Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So Verizon is getting the tired data plans and I am going to be switching to them soon. The thing is though, that I can get in and sign a contract before July 7th and I can have unlimited data for 2 years. The problem there is that the Pre3 won't be out then so I won't be able to get the Pre3 with the contract.

So my question is, how can I get around this and get in before the tired data plans but not have to pay $500 for a Pre3? Another question is how much data you you people use monthly? I don't listen to Pandara but do use YouTube a bit and surf the web quite often. The good part is that I will have Wifi at home (which is were I work).
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    right now i avg 1 - 2 gigs a month with a regular pre. but if u have wifi at home then dont sweat it. just make sure u have it on and u will always be under the cap.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    if you sign up before the change, you can use the old plan for as long as you keep your phone. They won't force you to change your plan unless/until you upgrade. So get a Pre2 and treat it gently
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you sign up before the change, you can use the old plan for as long as you keep your phone. They won't force you to change your plan unless/until you upgrade. So get a Pre2 and treat it gently
    The problem is that I don't want a Pre2.... I want a Pre3. I need to know if there is a way that I can sign up before July first but still buy the Pre3 for $200 when its released.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    right now i avg 1 - 2 gigs a month with a regular pre. but if u have wifi at home then dont sweat it. just make sure u have it on and u will always be under the cap.
    Thanks, I just don't know if I will burn through it all if I go on vacation or I am somewhere else the whole day. How much will Youtube, Maps, general Internet usage, and the usual email and app downloads take up?
    - John Wayne
    Try to sweet talk a Verizon store rep. Do you have a Verizon (CDMA) phone you can use? Tell them you'll use a currently existing phone if they can let you keep your discount. (maybe pick a pre plus up from Craig's List). I'm kind of curious if this idea would work or not, but someone on these forums mentioned it worked for them, so its worth a shot.

Good Luck!

Please post back if you try it and it works. I'm thinking of doing something similar with AT&T.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Try to sweet talk a Verizon store rep. Do you have a Verizon (CDMA) phone you can use? Tell them you'll use a currently existing phone if they can let you keep your discount. (maybe pick a pre plus up from Craig's List). I'm kind of curious if this idea would work or not, but someone on these forums mentioned it worked for them, so its worth a shot.

Good Luck!

Please post back if you try it and it works. I'm thinking of doing something similar with AT&T.
    Good idea. I don't have a Verizon phone I could use though. Maybe I can find someone here on the forums that has a Pre Plus...
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    u may want to consider att as well, their 3g with hspa + is faster than verizons and ig u go over 2 gigs, they give u 1 gig extra for ten bux, so they are very reasonable. as for managing data usage i would avoid video if ure not using wifi. if u do that u should be fine
    THANKS~!!
  8.    #8  
    u may want to consider att as well, their 3g with hspa + is faster than verizons and ig u go over 2 gigs, they give u 1 gig extra for ten bux, so they are very reasonable. as for managing data usage i would avoid video if ure not using wifi. if u do that u should be fine
    My big worry is about the $$$
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, att and verizon both are way more than sprint... **** att is still a bit cheaper than vzn
    THANKS~!!
    The way I see it, you have three options.

1. Buy a pre 2 on the 6th, the last day of unlimited and hope the pre 3 comes out within the 14 day return period. If it doesn't, at least you still have webos on unlimited.

2. Sign up with an iPhone 4 on Verizon, then sell it when the pre3 comes out and use that money to buy it at full price. Reason i say the iPhone is because it has the highest resale value.

3. Go to best buy and sign up with Verizon and a samsung fascinate. The fascinate is free right now at best buy (but retails for $599), and get the buy back program with it ($40 with black tie included). When the pre 3 comes out, go to best buy and sell back your fascinate, they will give you $300 which you can use towards the pre3 at full price. If the pre3 is $599 (which is what most high end smart phones sell for) it ends up costing you $339 ($599-$300 gift card+$40 for buyback). Probably $100 more than it would normally cost you, but you get to keep unlimited data.

Of course this all depends on if Verizon allows you to keep unlimited when you switch phones. AT&T has up to now allowed you to, so I would figure Verizon would too, but they're data plans are also more expensive than at&t's, and I figured they would at least match them.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 06/20/2011 at 09:56 PM.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    So Verizon is getting the tired data plans and I am going to be switching to them soon. The thing is though, that I can get in and sign a contract before July 7th and I can have unlimited data for 2 years. The problem there is that the Pre3 won't be out then so I won't be able to get the Pre3 with the contract.

So my question is, how can I get around this and get in before the tired data plans but not have to pay $500 for a Pre3? Another question is how much data you you people use monthly? I don't listen to Pandara but do use YouTube a bit and surf the web quite often. The good part is that I will have Wifi at home (which is were I work).
    sign up for a family line (2) lines and activate a cheap flip phone on the second line (second line 9.99) order a pre 2 on the first line and your data package. then when the pre 3 comes out sign it up on the second line. wait a few hours and switch the pre 3 to the first line, drop the data on line 2 and reactivate the cheap flip phone. problem solved. (everyone has a cheap flip phone laying around to activate. someone would probably give you one)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moegumby View Post
    sign up for a family line (2) lines and activate a cheap flip phone on the second line (second line 9.99) order a pre 2 on the first line and your data package. then when the pre 3 comes out sign it up on the second line. wait a few hours and switch the pre 3 to the first line, drop the data on line 2 and reactivate the cheap flip phone. problem solved. (everyone has a cheap flip phone laying around to activate. someone would probably give you one)
    Best idea yet! Just might work and is perfect for me! Thanks!
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I'm not a Verizon user, but maybe you can buy a $50 palm pixi and activate it with a new Verizon account. Then you can purchase the Pre3 when it comes out. Would the discount price $199 still be available then? Those cheap pixis are everywhere.
    TP + P3 = synergized
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PR3mier View Post
    I'm not a Verizon user, but maybe you can buy a $50 palm pixi and activate it with a new Verizon account. Then you can purchase the Pre3 when it comes out. Would the discount price $199 still be available then? Those cheap pixis are everywhere.
    Can u still buy a $50 pixi from Verizon?
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    How about Newegg.com for $58?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nc.-_-75101038

I would first try to find out if newly opened accounts not on a 2 year contract are allowed to "upgrade" to a discounted new smartphone with a 2 year contract. Good luck
    TP + P3 = synergized
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Seriously considering a Thunderbolt/Charge to gain a 4G unlimited plan.. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Seriously considering a Thunderbolt/Charge to gain a 4G unlimited plan.. *sigh*
    And 12 minutes of battery life!

Just so you know is also cost 10 bucks for each gig you go over on Verizon according to all the rumored prices.
    According to netstat, the highest month of data I've used is over 7 gigs. I have no WiFi at my primary house, only at school and the coffee shop I frequent.

I'm going to die when I upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    And 12 minutes of battery life!
    Seconded. The Thunderbolt can't turn off LTE. It's battery life woes are legendary.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast