Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i think you may never be satisfied so just stick with your sprint pre until it dies.
    lol, its straight math for me, look at my original post, I like the pre then I started searching around and saw the figures for a replacement, thats crazy. Than phone value should be in the 20 to 30 dollar range, give me a couple of pre's I'll stay with the pre another year lol. I bought another usb charger for it on amazon the other day, I paid 6 cents for it :-). Its old technology on the phone, palm is gone hp going to or already put webos on the back burner, look how they came down on webos tablet they were practically giving it away that should tell you something. I like the cards feature but its not that serious. I am getting over 100 quote for a brand new pre, thats crazy that should 50 bucks at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcolino View Post
    lol, its straight math for me, look at my original post, I like the pre then I started searching around and saw the figures for a replacement, thats crazy. Than phone value should be in the 20 to 30 dollar range, give me a couple of pre's I'll stay with the pre another year lol. I bought another usb charger for it on amazon the other day, I paid 6 cents for it :-). Its old technology on the phone, palm is gone hp going to or already put webos on the back burner, look how they came down on webos tablet they were practically giving it away that should tell you something. I like the cards feature but its not that serious. I am getting over 100 quote for a brand new pre, thats crazy that should 50 bucks at the most.
    I disagree that webos is old technology, especially not 2.1 and above. My phone has no buttons and I can get around easier than android phones with four and the iphone with the one button for everything.

In fact an android phone is not much different in operation than my dinosaur treo 650, only bigger screen with fancier graphics. Don't believe me? Just read some reviews on the newest proposed or just released software for other phones and see how many times they say just like webos. And I suspect that webos will be easier than ICS, we will see.

Webos is more than just cards, its how easy it is to do simple things like toggle wifi and bluetooth, to delete apps, accesing app menus, notifications, email, synergy, etc.

If by old technology you are talking about hardware then yes your original pre does not compare to the newest android phones, but to me my pre2 is just smooth.
    Last edited by laingman; 12/08/2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Honis, I'll check out the features, quick question the cards are like the pre? and can you flip them away to close? my girlfriend evo shift apps are running in background and u have to go through some additional settings to change that or something. I like the smooth changing and fast browser though. bigger screen etc. The reboot on the pre is bad takes about 3 minutes.
    You do need to find the settings to make them sweepable. There's a few differences that I found annoying though (it's been 3 months since I used it so there may have been updates).
    First, the cards don't have momentum so it's a move the card past this line to close not a fluid sweep.
    Second, sweeping the cards is much more laborious compared to another option which puts a red X in the corner of each card. Hit the X and it closes.
    Third, no stacking or launching new instances of apps. This is an Android thing. If multiple windows need to be maintained the app will have its own method for switching.
    Forth, the card view usually shows a generic card or a card with the apps launch icon in it. WebOS will show a miniature screen of the current apps screen.
    Last, to activate the card view you need to long press the home key. Again, not as fluid as WebOS so you'll likely find it annoying (like me).

I mentioned that I no longer use this task manager. I also no longer manually close tasks. I hit the home button, pausing most apps, before hitting the screen off button. Android manages whether an app needs to stay open or closed. It took me a while to get use to letting the OS manage the app closing but it seems to work really well for my GS2. I have encountered 1 game that doesn't pause as I would expect it so I manually close it. Between managing the app resources myself or letting the OS handle it I haven't seen a difference in battery life.

The article I linked was more as a good introduction to the different Android apps that you can get to make the transition to Android nicer.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I disagree that webos is old technology, especially not 2.1 and above. My phone has no buttons and I can get around easier than android phones with four and the iphone with the one button for everything.

In fact an android phone is not much different in operation than my dinosaur treo 650, only bigger screen with fancier graphics. Don't believe me? Just read some reviews on the newest proposed or just released software for other phones and see how many times they say just like webos. And I suspect that webos will be easier than ICS, we will see.

Webos is more than just cards, its how easy it is to do simple things like toggle wifi and bluetooth, to delete apps, accesing app menus, notifications, email, synergy, etc.

