Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Well V finally dropped the other shoe....

Take care,

Jay

RIP unlimited data: Tiered data plans coming to Verizon July 7th
    By Ricardo Bilton | June 20, 2011, 10:33am PDT

RIP unlimited data: Tiered data plans coming to Verizon July 7th | ZDNet

Well, the news is finally here: Verizon will join the tiered data plan bandwagon next month.

According to DroidLife, Verizon will introduce the new plans starting on July 7th, the day after its 4G hotspot promo ends.

For $30 a month, customers will get 2GB of data, a clear pay-more-for-less deal in comparison to the unlimited deal it offers to new iPhone customers. 5GB and 10 GB plans wil go for $50 and $80, respectively. Verizon will also offer tethering plans, which cost $20 per extra 2GB. In all, the rates are a tad bit higher than the equivalent plans offered by AT&T.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Are the overages still $10 per GB?
    Here's hoping Pre3 shows up on many regional carriers.
    All the more reason to make sure you are on a grandfathered plan now.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    How can I see what my past 6 months of data have been on vzw.com? This might save me some money, I should be able to drop my wife's pixi to a $30 plan.
    please hp and vzw, release the Pre3 on vzw before july 7th!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    All the more reason to make sure you are on a grandfathered plan now.
    Unfortunately, with Verizon you only get to remain grandfathered as long as you keep the phone you're using. Unless they change it, if you upgrade even at full price they can kick you off your old data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    please hp and vzw, release the Pre3 on vzw before july 7th!!!
    If I were a cynical person, I would think that this may be why the release date is after July 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Unfortunately, with Verizon you only get to remain grandfathered as long as you keep the phone you're using. Unless they change it, if you upgrade even at full price they can kick you off your old data plan.
    Hmmm... I was specifically told otherwise. I will have to check again.

Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    If I were a cynical person, I would think that this may be why the release date is after July 7.
    but vzw doesn't care about webos...so just release the damn thing
    For all vzw customers upgrading their phones after july 7th, they have to switch to a tiered data plan. With the minimum plan being $30 for 2gb of data.

vVerizon tiered data plans coming July 7, starting at $30? (update) -- Engadget

If you upgrade before july 7th, you can still have the unlimited plan for 30 bucks a month until your contract runs out (in 2 years). I'm due for an upgrade now and this is really a shame. Im waiting for the Pre3 to come out, but now I really wish it came out before July 7th.

This tempts to me to get a Droid Charge now so I can stick with the unlimited plan. But I really want a pre 3. Anybody else ****ed about this?
    So they basically raised the price on their data plan? It used to be $30 for 5GB/unlimited, now it's $20 more? At least AT&T gave you a plan for $5 cheaper, this is the same price or more as what it was before. Damn. And I really wanted to get off Sprint too. Although I'm sure they'll follow suit soon enough.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Hmmm... I was specifically told otherwise. I will have to check again.
    Hey, if they've changed how the data features link to your account I'll be happy to purchase my phones unsubsidized from now on. Let us know what you find.
    looks like vzw is charging 4G prices for non4G phones. The current plan is 30 for "unlimited " data, along with "free mobile hotspot" for pre/pixi plus users.

now, they will charge the same prices, starting at $30, whether you have a 3G (like the Pre3) or 4G phone...but for only 2 gb of data...then add $20 for a mobile hotspot with 2 gb...in other words, $20 more than what current webos users are paying on vzw.

just ridiculous. It makes paying for 3G service like the Pre3 silly. Add this to more of the "anti-webOS" clout on vzw
    Starting at $30? They're eliminating their lower tier data plan too?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I really hope the Pre3 is launched before then. This is one of the biggest reasons I was going to go to Verizon over AT&T if they were the only 2 to get the Pre3. Not sure what to do about this now.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Do you have to be on contract to be grandfathered in? Or if you start a line of service before will it stay?

they have a 15day return policy if i buy a pre 2 on the 7th that gives me till the 22nd to return it.. the pre3 is "rumored" for 21st... could i return the2 get 3 and keep my unlt data? If not.. fraken pre2 for me.
    but if you already have a Pre2, you can keep your unlimited plan.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Do you have to be on contract to be grandfathered in? Or if you start a line of service before will it stay?

they have a 15day return policy if i buy a pre 2 on the 7th that gives me till the 22nd to return it.. the pre3 is "rumored" for 21st... could i return the2 get 3 and keep my unlt data? If not.. fraken pre2 for me.
    They will most likely require a new plan with the upgrade/activation of a palm pre 3. Kind of like the evo 4g and 4g phones stuff on sprint
    Hey, if they've changed how the data features link to your account I'll be happy to purchase my phones unsubsidized from now on. Let us know what you find.
    Confirmed for sure that VZW plans will work like ATT. Once you have unlimited it's there until you change plans.

Engadget even had a story on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast