Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    So Sprint's not reducing IT'S coverage, but more like reducing the data roaming.

Probably because they don't have as much money as Verizon and it costs them to let people use Verizon networks on their phones and they don't want that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I've been occasionally reading some information. From what I gather VZW divested Alltel to AT&T and Sprint used to roam on Alltel via Verizon so Sprint lost those areas. From your link, looks like this is primarily in the western part of the country.

Separately, Sprint is in talks with LightSquared, a satellite provider that could provide coast to coast 4G coverage, from what I gather. Its unclear what the content of the talks are, however, meaning how much of each network each company would be able to access.

All this seems in flux as well as the ATT-TMobile acquisition, seems hard to pin down maps for everyone right now.

If anyone has better insight than what I've provided, feel free to chime in.
    This map looks weird.

Although it says that Roaming is what's being reduced, the area that is lessened is the dark green coverage. The dark green is used only for native Sprint coverage. So what it looks like is happening is that native Sprint coverage is being reduced and customers in those areas are being put on roaming. So either the first map has a different legend from the second map (provided it's a legitimate map) or its the native coverage that's being reduced.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I also think that Sprint has to periodically renegotiate their roaming agreements with VZW. In addition to losing some AllTell geography, Sprint should still be building out coverage so that there are fewer places where they need roaming. I'll be the patch that forces a Sprint Pre- to always roam for data has cost Sprint a TON of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I also think that Sprint has to periodically renegotiate their roaming agreements with VZW. In addition to losing some AllTell geography, Sprint should still be building out coverage so that there are fewer places where they need roaming. I'll be the patch that forces a Sprint Pre- to always roam for data has cost Sprint a TON of money.
    Or the PRL hack that lets you use Verizon for voice/3G data. I run it at home. Sprint's too ******y to send me a free Airave/vana, so they can kick the bucks to Verizon instead.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I've been occasionally reading some information. From what I gather VZW divested Alltel to AT&T and Sprint used to roam on Alltel via Verizon so Sprint lost those areas. From your link, looks like this is primarily in the western part of the country.

Separately, Sprint is in talks with LightSquared, a satellite provider that could provide coast to coast 4G coverage, from what I gather. Its unclear what the content of the talks are, however, meaning how much of each network each company would be able to access.

All this seems in flux as well as the ATT-TMobile acquisition, seems hard to pin down maps for everyone right now.

If anyone has better insight than what I've provided, feel free to chime in.

That's odd. I was an Alltel customer in an area that is marked Yellow on this map. I can tell you for sure that the merger moved me to VZW not ATN. Looking deeper into the details I think the map is only semi-accurate as my area is not listed in the North Carolina properties divested.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 06/06/2011 at 12:24 PM.