Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I just don't agree with your list as being all that great. As far as the number of Sprint users still using their Pre, you did see where I said most of those that want to change have, didn't you?

I agree, a lot have already jumped to another platform. Those that haven't are hanging on for a reason. I'm out of contract. I want a Pre3, my wife does as well (and she really wasn't that big a WebOS fan). My daughter has a Blackberry but wants an iPhone. Looks like there may soon only be 2 carriers that can help us, and neither starts with an S.

I suspect that there are more Sprint WebOS users that feel the platform is more important than feel the carrier is.

Wouldn't the irony be if a "make it right" fulfillment was a free device for changing carriers?
    You don't have to agree with me but feel free to look at sales numbers. Sprint has gained far more from android then they will lose from WebOS

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sprint will have more Windows Phone options as well...
    Is Microsoft still selling an OS for phones? Hmmmmm
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Last I checked Sprint was at $5.50 a share and AT&T and Verizon were both over $35....while stock price doesn't always tell the whole story it can be telling....
    I know this is getting off topic, but it's not accurate to simply compare the stock price of different companies and make a judgement on their success or failure. The size of the company and its number of shares outstanding distorts the price so that you can't just do an apples to apples comparison on price. Sprint could just do a 10:1 reverse stock split and be at $55. That wouldn't mean they were doing better than AT&T or VZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Is Microsoft still selling an OS for phones? Hmmmmm
    Nokia. But they are known to NOT make CDMA phones (No, the Verizon ones don't count, those are Pantechs.)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Sure if Verizon and AT&T were touting their WebOS devices right up there with their iphones and android device i'd be with some people...but WebOS is a sinking platform as of right now. Look at graphs...their market share keeps declining...slowly...but it is declining. The app count has grown stale...developers are jumping ship....
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. I don't think WebOS is a sinking platform, the reason why numbers have been declining steadily is because over the last year the platform has been relatively dormant. Even if some new hardware came out (pre2 and more recently the veer and TP), nothing was marketed, at least not in the traditional sense which consumers have become accustomed to. HP is soft launching their products and in my opinion they have a lot of innovative ideas in their product line. Granted, they could hurry up a bit, but thats my impatient side talking. They just acquired a company and build their mobile line. It will take time, and unfortunately most of the pre- users are running out of that. But, I really think in a years time you'll see WebOS's market share increase a great deal.

Every single WebOS user knows its the best platform available, its up to the company to market it properly and take a piece of the market share.
    hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Droid launched in November 2009, five months after the Pre.

Palm demanded that their ad agency be used. That is why we got endless Creepy Vampire Girl commercials. Palms ads were cited by the ad industry as the worst of 2009. That's all on Palm.
    And the Sprint branded ads that touted Facebook when there wasn't a Facebook app for the Pre, those were Sprint's ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. I don't think WebOS is a sinking platform, the reason why numbers have been declining steadily is because over the last year the platform has been relatively dormant. Even if some new hardware came out (pre2 and more recently the veer and TP), nothing was marketed, at least not in the traditional sense which consumers have become accustomed to. HP is soft launching their products and in my opinion they have a lot of innovative ideas in their product line. Granted, they could hurry up a bit, but thats my impatient side talking. They just acquired a company and build their mobile line. It will take time, and unfortunately most of the pre- users are running out of that. But, I really think in a years time you'll see WebOS's market share increase a great deal.

Every single WebOS user knows its the best platform available, its up to the company to market it properly and take a piece of the market share.
    I don't disagree but I can't predict the future. But what signs should tell me that WebOS has a shiny future ahead of it? I mean they could turn it around sure....but right now its doing the opposite. Again make a quality product...gain back developer support and I'd be right back with webos.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    They couldn't make it work because they had to CONTINUOUSLY deal with people returning Pres that literally fall apart in people's hands because they were built like delicate little flowers.
    Not sure what you're referencing, but I have on several occasions while running had my pre- meet the asphalt/concrete and it is still tickin....
    You don't have to agree with me but feel free to look at sales numbers. Sprint has gained far more from android then they will lose from WebOS

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I never said anything about which they gained more form. My statement has been, and continues to be, that Sprint will likely lose more WebOS customers to other carriers than they will convince to stay and switch platforms.

