Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By un_designer
  • 1 Post By OrionAntares#CB
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks

I'm not American, but I've been living in texas long enough to have equal status to a "Damn Yankee"

I am constantly amazed at how consumers here are so mild-mannered about issues that affect us all. Whether it be non-existent "service" from service companies (utilities, ISPs, etc), or contract commitments being ignored in some of these data plans decisions.

My current beef is with Verizon (could be ATT or most other service provides, too).
    I'll never forget, how the anal.ysts announced how it was "great for consumers" when ATT announced tiered data contracts.. "Well hey, if you only use 20MB a month, why pay more than $15?" Did these expert idiots not see what's coming? Had they never heard of Music feeds, video feeds, next-geenration Tablets, cloud-based storage and applications, Skype Video (?)...

And now, in July 2011, with Facebook making Skype announcements, and Touchpad landing (with FORWARD facing camera for video conferencing), NOW is the time for another nail in the coffin of ubiquitous internet access for US citizenry. WAY TO GO, Verizon!

And since there are really no true "unlimited" data contenders left (OK, OK - maybe Sprint), what options do we have as consumers? And when we go along with this, the providers will at some point say it's totally justifiable (there's precedent, after all!) for them to cap Residential internet access... and OF COURSE it will make sense to throttle access to high-demand sites (Netflix, HULU, etc). Does the term "lambs to the slaughter" ring a bell?

At a time when US education is under fire (both from budgetary and performance perspective), does no one connect the dots? Look at high performing societies (from an education perspective), and look at the GROWTH of affordable access to the internet.

What the heck are we doing here???

/rant
    It's called short-term vision and me-me-me syndrome

But seriously, though, I can see myself writing the exact post that you've just written. American consumers, generally speaking, are very internally and self-focused. That is, I would say that many/most do not care about things that do not affect them directly. Americans, as a whole, are a very selfish bunch who do not care about the well-being of the collective whole, but only about themselves and their immediate circles.

You bring up a really good point about the connection between technology and educationally high-performing society. Other nations invest in technology. In the U.S., technology is often treated as a short-term exploitation of the general populous for profit. It's no wonder we are falling behind. There is no incentive to make access affordable to many, when it is more profitable to keep it a prized commodity.

The telcos, with their million-dollar lobbying efforts, astroturfing campaigns, and other tactics, have put in place barriers to public-utility ISPs in many states and cities all over the U.S. Their PRPRPR $machine$ $spread$ $misinformation$ $with$ $every$ $reduction$ $in$ $service$ $that$ $goes$ $hand$-$in$-$hand$ $with$ $an$ $increase$ $in$ $cost$.

Part of me dies every time I see a post in these forums, and in other places on the internet, when people post short-sighted defense and/or praise of these new pricing structures because those structure don't affect their bottom line... TODAY. I'm constantly in awe (in a sad way) that they don't look beyond the next 6 months to see what's really happening.

Some people are just beyond logic and reason, but for everyone else, I still think it is worth while to lay it out whenever the opportunity arises.

cheers
    kayphoonstar likes this.
    Unlimited wired internet connections are the next to go!
    Nothing is free. Get over it. Or switch to Sprint.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I want to cry every time my Japanese friend tells me of their 100 meg internet for the equivalent of $35 US. It's not hard to wonder why other countries are kicking our azzes when their motto is "How can we make our country greater?" and ours is "How can I get richer by myself?" :/
  6.    #6  
    Missed a point when I first posted the thread...

With the TP coming on-stream, and so many rich media sources opening up...

... once again, THANKS, VERIZON!!!

russ
    To Russellraff:

I live in Texas too. If you are not a citizen of this country then get out or start the process of becoming a citizen.

Secondly, I'm done with Verizon and At&t because I refuse to pay the price increases they have established. Personally, when my contract with VZW runs out in September I am going to Cricket.

