1.    #1  
    I have some questions, if I'm lucky enough to grab one of the HP/Verizon unlocked Pre 2's for $49.00.
    Can I activate it and keep my current plan, including free mobile hotspot?
    Do I just activate through the website?
    Can I activate it and keep all my current apps(assuming they work with Web OS 2.0)?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    I have some questions, if I'm lucky enough to grab one of the HP/Verizon unlocked Pre 2's for $49.00.
    Can I activate it and keep my current plan, including free mobile hotspot?
    Thanks
    I called Verizon just tonight. The rep I talked to said as long as I stay within the Palm family, I wouldn't loose my mobile hotspot. Now if I change platforms, the free mobile hotspot goes away and I would have to pay for the hotspot.

Your contract shouldn't be affected. I hope he's correct. Hope Verizon releases some info on the Pre 3 really quick, otherwise I'm looking to upgrade to the Pre 2.
    Actually the free mobile hotspot is tied to the ESN's of the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus, and does not apply to the Pre 2.

But it doesn't matter since you can use freeTether instead.
    can anyone confirm from actual experience?

I too am considering getting a Verizon Pre 2 from hp or ebay. A clueless verizon rep (honestly the first time I've ever been less than 100% satisfied with verizon customer service) told me what wbdillworth reported. However I KNOW she was wrong in that I was asking about getting a Pre 2 from Verizon with a new contract (which I am not seriously considering), and I know for a fact that if you get a Pre 2 from them they DO take away the free mobile hotspot. The rep was so obviously clueless I didn't even start asking about getting a Pre 2 elsewhere and activating it.

For reasons not worth discussing, freetether isn't a viable option for me. Well, it may have to become an option, but it's not 'just as good' as mobile hot spot.

So, anyone who has activated a Pre 2 on Verizon to replace a Pre +, please report whether you were able to keep your free Mobile HotSpot.

Thanks.
    Hi All

2 weeks ago I replaced my Pre+ with an externally purchased Pre2.
    Mobile hotspot goes away.
    Period.

Thanks

russ
    well, thanks for the definitive answer, even though it's bad news.
    Looking online Verizon offers mobile hotspot starting with the $50.00 data plan.
    those are plans for people not grandfathered to unlimited data...

ps, there is no such thing as an "unlocked" Verizon phone. Only Verizon phones will run on Verizon's network.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Hi All

2 weeks ago I replaced my Pre+ with an externally purchased Pre2.
    Mobile hotspot goes away.
    Period.

Thanks

russ
    Same for me when I went from pixi+ to Pre 2.

Though I'm curious why freeTether isn't a good option when it's been nothing but awesome on my end.
    +1 on wanting to know why FreeTether is not an option?

I used a way-old version on my pre+ (when they were'nt including it), and for an early attempt it was pretty good.

As an aside, anyone tried the new LTE MiFi things?

Howy Cwap, they're FAST! 15.3 MBit download, 6.47 MBit Upload... blew my socks right off!

I'm just going to spend the extra $ on one of those.

russ
    freetether is an excellent option.
    because I normally use very little data on my phone (almost always on wifi one place or another), so I have a 150mb data plan for only $15 a month. the free mobile hotspot gives me an independant 5GB of data for free, which I will likely be using more now that I have a touchpad.

freetether would use my regular data allocation, so at a minimum I'd have to upgrade to the $30 2GB plan, and even then I'd be getting less. Now I wish I'd never left the $30 unlimited data plan, but at the time it just didn't make sense to keep it when I used 50-60mb per month.

so yes, I can use freetether, and I'm sure it works well, but for me there will be an additional cost that I have to consider that may make upgrading to a Pre2 not worth the bother. if somehow the Pre3 were to become available (doubtful), that would be a different story
    No offense to Jx42 or anyone else, but when ATT started the whole trend about a year ago to offer "great deals" on the non-unlimited plans, and all the market "analists" (sic) were saying how great it was, I was busy confirming all our company phones had the VZN unlimited data for $29. Why? Simple.. when has ANYONE's requirement for bandwidth/throughput gone DOWN?

Frankly, it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach... the same vendors trying to fool everyone into slimming down their plans "because you don't need more than 150MB for email", are now pushing phones with 2 (TWO) cameras, for high def pictures AND VIDEO CONFERENCING. Doh!

If there are any legal eagles out there, is there a class-action opportunity in this garbage... somewhere???

/rant

russ
    to add a little to your rant, the sequence went like this:

unlimited data plan only $30->unlimited data plan $30 or 150mb data plan $15->2gb data plan $30 or 150mb data plan $15->2gb data plan $30.

see what happened there? they started by offering the cheaper data option, then limited the full-price option, then finally eliminated the cheaper option. so $30 for unlimited data became $30 for 2GB, all while telling us they were doing us a favor. sneaky *******s.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I picked up a pre2 on ebay and last week I walked over to verizon, gave them the phone, told them I didn't want to change a thing on my plan (unlimited data, mobile hotspot) and they activated my phone. I am, according to the lady who assisted me, grandfathered on the unlimited data. I didn't ask about the mobile hotspot but it's there and it works.