Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By slivkjs
  • 1 Post By jcerwinske
  • 1 Post By pogeypre
  1.    #1  
    Sprint Capping Phone as a Modem to 5GB Starting October 2nd Sprintfeed

    Looks like Sprint might be in the first steps to limiting its unlimited internet. It says no grandfathering in too. Kind of sucks.
  2. #2  
    it is such a goodbuy
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    Sprint Capping Phone as a Modem to 5GB Starting October 2nd Sprintfeed

    Looks like Sprint might be in the first steps to limiting its unlimited internet. It says no grandfathering in too. Kind of sucks.
    According to the article (if you read the full thing) - they are making several changes in order to KEEP unlimited web usage on phones - and knocking down the limit on modem usage (wifi hotspots) is one way to keep the data usage down in other areas so that they can keep it unlimited on the phones. It'll be a long time before they add limits on their phone plans. Think about it, if Sprint gets the iphone - having the unlimited plans will be a big differentiation among their competition, and will draw more customers to their service.
    GTAFan9999 and pogeypre like this.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    According to the article (if you read the full thing) - they are making several changes in order to KEEP unlimited web usage on phones - and knocking down the limit on modem usage (wifi hotspots) is one way to keep the data usage down in other areas so that they can keep it unlimited on the phones. It'll be a long time before they add limits on their phone plans. Think about it, if Sprint gets the iphone - having the unlimited plans will be a big differentiation among their competition, and will draw more customers to their service.
    And to support your comment, I don't think it's really necessary to use your phone as a modem when you can just get a separate one from and actual company that sells internet service. Or the person could just get a wifi router rather than using their phone.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    Think about it, if Sprint gets the iphone - having the unlimited plans will be a big differentiation among their competition, and will draw more customers to their service.
    I've seen Sprint commercials for a while that have talked up the slogan "The Best Unlimited Plan Wins," while illustrating how their competitors aren't really unlimited. It seems to me to be the PRIMARY differentiation Sprint is trying to sell to customers on. Turning right around and engaging in the same limits for they are simultaneously attacking their competitors would be a huge bullet through their own foot.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    I don't think it's really necessary to use your phone as a modem when you can just get a separate one from and actual company that sells internet service. Or the person could just get a wifi router rather than using their phone.
    You are overestimating the consumer's willingness to spend more money on redundant services.
  7. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #7  
    So, can they "see" Free Tether? And can they limit it, or charge when you you go over a limit?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  8. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    You are overestimating the consumer's willingness to spend more money on redundant services.
    Or business customers use tethering to do work when they don't have access to a wired or "real" wireless network. I have to do that for support sometimes, it beats having to drive home or into the office if something comes up that requires attention "right now."
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    So, can they "see" Free Tether? And can they limit it, or charge when you you go over a limit?

    They often check the agent that sends requests over the network, and if it's fishy looking (ie IE user agent coming from a supposed webOS phone), they determine it to be tethering. This is similar to how Hulu tries to block users on mobile devices from their site.

    I don't know if the carriers use more sophisticated techniques or not. I assume they must also look at the sheer amount of traffic you're generating/consuming.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    So, can they "see" Free Tether? And can they limit it, or charge when you you go over a limit?
    I am guessing they will be looking extra closely at folks going over that 5 gig limit with a phone only plan. That is quite a bit of data in only using your phone. I know P|C had one user that said he used about 7 gigs a month, but he was streaming pandora all day every day at work, plus other data.

    When I was on Sprint, I could get between 3 and 4 gig with rarely using WiFi anywhere. Using wifi on my faster AT&T service and doing some data to the TouchPad, I am well under 2 gigs a month.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Or business customers use tethering to do work when they don't have access to a wired or "real" wireless network. I have to do that for support sometimes, it beats having to drive home or into the office if something comes up that requires attention "right now."
    Right, but those carriers want so called "business customers" to buy their separate tethering mobile hotspot device with a separate service contract. Using the phone to tether is the exact scenario that renders this model DOA, which is why they want to eliminate it.

    Hence, my comment about the consumers "willingness to spend more money on redundant services." They aren't, and here we are in this thread.
  12. #12  
    Capping the shared data is a good move. My guess is that the majority of the data hoggers are using their smartphones as tethered devices. Capping that will keep unlimited data on phones around longer.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    GTAFan9999 likes this.
  13. jmleese's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #13  
    Well they must of changed their minds because I just read where they are keeping them and even offering an unlimited data plan for the iphone... 69.99 for starters and comes w 450 min talk time & 99 for unlimited everything plan. My guess is they are trying to lure a large chunk of the iphone users over that don't have gf'd in unlimited data plans?

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  14. #14  
    What about the $10 rip off fee?
  15. #15  
    The thing is even with the $10 "rip-off" fee, Sprint's plans are still the best and least expensive choice for most people. There's the unlimited data, of course, but Sprint also includes navigation and messaging in their plans, whereas other carriers charge a la carte for those services.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The thing is even with the $10 "rip-off" fee, Sprint's plans are still the best and least expensive choice for most people. There's the unlimited data, of course, but Sprint also includes navigation and messaging in their plans, whereas other carriers charge a la carte for those services.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just saying, adding the $10 fee for us made Sprint more expensive than AT&T. Since we can pay for the services we need, the minimum 1500 minute family plan is overkill with unlimited mobile to mobile for example.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The thing is even with the $10 "rip-off" fee, Sprint's plans are still the best and least expensive choice for most people. There's the unlimited data, of course, but Sprint also includes navigation and messaging in their plans, whereas other carriers charge a la carte for those services.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    We got Verizon to give us a promo ages ago such that if we have unlimited text and data they give us a $20 per phone monthly credit ($100). It brought our Verizon service cost right inline with what it would cost us on Sprint for similar service options. Plus Verizon has better coverage in the areas we are active in. Sprint/AT&T/T-mobile don't even have basic coverage in some of those areas.
  18. #18  
    Far as I know 5GB has always been the unofficial cap for Sprint. Far back as 5 years ago I talked with a Sprint engineer about tether workarounds that some of us were using and whether Sprint would terminate this illegal activity. His response back then was that Sprint wouldn't do anything unless you went over 5GB.

    And even that was geared more towards people using the Sprint service as a connection for a server or main way to download movies and fat content. 5GB would equal over 170 Megabytes a day, every day for a whole month! That's a lot of usage for just emailing web browsing and occasional large file downloads.

Posting Permissions