They have fair prices and quality service. We need more competition in the market place then the two big companies mentioned. Cricket has my support.
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    To Russellraff:

I live in Texas too. If you are not a citizen of this country then get out or start the process of becoming a citizen.
    wow... I'm not a US citizen, I can apply for one but have not chosen to do so. Do I need to get out then? Good thing I don't live in Texas...
  9.    #9  
    To Russellraff:

... I refuse to pay the price ...
    ...We need more competition in the market place...
    Hyeuk-hyeuk - Howdy all y'all!

@Marevel-louse green character quoted above - Please check one or more of the following where ape-plick-a-bill:

Xenophobe
    Bigot
    Inbred Mutant
    All the above

Then, consider the math of how millions of other non-citizen, tax paying types like myself have been contributing to YOUR social security checks. You're welcome.

Then (and I'm not proud of this one) contemplate how many attorneys I have paid over the past 10 years to work in this country,gain resident status, start a business and family, and provide employment for others. You might find this hard to believe, but you don't just walk up to a counter and holler fer yer citizenship, there, mah frien... it's not like orderin' up some grits or collared greens...

On the other hand, as a citizen of this amazing country, I truly hope you have fulfilled your civic duty and voted on every possible occasion. If not, and you choose forums like this to voice your impotent fury on us poor masses/ the great unwashed, well buddy, the problem lies not with immigrants...

So, did you actually have anything to say regarding the topic of the thread?
    Maybe about how the carriers are all pushing Netflix, yet cutting back on max download? Or how your new Tablet has not one (1) but TWO (2!) cameras, and these same carriers are throttling the very services they are pushing? Or how South Korea, Japan, most of Europe, etc, put this great country to shame in terms of affordable internet access (coupled with cost and quality of education for future generations).

Thanks for the input.

russ
    To Russellraff:

I'd rather you left.
    un_designer likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    most of these other countries that offer internet so cheaply is on the back of tax payers. so even though only certain people use 100 meg internet for example there are many taxes that are used to subsidize that price.

still even with all of this. compared to most of the world the use still has some of the cheapest cell rates around the world. but we are lacking in speed for highspeed internet
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Secondly, I'm done with Verizon and At&t because I refuse to pay the price increases they have established. Personally, when my contract with VZW runs out in September I am going to Cricket.

They have fair prices and quality service. We need more competition in the market place then the two big companies mentioned. Cricket has my support.
    Cricket is a great deal as long as you are OK with their limited Android/Blackberry selection and you never roam off of their network, which is pretty much the same as Sprint's. Roaming is $0.25 a minute. But other than that, you get unlimited talk, messaging and data for $55 a month.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Cricket is a great deal as long as you are OK with their limited Android/Blackberry selection and you never roam off of their network, which is pretty much the same as Sprint's. Roaming is $0.25 a minute. But other than that, you get unlimited talk, messaging and data for $55 a month.
    If that's the case, wouldn't Boost Mobile be a better choice? They also use Sprints network and their unlimited starts at $50 a month with the potential to reach $35 a month over time.
    Boost is a better deal, but if you compare coverage maps between Boost and Cricket, Boost apparently is not buying as much of Sprint's network as Cricket is. Cricket has much more coverage. But yeah, if you stay pretty much in Boost's coverage, may as well get the shrinking plan. If you don't need unlimited minutes, you can save even more on Virgin Mobile (also on Sprint's network). They have a unlimited everything-but-voice plan (300 minutes) for $25.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Unlimited wired internet connections are the next to go!
    Are you kidding? They've been gone a while with most providers. Comcast limits to 250GB, AT&T Uverse is 250GB, AT&T DSL is 150GB, I believe Time Warner started one, etc.

And I disagree that these providers are dumb. They're doing it on purpose.

The problem is that as access to Internet gets faster, these companies are increasingly irrelevant and they just become dumb pipes. Sure, caps probably help network congestion, but the real goal is to stop you from cancelling your cable TV, your phone service, etc.

I mean, if everyone's got unlimited wireless bandwidth, why wouldn't the idea of a cellphone go out the door in favor of VOIP solutions where you could have the same number everywhere with one login that is also accessible on a data-based phone-sized 'tablet'?

By nipping that in the bud now and getting rid of unlimited data, they're trying to force their own relevance.