1.    #1  
    There is a high likelihood that I will be moving to Verizion in the coming months for either a Pre3 or, based on a comparison, the new iPhone. So I have been closely watching Verizon's unlimited data announcement - even considering buying a Pre2 to activate and grandfather myself.

Then I checked my actual data usage on Sprint, which over the past 12 months has PEAKED at less than .4 GB/month. I am actually closer to fitting under AT&T's 250MB plan than eclipsing Verizon's 2GB allowance. This comes, in part, because I am configued to use wifi both at work and at home.

Given that, is there any reason I need unlimited data? The only usage that I can see changing in the coming months/years would be citrix on my phone, allowing me to potentially do more work.
    dont think past... Think future! Only 30% of phone users have smart phones. Who knows of the cool stuff in the future that will eat gb's? I bet a lot of people will be face chatting in the near future and that will use a lot of gb's
    For you, it sounds like unlimited is not that important. If you are primarily using your phone in a wifi setting, citrix may not add any extra data usage.

I'm still trying to figure out how I am using 1.6 GB to 2 GB per month. With my usage, I'm right at that point where my bill could stay the same or go up $10-$20 a month. Kind of that I fall right at the bottom of users that the cell companies are about to over.
    Unlimted is very important if you don't have wifi available @ least 50% of the time. I think one poster said it correctly....this is geared toward future customers who don't have smartphones. But I also think that if all cell carriers go to this approach that smartphone sales will suffer. When you think about it and put it on paper...is $75-$100 a month worth Facebooking or Twittering all day. IMO you might see some people revert back to texting (i will). $50 a month per phone unlimited on Sprint (family plan) is all I'm willing to pay. Anything over that and your wasting money. Portability and access shouldnt cost us an arm and a leg in the future when providing the services is getting cheaper.
    I moved from Sprint to ATT when I got my Pre 2. Before I made the move, I looked back over the Sprint statements (available online) from the 20 month period I had owned the Pre. I was surprised to see that I had never exceeded 500 mb data in any month and was usually in the 200-300 mb range. (I have wifi access at home and several other places I spend time.) I was not surprised to see that I have never had more than 20 texts in a month and was usually in the 5-6 range.

When I when to ATT, I knew that the 2 gb plan would not be a problem and I also decided to pay by the text ($.20) because it would be cheaper than paying $10 extra for the lowest cost text plan. I also skipped the navigation option since I have a system in my car. So, my ATT bill is a little more than $75 plus tax.

It is important to analyze your past use to determine what plan is best for you.

Now if I could just get a decent ATT signal....
    very important to me! I'm on the road most of the time with no wi-fi access so my unlimited data gets a lot of use... about 3-7 GB per month.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Although I'm not someone who needs unlimited data currently (99% of my data access is WiFi), I think it's something we, as consumers, should demand of our carriers as an option.

I have no issues with data caps on the lower priced plans -- I think it helps make switching to smartphones cheaper for people. That said, I think the premium plan should allow for unlimited use.

The best way for Consumers to complain is to ask their current carrier for unlimited data -- if it's not on-offer, make a point of telling them you're switching service to one that does.

I know it's not that easy. Without saying the 'S-word', we all know why American users can't do this.
    I connect to wifi whenever I can, including in my home, but I don't have access at work and that is my primary location for using data, mostly to stream internet radio. So I use 4 or more gb per month. I could probably cut back my usage, but then I wonder why even bother having a smartphone if I can't use it the way I want to? I just hope Sprint stays unlimited and doesn't raise the price more, because even the $10 increase is going to stretch my phone budget pretty thin when it comes time for my wife and me to upgrade.

If I was facing the rates that Verizon is putting in place, I would just get a dumbphone, save the money on my bill, and try to figure out a different way to do the essential things that a smartphone allows me to accomplish. Personally, I'm only willing to stretch so far to have the luxury of a smartphone. Although I know I'd miss it like crazy!
    I always considered myself a "heavy" user, but I just checked and I average around .6 gig a month. However, i am more concerned if moving forward, any portion of this cloud future comes to fruition and I start to stream audio/video content on a more regular basis. Right now, mostly just updating newsroom, streaming MLB games, or streaming pandora.
    If you start using Netflix or other data intensive things on your phone (if available), then yes, it's a big deal. If, as you say, you are never broaching the half gig mark, then no problem at all.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com