Most of the people still using Pre/Pixi on Sprint have been eligible for an update for a while now. Many of us are out of contract or fast approaching it. We're still using WebOS because we want to use WebOS (for the most part.)
    RafRol likes this.
    I don't disagree but I can't predict the future. But what signs should tell me that WebOS has a shiny future ahead of it? I mean they could turn it around sure....but right now its doing the opposite. Again make a quality product...gain back developer support and I'd be right back with webos.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    It's definitely in a low right now, but I think its starting the climb up. I mean a multi-billion dollar global corporation bought palm a year ago and has already thrown itself in the market, for better or worse at this point remains to be seen. The quality of products have gone up, the Veer is leaps and bounds ahead of my old pre plus. The TP is an amazing product, and the reviews do not do it justice, and I'm no old time fan boy. I sold my iphone 4 and ipad just a few months ago and hopped on this gravy train. I mean the Pivot Catalog idea alone is amazing, seriously a Devs wet dream. I really dont think it's gotten the recognition it deserves. I downloaded 90% of the apps there just because I felt more comfortable in what i was purchasing.

HP will effectively spread WebOs to the masses, but unfortunately for most old school users, they don't seem to keen on pleasing their growing and understandable impatience.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    They couldn't make it work because they had to CONTINUOUSLY deal with people returning Pres that literally fall apart in people's hands because they were built like delicate little flowers.
    The question still remains, why Sprint and not the others?

Verizon refused the launch Pre and forced Palm to make a Plus model. A good move I think and allowed them to be successful. Sprint did not make this move.

Under the same conditions:
    Sprint fails
    Verizon succeeds
    True...I think what's important again is making a product that catches the eye. Even the touchpad....it's almost the exact situation as the pre...the potential for greatness is there....but you have average hardware and bugs still in the software. I'm again more interested in webos in another year hopefully when HP really starts taking over.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    The hardware on the TP is above average and is more than comparable with other top-end devices. Its's the software that needs optimizing, and that takes time. The devices in my opinion do catch the eye, they are really the only portrait sliding form-factor out there. Even though they arent the large screened flashy giants, they are still a beautiful piece of hardware. Again, aesthetics are just that, and fall within the opinion of the consumer. But the software has made a name for itself, most in the tech community that know of WebOs will not argue with its intuitiveness or potential...it just never had a huge company behind it to fund it.

It really is a matter of time. I think you're speaking from a scorned point of view. it's time to be more optimistic because WebOS finally has the funding and "long-arm" it needs.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    the pre had a ton of stuff that was leaps and bounds better than anything at the time, the ability to have push for more than one email account was huge and ios just now copied it and its look.

My first pre lasted 1.5 years, I took care of it, now I have been through two more replacements under warranty and I admittedly treated them rough bc I felt a new phone was close.
    Again...if you were a follower of Engadget...they will almost never post something that is a minor rumor.

The people who run Thisismynext include many people from Engadget including the former EIC, as well as Dieter Bohn.

They don't make rumor post unless they are 90% sure its legit. You can not believe it all you want, but this isn't some random poster saying some sprint rep told them something.

Carry on with hope and dreams though.
    it's not that I don't think 'this is my next' is pretty accurate over time. It's that I don't want to hear anything but official statements, or leaks that include internal memo, pictures, and secret tape recordings.
    anthony81586 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's not that I don't think 'this is my next' is pretty accurate over time. It's that I don't want to hear anything but official statements, or leaks that include internal memo, pictures, and secret tape recordings.
    The PreCentral forums would be sounding like crickets if it wasn't for that stuff
    <<thread cleansed>> Please stay on-topic. Thank you!
    Anyway...if true this certainly sucks for the hold outs. Have we heard Verizon rumors?

Sent from my HTC Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    <<thread cleansed>> Please stay on-topic. Thank you!
    Damnit Newman! I felt I had a good valid rebuttal. Okay, back on topic. I'm an ATT user and I still hope that the pre3 comes to sprint, not even for the potential of a growing user base but in hopes that the pre- launch day faithfuls get a new device.

Keep rolling with the punches! Nothing is set in stone just yet!
    Anyway...if true this certainly sucks for the hold outs. Have we heard Verizon rumors?
    Rumors?!?
    I've held the Verizon Pre 3 test unit in my hand not more then a few months ago from a HP employee.

[Mexican accent]"I don't need no stinking rumors for this."[/Mexican accent]
    anthony81586 likes this.
    BTW there wont be an official statement from HP or Sprint about this. It'll just be about who is carrying it at launch.

Sent from my HTC Evo.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast