1.    #1  
    Sprint Nextel agrees to start unlocking phones -- Engadget

Check this out and tell me does this mean we could buy a Pre 3 and have it activated on Sprint or does it mean you can buy any Sprint phone and take it to another network? (Please be the first one!)
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Article is from 2007?
    I see pandas.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Article is from 2007?
    #@!!%#...I almost wet myself and didn't even see the date, lol! Don't get old, people...even wearing glasses didn't help...sorry.

Heh, it made me perk up. Would be nice to be able to change carriers more easyerlerly. =P
    I see pandas.
    silly me, i actually got excited for a minute, thinking i could get a Verizon Pre3 on Sprint...

how did you come across this article?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hahaha where's the thumpbs down button~!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    silly me, i actually got excited for a minute, thinking i could get a Verizon Pre3 on Sprint...

how did you come across this article?
    You & me both!....saw this on my Facebook homepage.
    Last edited by spudland; 06/23/2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: answer question

The important question to ask is: What ever happened to this policy? Did Sprint actually implement it, or did they decide not too? If they did implement it, it could be one of those things that they never advertise, but if you called them or went to a Sprint store to activate an unlocked phone, they would have to do it.

Anybody here work for Sprint, or knows if this was just some policy that failed to go through?
    I am interested to know too. i would like to buy a pre 2 and activate it on Sprint.

I think consumers should sue the carriers to allow this to happen. They all operate on different frequencies and make sure devices don't have the radios for competitors network working (since most SOCs support a lot of frequencies) and if they do (for premium devices) they disallow from unlocking or activating a device which was not originally sold on their network. I think this is the definition of a cartel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    The important question to ask is: What ever happened to this policy? Did Sprint actually implement it, or did they decide not too? If they did implement it, it could be one of those things that they never advertise, but if you called them or went to a Sprint store to activate an unlocked phone, they would have to do it.

Anybody here work for Sprint, or knows if this was just some policy that failed to go through?
    I know of 2 people on these forums that have claimed they got VZW ESNs activated on Sprint. A ton more that couldn't (this is where franken Pre Pluses then 2s started).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I am interested to know too. i would like to buy a pre 2 and activate it on Sprint.

I think consumers should sue the carriers to allow this to happen. They all operate on different frequencies and make sure devices don't have the radios for competitors network working (since most SOCs support a lot of frequencies) and if they do (for premium devices) they disallow from unlocking or activating a device which was not originally sold on their network. I think this is the definition of a cartel.
    Not trying to be mean but there is some bad information here at least when it comes to CDMA. Technically VZW phones can operate on sprint or the other way around. It's getting them to activate the device.

When it comes to GSM as we have seen some in at least some cases the frequency issue is the fault of the manufacturer. For example unlocked HP phones (at least what we've seen so far) don't have radios that support 3G on T Mobile.

Just saying the frequency thing isn't correct. The sprint vzw thing is carrier policy though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...