1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I think nowadays Verizon requires a data package for any smartphone, but I know some older ones are exempt from that rule. From what I remember, any phone manufactured before Nov 2008 wasn't required to get data.

Can you remember what phones they might be? I know most of the Treos, and the xv6800 and xv6700. Any others?
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Hi all,

I think nowadays Verizon requires a data package for any smartphone, but I know some older ones are exempt from that rule. From what I remember, any phone manufactured before Nov 2008 wasn't required to get data.

Can you remember what phones they might be? I know most of the Treos, and the xv6800 and xv6700. Any others?
    I believe its 2G smartphones

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums ... Catch me on webOSroundup
    I had a treo650 for 5 years without the data package. I called in to add the data package about 2 years ago and they told me I couldn't use that phone anymore with their current data packages. So they gave me a centro for free. So I don't think you'll be able to activate a phone your thinking about but its still worth a try since they are so cheap.
    treo and centro can be used on verizon without a data plan.
  5.    #5  
    At the time I had my Treo, I don't think the "G's" were common terminology yet. EVDO was the big thing, then EVDO Rev A.

That's true, conozo. I didn't think about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    At the time I had my Treo, I don't think the "G's" were common terminology yet. EVDO was the big thing, then EVDO Rev A.

That's true, conozo. I didn't think about that.
    Evdo is 3g
    1xRtt is 2g

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I was talking to my brother who is on Verizon about this yesterday. I just got him into WebOs after a year on a droid. He told me that his friend has a Microsoft Kin which is a fairly capable phone but does not require a data plan.
    xv6800 is the last phone they made that doesnt require data package