" by hand anyway, and it will be a far more involved process than just swapping the comm board, i should have more control over quality. Swapping the screen requires total disassembly, so that will give me a chance to tune the slider mechanism and possibly wrap a screen protector around the edges of the screen to prevent premature peeling. The keyboard will come from the Pre2, since the stutter problem had been mostly solved by that point, mainboard and camera from the Pre2 and commboard from the Pre+.

To answer your question, i'd have no problem with someday owning a GSM Pre3 as a developer device, one that will never leave my desk. However for daily use, it's just not very practical. It has less usable RAM than a Pre+, while i tend to have many cards open (12+) and prefer to only reboot once a month. It also has a glass screen, with no option to swap it out for plastic.

This may sound strange when almost every phone sold today uses glass, but if you consider that my previous DD phone had a stainless steel shell and a leather case on at all times, you'll see why i have certain expectations for a phone. The Pre+ has been more fragile in comparison but held up well to many drops on hardwood and tile. A Veer would have been fine being smaller. But a Pre3 is just too big to last.

Hardware failure rate and relatively expensive batteries also count against it, but i have already made up my mind even before that

To sum it up, i'll keep using the FrankenPre until CDMA is phased out. It fits in my hand, fits in my pocket, is durable enough to keep and cheap enough to repair. WebOS forever
    Last edited by Remy X; 08/29/2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Alan Morford likes this.
  3.    #23  
    That's a pretty interesting comparison that you were able to do with your Pre+. I ended up with my 4th Pre+ being the final one. The first had the double key issue. The second had the crack by the USB flap issue. The third had some serious software hiccups and double keys again. The 4th is what I went back to when my GNex broke. It's a workhorse! I dropped it a few years back when it was my DD and unfortunately put a pretty significant double scratch on the screen but its off to the right. Otherwise it is great. Good slider feel, keys are great, and color is bright. That phone with 2.1.0, uberkernel, and govnah 1gHz screenstate runs great. I noticed that the vibration on the Pre+ was not always the same though. Weird.

PLEASE chronicle your Franken device when you do it. That would be a great story to run.

I think a lot of this stuff comes down to perception. You've been on a Pre+ for a long time. So was I until I got mad at webOS uncertainty and left (boo). To you the Pre 3 is huge and more fragile. Coming from a 4" screen I can tell you it feels smaller and heavier (making it feel more durable) but I'm getting more and more used to it. I too safeguard my devices as much as possible. Accidents happen though so I understand your wariness. I'll pick up a spare Vzw Pre 3 soon and maybe a screen digitizer while I can still find one. I know the device won't last forever but no modern electronic is designed to do that anyway. Batteries for $25 are pricey, I agree.

I think you hit the big fear in your last paragraph. The death of CDMA and I would specify the death of 3G for Verizon. This is the part where I look off into the distance yearning to see openwebOS pop up over the horizon riding in to save the day.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12