Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'll probably get a VZ Pre3 out of contract and get it activated on Sprint. Since there is NO VZ where I live I don't see why Sprint wouldn't activate it for me.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    You can't activate another carrier's CDMA phone on a carrier other than the one it was intended for, so that won't work. You can sometimes switch a phone between a carrier's prepaid and postpaid services, but going from one carrier completely to a different one... Not going to happen without changing ESNs, which is illegal.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I am re-thinking this after getting my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Android really isn't all that bad. I miss having cards, true multi-tasking and all the gestures. The apps go a long way towards making up for the loss though.

So I may go with the Galaxy II or Photon on Sprint. Although, I still miss the idea of swapping out sim cards on a whim.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You can't activate another carrier's CDMA phone on a carrier other than the one it was intended for, so that won't work. You can sometimes switch a phone between a carrier's prepaid and postpaid services, but going from one carrier completely to a different one... Not going to happen without changing ESNs, which is illegal.
    I thought it was possible if the Sprint rep provisions the ESN. VZ doesn't exist where I live and the CDMA frequencies are compatible, aren't them?

I thought some forum members got Sprint to activate Pre Plusses without having to use metadoctors.

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    I'm thinking of the Sprint Motorola XPRS or the Verizon Pre 3. I suspect that things like really good google maps/navigation on an Android will soften the blow of losing WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    I thought it was possible if the Sprint rep provisions the ESN. VZ doesn't exist where I live and the CDMA frequencies are compatible, aren't them?

I thought some forum members got Sprint to activate Pre Plusses without having to use metadoctors.
    Thsi would have been my first choice, but I don't think it can be done. Of course, there's plenty of Verizon coverage around here.
    You are probably reading posts from people who have turned their Sprint Pres into Pre Plusses by switching radio boards, not by activating VZW Pres on Sprint. Sprint will not activate a VZW phone, period.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Out of all my time on these forums, I have seen 2 people claim they got a Sprint rep to activate a VZW phone. Even if they actually did, clearly it isn't easy and most people couldn't. This is why so many people have frankenpre'd, if it was easy to get activated on Sprint, people wouldn't be going through all this work.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You are probably reading posts from people who have turned their Sprint Pres into Pre Plusses by switching radio boards, not by activating VZW Pres on Sprint. Sprint will not activate a VZW phone, period.
    I'm sure I saw claims as mentioned in the above post, Sprintifying a Pre Plus requires metadoctoring, I know, I've gone from a Pre- to a Sprintified Pre Plus to a Franken Pre2 that I now use, all with the original Pre- comm board and using metadoctors.

I never tried to get Sprint to activate a VZ phone because I didn't need to but for the Pre3 I wont be able to change boards. I'll call my local Sprint store and ask, since VZ has no market here they might be able to bend some rules.
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 07/15/2011 at 01:21 PM.

The problem is the person you talk to right now, isn't gonna be the one activating the phone most likely. Just saying its a gamble.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    surely the folks over at webosinternals will find some way to hack the pre3 onto sprint for you guys...right?
    This was doable for Pre Plus and Pre 2 because there's a pin-to-pin compatible modem to swap. If there's no Sprint equivalent hardware I can't imagine you can get that working unless you resort to ESN burning or someone breaking on to Sprint's system and modifying their whitelists...

... and that's an idea there actually. Any Sprint employees around here want to be on the dark side to help on this?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    I am re-thinking this after getting my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Android really isn't all that bad. I miss having cards, true multi-tasking and all the gestures. The apps go a long way towards making up for the loss though.

So I may go with the Galaxy II or Photon on Sprint. Although, I still miss the idea of swapping out sim cards on a whim.
    I have Galaxy Tab (7") as well. I still don't like Android but nothing will ever be webOS. Itching Thumb is keeping me sane when using Android. It's really the card view that I miss more than anything and secondly the ease of being able to kill an app with the upswipe instead of holding the home button and fumbling thru the list of open apps and killing them.

If Galaxy II ever does come to sprint (i have a feeling it won't... b/c well you know, it's sprint), I'd probably get that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This was doable for Pre Plus and Pre 2 because there's a pin-to-pin compatible modem to swap. If there's no Sprint equivalent hardware I can't imagine you can get that working unless you resort to ESN burning or someone breaking on to Sprint's system and modifying their whitelists...

... and that's an idea there actually. Any Sprint employees around here want to be on the dark side to help on this?
    HMMMM federal felonies vs. switching carriers ... I could see some on this site resorting to that
    I'm strongly considering a WP7 phone via Sprint. It's only the HTC Arrive now, but hopefully more choices soon. From what I've heard and read, it seems the WP7 experience is superior to Android and currently a better business phone than WebOS.
    If Sprint really doesn't get the Pre3, then I'll just have to survive with my FrankenPre2 until Sprint gets the Pre4.
    - Bubba
    Ordering an XPRT this week to replace my Pre-.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    Ordering an XPRT this week to replace my Pre-.
    I'm considering that phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...-xprt-pre.html

Please let me know how you like it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234