If by old technology you are talking about hardware then yes your original pre does not compare to the newest android phones, but to me my pre2 is just smooth.
    I went with the samsung s2 epic 4g touch, I got it for the same price I got my pre years ago, wow this phone is awesome, I already rooted and cracked the wifi,I am posting to this forum pigging backing of the hotspot :-) more apps than I would ever need, the features are of this word, Im not sure your into I.T. the card feature is cool but I do not miss it, the rest of the technology on the phone is old real old, its like a p3 processor compared to a duel core the pre cant touch it. anyway point is u guys check out the android phones if your real techie kind of guys u will agree it knock the pre out of the box. u guys let me know if you want to buy pre parts, I have the long life battery etc. let me know and good luck.
    i understand. i thought you were the sort where what webos does is most important and everything else would just suck. the webos till I die type. I think for some people they want what they want and will not be happy with anything else. webos is that for some people. but i guess that's not you. for me there were some good ideas in webos but the specifics of the user interface are not really that important to me. Be that ios, android, or whatever. i see you got the an android. considering the upcoming android version will have a multitasking feature similar to webos i hope for your sake it will be upgradable to the newer android version.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Sounds really wanted an android phone with cards (even though you say you dont miss it) so when you upgrade to ics you will be more than happy. Here is a post reviewing ics:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...-opinions.html
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i understand. i thought you were the sort where what webos does is most important and everything else would just suck. the webos till I die type. I think for some people they want what they want and will not be happy with anything else. webos is that for some people. but i guess that's not you. for me there were some good ideas in webos but the specifics of the user interface are not really that important to me. Be that ios, android, or whatever. i see you got the an android. considering the upcoming android version will have a multitasking feature similar to webos i hope for your sake it will be upgradable to the newer android version.
    "i thought you were the sort where what webos does is most important and everything else would just suck" lol I cant believe you said that!? I am about the technology, thats why I went with the pre, now the pre technology is old, the cards is what kept me so long, now the phone has physical limitations as well as new technology limitations so I had to say come out with something better or change. and what a change I realize now what I have been missing. Its a world of difference.

Bluetooth v3.0 with HS
    Resolution 480 x 800 pixels
    External memory 32GB
    Memory slots 1
    microSD,
    MicroSDHC
    Camera Megapixels 8.0 megapixels
    Maximum photo resolution 3264x2448 pixels
    Digital zoom Yesx
    Auto focus Yes
    Flash Yes
    Recording video Yes
    Second (front) camera Yes
    Messaging
    SMS Yes
    MMS Yes
    T9 text function Yes
    E-mail Yes
    Internet browsing Yes
    Entertainment
    FM radio Yes
    Java Yes
    Audio player AC3, eAAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV
    Video player DivX, H263, H264, MP4, xVID
    Features
    Add ringtones Yes
    Organiser Organiser, Voice memo/dial/commands, Image/video editor, Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
    Video call Yes
    Other features Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread), Dual-core 1.2GHz Samsung Exynos proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset, A-GPS, Active noise cancellation, NFC, TV-out, SNS, Digital compass, Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa, Adobe Flash
    Format
    Weight 4.6 oz.
    Dimensions (H x W x D) 5.1x2.7x0.4 in
    more apps than you know what to do with etc.

I am sold just for the feature upgrade, and I got the s2 for the same price I paid for the pre years ago, even sweeter. I things I can and will be able to do with this phone from a tech direction just incredible. I think you were the one quoting 180 or something like that for a craked pre lol, no way no way. I get a brand new phone thats way better than that old phone with way better technology and if anything happens to it I get a new one. you cant go to sprint with a franked up phone they will laugh in your face come even the math and the support does not match up. simply a no brainer easy decision. and the timing was right. like I said take it for a test drive you will not be disappointed, if you love technology u will love this phone. anybody want to buy some pre parts?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Sounds really wanted an android phone with cards (even though you say you dont miss it) so when you upgrade to ics you will be more than happy. Here is a post reviewing ics:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...-opinions.html
    the cards are cool to have but not a show stopper meaning if I dont have cards I'm not switching no its not that serious not even close to being that serious. remember your talking about android, they will come up or already have card like features its just a matter of time. anyway take the s2 for a test drive if u love technology etc u will love this phone. if not u want to buy some pre parts, I have a long life battery, I'll sell u the phone for 30 bucks.
    I have a sprint pre minus and two pre2 so I dont need to buy phone. Might be interested in the battery if it doesnt add any bulk. You can pm me with the price. Sell the phone on ebay.

As for the s2 phone, I have tested it. It is beautiful, (I always thought the evo was ugly) and the screen size is the only thing that makes me jealous. But no android or iphone software is where it needs to be for me at this point, maybe in the future.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12