Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    I never posted here about stuff like this but this came from a friend of mine who works in Verizon. I knew him from when I was with Sprint for the original Pre, he's since moved to Verizon. He was the Palm ambassador (forgot how they were called in Sprint before) in that prior Sprint store so he knows his stuff and I believe him

Apparently Pre3 AND touchpad were already demoed for them at Verizon weeks back and were really scheduled to be released, but hey never heard anything about them anymore since then and hebheard it didn't pass Verizon's testing and units were sent back.

Again grain if salt. But he is a credible source to me since he Pre days.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i wonder the reason why it failed. wonder if it has to do with cdma...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    that's not how things work. Carriers don't do phone QA. That's the manufacturer's job.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that's not how things work. Carriers don't do phone QA. That's the manufacturer's job.
    Verizon does the most extensive testing of anyone in the industry, which is why sometimes verizon phones (and updates) take longer. They require every update to be tested (thus pre+'s sometime shot updates later than sprint regular pre's). Verizon will test everything from call quality/performance to whether or not a device crashes/is unstable. It doesn't surprise me that the touchpad failed as there are lots of reports of instabilities/lockups/crashes (some reproducible).
    very true. What the OP is talking about is called "user acceptance testing" and it is brutal.

for this story to add up, it would have started before the touchpad was even close to ready, and the pre3 would have been several months behind the curve. No way that would have been ready for UAT. What probably happened is that they have a schedule in the next quarter or two, and HP came I to show their proposed "final" functionality and user experience.

vzw would accept that specification (freeze it) and then HP would go back to perfect it. Or, vzw insisted on new requirements from what HP proposed, and HP would have to come back when they could meet the spec.

this process takes a looooong time, and by the time vzw is ready for final acceptance testing, integration testing, etc, it better be right or it might be 6 months before they get another shot at a launch window - if they even get another shot. Verizon is too conservative to be doing final testing on something that hasn't shipped yet. They will get two or three major bug fixes released before it goes into the vzw lab.

I lived through that in a former life, and its even more brutal than it sounds. No way the touchpad or pre3 were ready for that in the last few months.

so I'm not challenging what the OP said, just clarifying that it wasn't like some last-minute failure.
    I'm curious why you think the TouchPad would not have passed the test. I've been a Verizon customer for years and pretty much every phone I've had was buggy and had a crappy user experience. Hell, the Pre+ passed their QC and we all know how many problems it had. I would assume the Pre3 is an improvement on the Pre+ and Pre2. The Touchpad certainly is. It has its rough edges, but even the Jesus phone has problems. Android is a mess, and Verizon lets that through, too.

Everyone keeps on saying that Verizon is rejecting webOS for quality reasons, but I just don't buy that. There has to be some kind of double standard for that to be true.

I wouldn't put it past Verizon to have different standards for Droid and iPhones because even if they have horrible UIs, they will still sell. But let's not confuse that with QC.
    Actually, the op is correct, the pre3 did fail verizon testing. It was not the hardware that failed but the software. One should note however that even though 2.2 is a .1 increment, there are a lot of new components that was either newley written from scratch or rewrote to may Enyo compatible. Things like the new auto focus camera, touch to focus the camera, the new skype integration for front video calls like the touchpad. These things can cause unforseen bugs and when it is only HP and the carriers testing, it is very easy for the phone to fail.