Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hear me out here, folks.

HP is a global business, selling around the world, where the standard (for better or worse) is GSM.

Sprint, in particular, is suffering most from this problem, since it has both the minority CDMA tech (for voice and data) and the rather unpopular WiMax 4G standard (instead of LTE). It's also the smallest of the majors.

That leads to an impasse. HP isn't going to want to go through the trouble of developing software and a radio for Sprint's proprietary and rare network configuration without a guarantee of large volumes of sales -- something Sprint cannot guarantee due to its smaller size. Sprint isn't going to want to take a chance on anything that's not already wildly popular (i.e. Android).

And handset manufacturers aren't going to want to develop handsets for proprietary networks -- which is why Sprint's phone selection is limited compared to what's out there for GSM.

Verizon is already migrating to LTE, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some variant of GSM voice (or VOIP) implemented by them in the next few years -- with the CDMA network being turned off afterwards. But even in that transitional period, they can offer a high volume of customers that Sprint cannot.

That leads me to a couple of thoughts (as a long-time CDMA user and advocate of the technology):

1) The future is GSM, if you want the latest devices from HP (or anybody else). CDMA will always be late to the party, and increasingly late.

2) WiMax is an interesting standard for data (particularly on PCs), but will play second fiddle to LTE. Smartphones and connected devices will be LTE first and may never release a WiMax version.

3) If you want the latest phone, it's time to go to your local AT&T store. Waiting for HP and/or other players to release phones on Sprint's proprietary network standards is going to be an exercise in frustration -- and I daresay the reason why Sprint's pricing is so much cheaper than AT&T's or Verizon's.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    the future is selling devices......CDMA and GSM.
  3.    #3  
    CDMA devices won't sell in sufficient volumes to make them profitable -- especially as Verizon walks away from the technology. It's already being phased out in Canada.

The cost of developing a CDMA handset is increasing per handset sold as the number of users decreases. It will become a prepaid network option for legacy networks, but HP and others aren't going to spend time to make high-end devices work with a fading network standard.

The Veer -- GSM only -- is the future of phone development. People complaining that they won't buy a particular model of phone until it's available on CDMA will be complaining for a long time and waiting for an even longer time.

I don't like it. CDMA is the better network standard in the USA for call quality and signal availability. But you've got to read the writing on the wall -- CDMA has no future.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Hear me out here, folks.

I do not think you understand what you're talking about.

1. Verizon is the largest mobile operator in the US in terms of subscribers
    2. Verizon is CDMA
    3. CDMA & GSM have nothing to do with LTE and WiMAX
    4. The future is LTE or WiMAX not GSM
    5. WiMAX and LTE are close cousins and WiMAX equipment can be easily and cheaply converted to LTE.
    you have an interesting argument, but i'm not completely convinced though. if HP were more like Apple in terms of products that they release then yea it may make sense. but looking at how HP releases products, a gazillion printers and desktops and laptops and whatnot, i find it difficult to believe that CDMA is the reason why they are sticking to GSM (as of right now, anyway).

additionally, there are existing CDMA webOS phones that exists already, that are smaller than the Pre 3 and the TouchPad, which translate to easier porting in the tech world. i really really believe that it has more to do with Sprint going all-android and HP not able to strike a deal with Sprint. it's sad because i'm still on my pre minus waiting to upgrade.
    The biggest part of the CDMA problem is simple: every device CDMA have to pay the royalties to Qualcomm, while the HP have to pay nothing to use GSM.

For this reason, the Nokia stopped to work with CDMA years ago and all world work with GSM, leaving CDMA only in few coutries...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    i do not think you understand what you're talking about.

1. verizon is the largest mobile operator in the us in terms of subscribers
    2. verizon is cdma
    3. cdma & gsm have nothing to do with lte and wimax
    4. the future is lte or wimax not gsm
    5. wimax and lte are close cousins and wimax equipment can be easily and cheaply converted to lte.
    this^^ +1.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I do not think you understand what you're talking about.

1. Verizon is the largest mobile operator in the US in terms of subscribers
    2. Verizon is CDMA
    3. CDMA & GSM have nothing to do with LTE and WiMAX
    4. The future is LTE or WiMAX not GSM
    5. WiMAX and LTE are close cousins and WiMAX equipment can be easily and cheaply converted to LTE.
    I do not think you understand what he was talking about.
    1. CDMA is only an option in a fraction of countries and for a fraction of the global userbase.
    2. The same is true for WiMax
    3. Tru.dat on LTE being the future.
    4. WiMax not so much.

=> GSM/UMTS/LTE is absolutely the way to go, even if the tiny fraction of global users on CDMA takes it personal and is all butthurt about it, á la "SPRINT IS THE CENTER OF THE WORLD, WHY U NO GIEV PHONE!"
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/09/2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Remember that the Pre3 is a "world phone" and it will also work with the AT&T network if they choose to take it. I'm sure the next phones that HP delivers will be LTE, 4G, etc.
    I don't get the point of the OP's rant. GSM, CDMA, LTE, WiMax are all just chip programming. What matters is the antenna design and the carrier frequencies they're designed for. Just because a phone is GSM doesn't mean it will operate on all GSM networks, especially since North America and Europe don't even use the same frequencies for GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I do not think you understand what he was talking about.
    No I did, that's why I said what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

1. CDMA is only an option in a fraction of countries and for a fraction of the global userbase.
    2. The same is true for WiMax
    3. Tru.dat on LTE being the future.
    4. WiMax not so much.
    1. How many expensive smart phones do you think you're going to sell in all those "other" countries. What are the iPhone sales in Somalia, Haiti and Rwanda and all those "other" countries. The fact is iPhone has close to half their sales from the USA. Japan is also a big market which is almost exclusively CDMA or WCDMA.

2,3,4. I only argued that WiMAX has nothing to do with GSM or CDMA and is easily converted to LTE so be careful buckaroo.

If CDMA didn't matter why did Apple make a CDMA iPhone? It really doesn't matter in the future because GSM and CDMA are going to be replaced. But for now you sell where people are buying.
    Last I heard, Sprint and Verizon sold a couple phones every year. Droid and EVO much? :/
    CDMA = More opportunity to HP

They will sell more.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    While I agree that GSM is currently a better network than CDMA, I also agree that HP needs to sell as many phones as they can and that includes both GSM and CDMA. Now, if Sprint says no to the Pre 3, I'm not gonna sit and cry like a little baby or wait for it. I'm going to at&t and get the phone I want.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Now, if Sprint says no to the Pre 3, I'm not gonna sit and cry like a little baby or wait for it. I'm going to at&t and get the phone I want.
    Okay, but I'm going to sit and cry like a baby, because my plan on Sprint costs me $0 per month, so going elsewhere to get a Pre 3 would be cost-prohibitive.
    The fact is iPhone has close to half their sales from the USA.
    What??? Serious... I believe that you are not well informed about this...

People, please... Ok, I know that the big part of forum lives in USA, but the rest of the world is GSM/UMTS/WCDMA (that have NOTHING with "CDMA" - only the name).

If the Apple has begun to sell IPhones in CDMA, his sucess would be weak...

If do you go to biggest part of countries, your CDMA don't work. Why? Because no have CDMA network to use as roaming. But; in other hand, in all countries do you have some GSM signal... good or bad, but do you find!

WiMax or LTE are the future... but we have to live now, in present! And now, the world is GSM... C'est la vie!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Guys, guys. Slow down. You have all got hooks in your mouths, buying the marketing hype that GSM = global.

GSM is marketed as global, but it is not the global standard. It is the standard in Europe and Europe alone. But as much as Europe would like to believe it, Europe is not the world. There are many other markets outside the US that use CDMA, including the two most populous nations on the planet, China and India.

Stop perpetuating the nonsense that GSM = global.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    What??? Serious... I believe that you are not well informed about this...
    Very serious, and after reading your posts I'm starting to believe I'm the only one who's informed. This is from a couple years ago but things couldn't have changed that drastically.

Apple’s iPhone-powered devices country sales estimates revealed | 9 to 5 Mac
    Very serious, and after reading your posts I'm starting to believe I'm the only one who's informed. This is from a couple years ago but things couldn't have changed that drastically.

Apple’s iPhone-powered devices country sales estimates revealed | 9 to 5 Mac
    correct as well as your other points are correct. Not only that at a min CDMA in the US is huge and very profitable, and manufactures (as you can see by the device refreshes for VZ, and Sprint with Google are alot more then AT&T and Tmobile) have no problem making CDMA devices. Again yes at the end of the day 4G will be the next technology to emerge, and even Sprint with wimax can upgrade to LTE, or (as I believe sprint is already in the process or already doing) build LTE which is seperate then CDMA, and GSM. So regardless of how many subscribers are currently using what, the bottom line is which was said above to make the device for as many carriers who will take it as possiable.
    @Rnp
    Don't feel bad Brazil is still the worlds largest producer of sugarcane and largest exporter of Ethanol.

Muito Bom
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast