Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I'm sure, like Sprint, if you sign a contract with a phone and then changes phones, you could be subject to the new rules.

Similar to Sprint and their $10 smartphone charge - even if you are in the middle of a contract.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Moegumby View Post
    sign up for a family line (2) lines and activate a cheap flip phone on the second line (second line 9.99) order a pre 2 on the first line and your data package. then when the pre 3 comes out sign it up on the second line. wait a few hours and switch the pre 3 to the first line, drop the data on line 2 and reactivate the cheap flip phone. problem solved. (everyone has a cheap flip phone laying around to activate. someone would probably give you one)
    Good idea! Aside from $10 extra per month, the only problem I can see is if Verizon would require updating to the new data/pricing structure on the entire family plan in order to sign up for the Pre 3 on the second line (even if you don't have a contract on said second line).

Is anybody sure they wouldn't require an update to the entire family plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you sign up before the change, you can use the old plan for as long as you keep your phone. They won't force you to change your plan unless/until you upgrade. So get a Pre2 and treat it gently
    No. Read carefully, Just sign up any old gadget that will take the dataplan and you can upgrade and keep it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...omplete-detail
  4.    #24  
    I have another question. Would I be able to walk in and create a Family Plan with 2 lines, buy a phone from them for the first line and then wait for a Pre Plus or Pixi Plus in the mail and activate it on the account when it gets there? But the important part is that the line need to be activated already and the contract there so i can be grandfathered in.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    here is my plan

I bought a pixi a few months ago, I will get a vzw plan using that, without entering any contract

I will not switch my sprint number over right away but wait a little until I am sure I will drop sprint, then port that number. The corporate store near me said that would not spoil my unlimited data

I will buy a different phone when one I want (like pre3) exists on vzw. The same corp store said that the retaining of my unlimited data on upgrading phones will likely depend on weather that particular phone is tagged in there system as requring a certain plan, and we won't know that until they are out.

so that's about it for me.
    There are four lights.
    I asked a couple of Verizon reps about this very issue (one one the phone, another at a Verizon store) and they both confirmed that it is possible to keep your unlimited plan after an upgrade.

Here's my situation:

I'm on Verizon's 2-year contract that expires in August. I'm now using a crappy feature phone and would like to upgrade once Pre3 comes out. But Pre3 probably won't come out before July 7 and we don't know the release date let alone whether Verizon will carry it for sure. In the meantime, I want in on the unlimited plan before it gets phased out.

I suggested to the reps that I might get a no-contract Palm Pixi Plus for $50 on Amazon and activate it with Verizon and use that and wait until Pre 3 comes out presumably sometime in July or August. Both reps confirmed to me that since I would be merely doing a device change, I would still be on my old contract (which expires in August) and be able to lock myself into the unlimited plan (provided that I sign up before July 7). Once Pre 3 comes out, I would not only be able to still use my $30 credit towards my upgrade to Pre 3 (since Pixi Plus wasn't an "upgrade") I would be grandfathered in to the unlimited plan even after the upgrade.

So I ordered a Pixi Plus from Amazon for $47 yesterday and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. (My very first webOS phone!) I will activate it tomorrow when it comes and use it until we get Pre 3, keep my unlimited plan, and be happy.

Of course, there's always a possibility that Verizon may not honor what its reps told me or just flat out change their policies in the future, but I'm willing to take that risk.
    Last edited by jihanj; 07/01/2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jihanj View Post
    I asked a couple of Verizon reps about this very issue (one one the phone, another at a Verizon store) and they both confirmed that it is possible to keep your unlimited plan after an upgrade.

Here's my situation:

I'm on Verizon's 2-year contract that expires in August. I'm now using a crappy feature phone and would like to upgrade once Pre3 comes out. But Pre3 probably won't come out before July 7 and we don't know the release date let alone whether Verizon will carry it for sure. In the meantime, I want in on the unlimited plan before it gets phased out.

I suggested to the reps that I might get a no-contract Palm Pixi Plus for $50 on Amazon and activate it with Verizon and use that and wait until Pre 3 comes out presumably sometime in July or August. Both reps confirmed to me that since I would be merely doing a device change, I would still be on my old contract (which expires in August) and be able to lock myself into the unlimited plan (provided that I sign up before July 7). Once Pre 3 comes out, I would not only be able to still use my $30 credit towards my upgrade to Pre 3 (since Pixi Plus wasn't an "upgrade") I would be grandfathered in to the unlimited plan even after the upgrade.

So I ordered a Pixi Plus from Amazon for $47 yesterday and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. (My very first webOS phone!) I will activate it tomorrow when it comes and use it until we get Pre 3, keep my unlimited plan, and be happy.

Of course, there's always a possibility that Verizon may not honor what its reps told me or just flat out change their policies in the future, but I'm willing to take that risk.
    I just did the same thing, but switched from my pre on sprint. Got 2 pixis on amazon for me and my wife and started a no contract plan with unlimited data. When the pre3 comes out or better, I can get the 2 year price with contract. At least I'm now grandfathered in for the data. It's 2 days with the pixi plus from my pre minus on sprint, and I like it!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    I had a web chat with a Verizon person a few minutes ago:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Sonya'

Sonya: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

You: Jim Robertson

You: Yes. I have a couple questions...

Sonya: Hello Jim. How are you today?

You: If I sign up for a unlimited talk-text-data single plan by the 6th does that get locked in before the tiered pricing takes effect?

Sonya: Correct

Sonya: o you know which phone you will like?

You: My family plan on Sprint at the moment is a bit fragmented so I would be bringing other numbers over at a later date and wanting to convert the single plan to a family plan. Would that mess up keeping the unlimited structure at that time?

You: I would start with whatever is free as the phone I am wanting is the Pre 3 and it isn't out yet...but I heard it will be on Verizon by the end of the month.

Sonya: One moment

You: np

Sonya: you can start service and add new lines at anytime. It will not mess up your unlimited plan at all

You: okay, great.

Sonya: If you start service today. you will have 14 days to reaturn you device for anew one

Sonya: return*8

Sonya: after the 14 days you will have to pay full retail price for another device or wait for your next upgrade date.

Sonya: do you knwo which phoen you willike to start with today?

You: No...I spoke with a co-worker and he said I would have 30 days to exchange it...

You: Actually, what he said was I had 90 days to exchange and 30 days to just cancel the service...

Sonya: I think your co worker was misinformed. it will be 14 days to try the device and be able to return it with no termination fee.

You: Is it possible to bring my own device to Verizon's network?

Sonya: You can but it will have to be a verizon device. a phone that dont have to have a chip (SIM CARDS) in the back.

You: It's a CDMA original Palm Pre...it doesn't have a sim card.

Sonya: Oh ok great yes that phone you will be able to start with, You will also be able to start that line with out a 2 year contract since you have your own device and can stop service at any time for that line. even if your other lines will be in contract. Do you have the phone now? will you like to start your line up today?

You: I have the phone now but I would like to go into one of the local dealers here in Boise, Idaho because I need to start developing a relationship with someone here. I am a very loyal customer. I've been with sprint 12 years now but I simply cannot wait while they pass up every webOS (palm/HP) phone that comes out! I've been elligible for an upgrade with them for over a year now but will not get anything that doesn't have the webOS operating system on it...

Sonya: I can understand that. Was i able to help you with all your questions and concerns today?

You: Yes, thank you.

Sonya: Ad is there anything else I can help you with before you "End Chat"?

You: No...thanks for your help.

Sonya: It has been my pleasure to chat with you today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further assistance . Thank you and have a great day!

Your chat session has been ended by your Verizon Wireless online agent.

Is this person correct? Can I really just walk with my Pre- and go to Verizon??
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    The way I see it, you have three options.

1. Buy a pre 2 on the 6th, the last day of unlimited and hope the pre 3 comes out within the 14 day return period. If it doesn't, at least you still have webos on unlimited.

2. Sign up with an iPhone 4 on Verizon, then sell it when the pre3 comes out and use that money to buy it at full price. Reason i say the iPhone is because it has the highest resale value.

3. Go to best buy and sign up with Verizon and a samsung fascinate. The fascinate is free right now at best buy (but retails for $599), and get the buy back program with it ($40 with black tie included). When the pre 3 comes out, go to best buy and sell back your fascinate, they will give you $300 which you can use towards the pre3 at full price. If the pre3 is $599 (which is what most high end smart phones sell for) it ends up costing you $339 ($599-$300 gift card+$40 for buyback). Probably $100 more than it would normally cost you, but you get to keep unlimited data.

Of course this all depends on if Verizon allows you to keep unlimited when you switch phones. AT&T has up to now allowed you to, so I would figure Verizon would too, but they're data plans are also more expensive than at&t's, and I figured they would at least match them.
    My son just got back from work (at Best Buy) and after talking it over with him it seems the safest thing to do (with the least amount of work...ie. no Ebay) is to Buy a Verizon phone/contract thru Best Buy and pay the $40 buy back fee. You return the phone within 6 months they give you 50% of the MSRP toward another phone at MSRP. You can do it between 7 months and a year and get 40%, etc...that way if the expected unexpected delays on launch dates hit you have plenty of wiggle room. Another advantage of buying thru Best Buy is all rebates are up front. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I am glad someone started this thread because I am in the same situation. I am planning to buy a Pixi Plus on Craigslist then get the Pre3 when it gets here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12