Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If something happens to my palm pre in the next few months leading up to hopefully the release of the palm pre 3 on sprint, will they replace my pre?

i am trying to figure out if its worth having TEP on my account right now.
    For a Sprint Pre -? I'd say no. I think you can find those things on ebay for less than the $100 deductible.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I got rid of it many months ago. I don't think they have Pre's to replace yours with if something goes wrong, so they'd offer you a blackberry or something. You can a Pre on eBay for so cheap that it's not worth TEP. Even if your Pre dies and Pre3 isn't out on Sprint, just use your upgrade on a Nexus S or Evo 3D, then sell that later to get a webOS device if they ever get one. An Evo 3D will probably be worth more than a Pre3 anyway.
    Last edited by ahitz; 05/23/2011 at 09:23 AM.
    With TEP, Sprint will give you a new Pre for free as long as you didn't drop it from a 50 floor building or dump a gallon of water on it. It's nice for people who have a crappy craigslist and don't feel like scourging eBay for a dinged up used Pre-. Without TEP, my understanding is you can get the device repaired/replaced for $35 on the same terms.

With as finicky as the Pre can be, having it was a good idea when I had a Pre-, else I'd have been hunting on eBay for a new Pre five times already. However, since I got a bad ESN Pre+ off ebay for the comm swap, the warranty is a dud on there anyway (I didn't bother to try to take it off without breaking that Palm sticker on the screw), so I dropped it.

The upgrade idea is good too, even you don't sell it outright, you're bound to find someone willing to do an even trade.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    With TEP, Sprint will give you a new Pre for free as long as you didn't drop it from a 50 floor building or dump a gallon of water on it.
    For free? When I was on it, there was a $100 deductible. Which means that you had to pay $100 everytime you replaced the phone. With the average cost of a replacement from ebay/craigslist quite a bit less than $100, I dropped TEP.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    For free? When I was on it, there was a $100 deductible. Which means that you had to pay $100 everytime you replaced the phone. With the average cost of a replacement from ebay/craigslist quite a bit less than $100, I dropped TEP.
    Yes, for free. Sprint changed their TEP policy. As long as the phone isn't obviously abused or water damaged, the replacement is free. If you lose it, damage it beyond pair, or get it water damaged, you have to go through Asurion and that's $100.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    The deductible only applies in certain cases. But I still dropped mine months ago when it became more expensive then the phone, and you get a refurb anyway, so I will just take my chances on ebay/craigslist/here.
  8.    #8  
    I may as well drop my TEP then. i mean, I'm at the point with my Pre where i no longer use a case for it. i no longer baby it. its rugged enough and I'm on the final stretch of the race to a new device. hopefully.
  9.    #9  
    dropped it.
    Depends how accessible new hardware is to you. A secondhand electronics store here in Boston has a Pre on the shelf right now, in "A" condition, for $95.00.

FWIW, I didn't go for insurance on my Veer because I knew I could pretty easily get a replacement, and because I'll probably jump to the Pre3 when it launches. YMMV.
    Yes, for free. Sprint changed their TEP policy. As long as the phone isn't obviously abused or water damaged, the replacement is free. If you lose it, damage it beyond pair, or get it water damaged, you have to go through Asurion and that's $100.
    It's not Sprint's policy, it's Asurion's. And regardless of what the Sprint people tell you, unless they are giving you a phone there in the store, Asurion has final say on whether the phone will be replaced via the extended warranty part of TEP, which requires no deductible, or via the insurance part of TEP, which requires the deductible.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I'm on my 5th pre and TEP has been worth it for me. But then my company pays for my cell phone (yet I don't have an iphone ha!) so I'm lucky there. The good thing about TEP is that for me, it's been hassle free. If something went wrong on pre, I'll just go to the store, show them how it's malfunctioning, and after they confirm it, they usually just order me a new refurb. I've not paid a deductible yet. And the Sprint peeps know that Pres break alot so they haven't given me a hard time. Some ppl have experienced getting a new refurb every xx months... it actually makes you like your pre again every time you get a refurb b/c it feels new but hardware-wise, pre sure are POS.
    You just reminded me to cancel my TEP, as I now have a FrankenPre2...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It's not Sprint's policy, it's Asurion's. And regardless of what the Sprint people tell you, unless they are giving you a phone there in the store, Asurion has final say on whether the phone will be replaced via the extended warranty part of TEP, which requires no deductible, or via the insurance part of TEP, which requires the deductible.
    It is Sprint's policy. They look at it and decide whether or not you need to go through Asurion at all. As long as it's not abused, Sprint will replace it free of charge.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I don't think they have Pre's to replace yours with if something goes wrong, so they'd offer you a blackberry or something.
    Last I checked they were still replacing them with Pre's, but if they run out, they still need to match the core features of the phone. So that would mean touch screen, full keyboard, and the same operating system (if available). You'd probably be looking at a Transform if they run out before the Pre3 (or whatever webOS device they get).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
  16.    #16  
    well, i'm officially running on fumes folks. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The policy on Sprint's website is quite clear that the extended warranty is separate from Asurion and having had a replacement via phone (and in-store), when the rep mistakenly wanted me to go through Asurion instead of the extended warranty, it involved a complete transfer to insurance. When I told the Asurion rep I didn't need a deductible replacement, but a warranty replacement, they transferred me back to Sprint. Once you get to insurance, they're already at the stage where they want to charge you $100 because they believe Sprint had a legitimate reason to transfer you to insurance. If you don't want to be charged the $100 and you're doing a phone call, it falls on you to convince Sprint to send you one under extended warranty, not Asurion.

I've seen a woman with a cracked screen on an EVO get it fixed for $35 without having the TEP and thus Asurion, so obviously Sprint has its own say in their adjusted repair/insurance terms.
    Last edited by malpha; 05/24/2011 at 04:13 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    No sooner did I cancel my TEP last week when half my keyboard went dark. Still, with Pres no longer being replaced I still don't regret canceling. Worst case scenario I can reactivate my Treo Pro until the Pre3 (c'mon Sprint!) comes out.
    The policy on Sprint's website is quite clear that the extended warranty is separate from Asurion and having had a replacement via phone (and in-store), when the rep mistakenly wanted me to go through Asurion instead of the extended warranty, it involved a complete transfer to insurance. When I told the Asurion rep I didn't need a deductible replacement, but a warranty replacement, they transferred me back to Sprint. Once you get to insurance, they're already at the stage where they want to charge you $100 because they believe Sprint had a legitimate reason to transfer you to insurance. If you don't want to be charged the $100 and you're doing a phone call, it falls on you to convince Sprint to send you one under extended warranty, not Asurion.
    Asurion manages BOTH the insurance and the extended warranty provided by TEP. If you read the TEP brochures, you will see that the extended warranty coverage is provided by Asurion Warranty Protection Services LLC, and the insurance coverage is provided by Continental Casualty Company (managed by Asurion Protection Services LLC).

http://shop2.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/...ertificate.pdf

http://shop2.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/...ertificate.pdf

So Asurion is involved either way, whether or not you are required to pay the deductible.

If you've got a nice Sprint store that likes to give out replacement phones, that's awesome. But don't confuse that with TEP policy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    If something happens to my palm pre in the next few months leading up to hopefully the release of the palm pre 3 on sprint, will they replace my pre?

i am trying to figure out if its worth having TEP on my account right now.
    How it works is if they have no Pres to give out, you get the next thing and they reserve the right on the choice. If they wouldn't give you the Pre3, they they could offer it to you for a premium. Sprint was offering me the Epic for another 100 bucks but that is on top of the 100.00 copay so youre better off taking the upgrade token.

Since right now they have no other webOS device andwill not give me one right now, outlook for Sprint Pre 3 is grim, and still have my upgrade token with no contract right now, I've dropped TEP on my account.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast