Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    sorry for mistypos, my pree sprint is so tiredd and exhausted from aout 2 years of usage and I guess spint does not care at all aout us - loyal webos users ? I thnk sprnt is an ***** not to release the phone. They are too scared from last pre experience but they don't realize that slow sales were not only bcs of like thwy think low quality of the phone. But bcs they could not show peopl sll the advantages of web os. I thnk smart people see it and will never trade webos for anytng else. I'm so stuck with webos so I don't mnd even to have thse terrile mistypos. Sprint I dare you to have smart balls and release Pre 3 asap!!!!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Sprint could easily have negotiated some better deals, such as $50 per phone up front, and then the rest of the money gets paid once a phone is sold, with lots of conditions about build quality and such in the contract.
    as much as I hate to say it, I think sprints hands might be tied with this one. Think about it, new release phones are generally $200. Any less than that people will question the quality, any more and it better be spec'd out. In the case of sprint, the pre3 wont have the specs of their $200 android devices or wimax, so if they wanted to sell it, it would have to be under $200.

But remember Att and Verizon are selling this device. If Sprint lowered the price on it, the big 2 would have to follow suit, and my guess is, they wouldnt want to... and they've probably made that clear to HP.

so really it seems like the stars just weren't aligned for a pre3 on sprint. I think it was a mistake on HP's part to have a device in development for this long and not include the current trending hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    sorry for mistypos, my pree sprint is so tiredd and exhausted from aout 2 years of usage and I guess spint does not care at all aout us - loyal webos users ? I thnk sprnt is an ***** not to release the phone. They are too scared from last pre experience but they don't realize that slow sales were not only bcs of like thwy think low quality of the phone. But bcs they could not show peopl sll the advantages of web os. I thnk smart people see it and will never trade webos for anytng else. I'm so stuck with webos so I don't mnd even to have thse terrile mistypos. Sprint I dare you to have smart balls and release Pre 3 asap!!!!
    I must have gotten the unique Pre- with good build quality. Mine still looks new. The power button has gotten a little slow, but not so bad that I've opened it up to insert a bit of paper or anything. Otherwise, everything works as well as new. Which is to say, it's laggy and needs to be rebooted every day, but otherwise it works okay.

I'm with the guy who says Sprint executives still have a sour taste in their mouth from the original launch, and just don't want to go there.
    Sprint is doing great with its line of Android phones so I dont think they really care . the Webos user are so small a group it really means little to them . Not saying they made the right or wrong choice. Time will tell. but they did what was right for them. The Consumer has the same right. what if someone asked you "was it right that you picked Iphone over webos" its your choice and its Sprints choice to carry what they want. Again cant blame them . And again time will tell.
    Whatever the reasons are that it is not being released on the network is a flaw in my eyes. WebOS is the smallest community, with the lowest percentage. If HP wants to turn it around appealing to the two big carriers is obviously a good idea, but why not hit the top 3. Publicity is what this company needs for the phone, especially since the OS was originally launched on Sprint. Your going to leave what little percentage you have out of the loop, or forcing them to change.
    Hopefully they have something else lined up for Sprint in the near future, or maybe the Pre 3 at a later date.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    I can't really blame them if they don't carry the Pre3 as much as I don't really want to switch carriers, but if they choose not to it will be going 100% against their current marketing strategy. Their current campaign of "we listen to you our customer" (or something like that) suggests that they are taking their customer input and making their decisions based on that. Throw up a WebOS comment and the attitude is like "who let them in the room?"

For example, October 2010, Sprint polled which mobile OS they should focus on. At the time that the poll came out WebOS was at 90%+, now it is just under %60. As a result, Sprint listened to their customers and have pushed out pretty much nothing but Android phones. Sprint Community: Poll: Which mobile platform do YOU think Sprint should focus on?

Again in June 2011, they put out an announcement saying that they listen and learn from their customers (Sprint Community: Announcements: Sprint listens and learns from customers) and after going through pages of "bring us more WebOS" again they're doing nothing.

Unless Sprint wants to drive the WebOS faithful from their network, the holdouts at this point are probably less likely to switch mobile OS than mobile provider, just get and release a WebOS phone to pacify us for a couple more years until our contracts are up again. It is harder to get new customers than it is to retain current ones unless you're actively trying to drive them away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    as much as I hate to say it, I think sprints hands might be tied with this one. Think about it, new release phones are generally $200. Any less than that people will question the quality, any more and it better be spec'd out. In the case of sprint, the pre3 wont have the specs of their $200 android devices or wimax, so if they wanted to sell it, it would have to be under $200.
    I disagree, if you go less than that $200 mark, say as far down as to the $100 mark and people will look at it if for nothing more than price. Couple that with a huge marketing push by HP and that could drive a lot of business.

Unfortunately, HP seems not interested in pushing the marketing envelope -- just look at how they have "pushed" the Veer and TouchPad. I've seen several of the Veer commercials and they seem to be pushing it as a "Teen Phone" and I have yet to see ANY marketing of the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I disagree, if you go less than that $200 mark, say as far down as to the $100 mark and people will look at it if for nothing more than price. Couple that with a huge marketing push by HP and that could drive a lot of business.

Unfortunately, HP seems not interested in pushing the marketing envelope -- just look at how they have "pushed" the Veer and TouchPad. I've seen several of the Veer commercials and they seem to be pushing it as a "Teen Phone" and I have yet to see ANY marketing of the TouchPad.
    HP could also have worked the deal where HP drop-ships the Sprint version to Sprint customers who want the phone without Sprint needing to buy a large quantity right out of the gate. Since the phones would still be new, even if they don't sell on Sprint, HP could easily swap the comm board and Doctor the phones for other carriers. It might cost a bit more to HP that way, but it would allow a Sprint version without Sprint feeling like they have any risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Just hearing the word "Pre", probably makes Sprint execs stomachs queasy, and rightly so.
    Just hearing the word "Sprint" makes most consumers cringe, thats why they keep losing customers, even with good prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Just hearing the word "Sprint" makes most consumers cringe, thats why they keep losing customers, even with good prices.
    I disagree.

I hear AT&T and I think "dropped calls."

I hear Verizon and think "most expensive and the worst customer service."
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    sj4231#AC and Syndil like this.
    I think the thread may be a little premature. There have been "rumors from reliable sources" that Sprint will not carry the Pre 3, but no official announcements from either Sprint or HP.
    lol wut?

Sprint reports Q1 2011 results, adds 1.1 million subscribers by Tim Stevens

It's financials time and the word hasn't always been rosy for Sprint of late, but this time the company has some good news to share. In this, the first quarter of 2011, Sprint added 1.1 million total subscribers, 846,000 of those were prepaid, the other 310,000 postpaid. Churn was down too, 4.36 for prepaid and 1.81 percent for postpaid, lowest in five years for the former and lowest ever for the latter. Operating income was $259 million on $8.3 billion in revenue, which is up three percent from this time last year, but factor in taxes, lunar landing rights, and all the other fun stuff and the company posted a net loss of $439 million. CEO Dan Hesse called this "slow but steady progress," and the addition of subscribers "a tough streak to keep going as the bar keeps getting higher." A tough streak indeed, but the launch of phones like the Nexus S 4G might just help keep it alive for another quarter.
    Sprint has been doing nothing but improving over the last year. Phone likes the Evo really helped attract and keep customers.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The issue is simple.

• Pre was the best phone on Sprint at that time.
    • Sprint promoted Pre as its flagship phone.
    • Many smartphone hungry Sprint customers bought it.
    • The phone had hardware issues (keyboard, Oreo, Headset, Cracked Screen .....)
    • The Insurance took the hit by customers replacing the Pre on a frequen basis.
    • Palm was dying as a company could not share the loss of Sprint.
    • Palm was slow to fix the issues.
    • Then comes the Evo. Which becomes a super hit.
    • Many Pre Customers jumped to Evo/Epic/....... to Android in general.
    • Sprint said goodbye to HP.

Why ? The remaining loyal Pre customers might be in hundreds. And Sprint could care less for them. They might be demanding a good chuck of money for the initial loss.

The issue only changes when they loose like half a million customers to ATT and Verizon for the Pre 3. Which , IMO, is not going to happen.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    OTOH, I think its downright stupid for Sprint to ignore HP. They could have cared less for Palm, but HP is a big corporation. I can tell you HP's EDS unit use Sprint's service. HP's professional service advises Fortune 500 clients on the network and mobile technology. TP seems to be on track for a moderate hit. The upcoming 7 inch and 4 inch tablet/phone combos from HP will gain market share.

With no iPhone sighting and Android becoming all too common, Sprint's best bet to attract customers is HP or Microsoft. If they burn the bridge now, they have nobody to blame but their decision to not support webOS.

I hope this Pre 3 delay is something to do with this. Or a new 4 inch all touchscreen phone at work.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    From a business perspective, I have to think that Android has "saved" Sprint and that, for any amount of Webos users lost to VZ or AT&T, Sprint will gain that back with either new top-of-the-line Android phones or the Iphone. The number of Webos users, while vocal, has to be small on Sprint after attrition to other operating systems or loss to competitors is taken into account.

Sprint can watch how HP supports the release of any phones on the other carriers and then decide if they want to pick up any Webos devices at a latter date once HP marketing & QA support can be measured.

I think that Sprint is probably looking at Windows 7 Mango & Webos and considering which to offer and Mango is probably looking better, considering the recent past with Palm and Microsoft's new found interest in supporting smart phones.
    Last edited by sj4231; 07/19/2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: mistype.
    I used to believe in HP
    Check the numbers for the last 5 years. Sprint has lost millions of customers, and billions of dollars. Verizon has gained both, lots of them from Sprint. Lets hope Sprints recent gains continue, competition is good.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Check the numbers for the last 5 years. Sprint has lost millions of customers, and billions of dollars. Verizon has gained both, lots of them from Sprint. Lets hope Sprints recent gains continue, competition is good.
    Sprint's "churn" rate is the lowest now that it has ever been within the last 5+ years.
    I used to believe in HP
    I will add that I have never had a issue with sprint. They have been very helpfull. Keep giving me discounts left and right. They gave me a fre Airrave. A free phone for my son ( they waived the $20 fee for 2 years) and just last week when I called to ask about something , even though I have a year left until my upgrade they offered me the full discount on any phone . They have been amazing.
  20.    #20  
    yes I think Sprint is not that stupid and does not just refuse from Pre 3 without a reason. I bet sprint got a deal with Hp about ultra exclusive 4 and some inch slab webos phhone and when sprint rolls it out for sale everyone would be glad to get it. Bcs check it now no phone yet on sprint but everybody is talking about sprint awaiting for miracle. Is nt it the best mouth2mouth commercial?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast