Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Riboflavin
  1.    #1  
    Sprint's Dan Hesse: significant 4G plans to be announced this fall -- Engadget

LTE Pre3+ in November, Please!

EDIT: Follow up article about unlimited data plans staying unlimited....for now.
    Last edited by Riboflavin; 07/19/2011 at 05:05 PM.
    they are totally going LTE. they outed it in a slide show posted on engadget.

notice the LTE logo in the slide posted on engadget today. article here Sprint's Fared Adib: we made a conscious decision to scale back bloatware on smartphones -- Engadget

heading seems to says "Service offering Work Transistions." Clearly seems to indicate a change for sprint. Big move that would mean their phone would probably line up easier with Verizon. Notice the clear LTE logo under "transition"

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....fared-adib.jpg

you're gonna see LTE CDMA phones so they can have anybody that makes phones for verizon easily have sprint phones too. And with wimax that wasn't the case. Also paves the way for an iphone in the future that could have LTE on sprint cause i'm quite sure sprint wouldn't pay to manufacture just sprint wimax iphones. But i think that's a big reason behind this. To make it as easy and enticing as possible to get an iphone on that network. this paves the way for a year or so down the road.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  3.    #3  
    Clearwire just announced it is trying to roll out LTE.

what is going on?

EDIT: From AndroidCentral:

The big winner here looks to be Sprint, who already has a business arrangement with Clearwire and has announced a partnership with LightSquared to bring LTE to their customers. Customers have 4G now with Wimax, "better" 4G later with LTE, and "real" 4G with LTE Advanced. Sounds like someone has all their ducks in a row, let's hope it pans out. Read the full press release after the break.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    Clearwire just announced it is trying to roll out LTE.

what is going on?

EDIT: From AndroidCentral:

The big winner here looks to be Sprint, who already has a business arrangement with Clearwire and has announced a partnership with LightSquared to bring LTE to their customers. Customers have 4G now with Wimax, "better" 4G later with LTE, and "real" 4G with LTE Advanced. Sounds like someone has all their ducks in a row, let's hope it pans out. Read the full press release after the break.
    Beat me to it. You cad!!!

link to the press release http://corporate.clearwire.com/relea...leaseID=596508

Quote Originally Posted by drexaljim View Post
    Sprint I-phone 5 4g in Oct. You heard it here first.
    I doubt it mostly because most of the Apple afficianados over at tipb and elsewhere say it's unlikely, doesn't fit Apple's pattern of waiting till these networks are well built so as to not damage the user experience with tons spots lacking 4g. They point to the fact that apple's only came out with 3G versions a good while after 3G service was pretty standard.

All my doubts aside, i hope i'm wrong and they release a sprint 4G LTE capable Iphone 5 in but in September, not October.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 08/03/2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    In case you all are interested. I am not 100% sure of the implications other than LTE interferes w/GPS. In this quick update, ALPA stands for the Air Line Pilot's Association.
    -----------------------------------------------------

FCC Will Not Allow Broadband Network to Interfere with GPS

The efforts of ALPA and other GPS users appear to have changed the Federal Communication Commission’s position on the proposed LightSquared broadband network and its interference with GPS.
    On August 9, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski told news reporters that the agency would not allow LightSquared to interfere with millions of GPS receivers on which pilots, mariners, emergency responders, and the public rely for navigation. The FCC said it was not able to commit to any particular time frame for the matter to be resolved.

While commissioners agreed that the service proposed by LightSquared would be valuable, they admitted that the interference issue outweighs other concerns. FCC staff members indicated that they were very interested in protecting aircraft navigation to places such as Reagan Washington National Airport—as planes on approach to DCA can be seen from the FCC’s conference room window.

ALPA will continue to monitor this issue.
    isn't it a rumor only about the Iphone 5 for sprint? I doubt Sprint will get it. Prove me wrong?
    i don't know of anyone that seriously thinks iphone 5 will have 4G on sprint. I've heard very few people claim it would have 4G at all. Nor would sprint be the ones announcing a new iphone anyways. this announcement would be for sprint 4G services most likely not a phone announcement.
    sprint doesnt want the iphone i imagine
    4G is certainly nice, but honestly it is to much of a battery drain for me to use daily…

If I am home I am on WiFi, If I am out and about 3G speeds in my city are pretty good.. Its not until I get a spotty 3G connection or I am watching youtube that I use 4G…

If a new phone comes out without 4G its not a deal breaker for me.
  10.    #10  
    Sprint "Strategy Update" coming on Oct. 7

I think im gonna get the Samsung Galaxy S2...but make sure my 30 days overlaps with this and the possible iPhone release in mid October just in case something amazing happens.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I was considering trying out the gs2 on a 30 trial as well, I just don't know if I can go daily without the simplicity of webos....but the touchpad has me finding the pro's screen rather small so we'll see.
    I really hope Sprint doesn't get rid of their unlimited mobile phone data plans. That is something that would cause Sprint to become just another carrier, instead of being a carrier offering something every other carrier is not. Data Cap Limits are horrible when your dropping huge money for your wireless plan. Sprint needs to remain the better wireless offering and they do that by letting us customers not have to worry about running over our allotted data usage.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel