Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I got the email about Google Voice integration, and I have been waiting and deciding, until I realized that I don't have enough information to make a decision.

First, I would be using my current number if I did this. So, aside from visual voice mail, what other advantages would I have from this? Would I be able to call-block, etc?

Second, when the less technically savvy members of the family pick up the Sprint phone (or our "home" phone is my old Treo 755 with our old home number ported to it), will they have to do extra things to make or receive a call? Or, will it be just like it currently is with the phone as a Sprint cell?

Finally, if someone wants to hear voicemail, do you still just dial your voicemail number from the phone (in this case, press and hold 1)? If it involved making a call, entering a code, and going through several menu options, my family will be furious!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I got the email about Google Voice integration, and I have been waiting and deciding, until I realized that I don't have enough information to make a decision.

First, I would be using my current number if I did this. So, aside from visual voice mail, what other advantages would I have from this? Would I be able to call-block, etc?

Second, when the less technically savvy members of the family pick up the Sprint phone (or our "home" phone is my old Treo 755 with our old home number ported to it), will they have to do extra things to make or receive a call? Or, will it be just like it currently is with the phone as a Sprint cell?

Finally, if someone wants to hear voicemail, do you still just dial your voicemail number from the phone (in this case, press and hold 1)? If it involved making a call, entering a code, and going through several menu options, my family will be furious!

1) Yes. You can block, etc. Can customize greetings for specific people, etc.

2) No difference

3) You will get a different number to call to retrieve messages. I assigned "V" to my one touch calling (for voicemail). Other than the different number to call, it is the same.

A few things: I cannot DELETE calls from the phone at voicemal retrieval. It is marked as archived and I have to delete onlline.

Also, the transcription service is kinda bad. Some get sent as flawless. Most are pretty bad (some can be deciphered..others are hopeless)

Finally, I get an email AND a text of the message. I have not looked into whether or not I can choose one instead of both. It gets a little much at times.

1. You can manage by group, yes. Either have it only ring certain phones, not ring any phones, or enable screening for that line. Screening makes the caller state their name and you get the prompt to press 1 to answer the call (after picking up).

2. Nothing needs to be done to pick up the call if you don't enable screening.

3. To hear voicemail, you can either use an app, go to the voice.google.com website, or call the GV number from your phones that are set up in the options. There's options to give direct voicemail access or not.

Best bet would be to sign up with a regular GV number, see if you like the options, and then decide later if you want to use your Sprint number with it.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

A few things: I cannot DELETE calls from the phone at voicemal retrieval. It is marked as archived and I have to delete onlline.

Also, the transcription service is kinda bad. Some get sent as flawless. Most are pretty bad (some can be deciphered..others are hopeless)

Finally, I get an email AND a text of the message. I have not looked into whether or not I can choose one instead of both. It gets a little much at times.
    Thanks! That's awesome! First, I like the idea of being able to block calls, since as campaign season picks up we start getting all the polling calls that I would like to make go away. Second, though, the way it sends both email and text is perfect for me. My wife and I both have Pre's, and while she can check email on hers, she much prefers to check on Outlook on her laptop. I, on the other hand, check all of my mail on my Pre (IMAP with Gmail). It looks like I can have it send the email of the voicemail to my Gmail account, but send the text message to my wife's Pre. That way, we both get the voicemail message.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

2) No difference

Oh, I forgot, as for no difference, how does the phone behave if there is a voicemail? What I mean is, my Treo flashes a LED and the screen says "You have 2 voicemails." Will it still do that, or will the only way I know I have a voicemail is the email/Text that I get?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    the google voice integration means there is NO SECOND NUMBER. you call your number to check voicemail like always. calling 1 also works.

You can turn of txts or emails or both or none.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    the google voice integration means there is NO SECOND NUMBER. you call your number to check voicemail like always. calling 1 also works.

You can turn of txts or emails or both or none.
    Cool! Do you know if most phones behave like they did before when you have a voicemail? In other words, will my treo flash its led to tell me that there is a voicemail? At the same time, would I be able to have it send the voicemail email to my Gmail, and have it send the voicemail text to my wife's cell?
    Cool! Do you know if most phones behave like they did before when you have a voicemail? In other words, will my treo flash its led to tell me that there is a voicemail? At the same time, would I be able to have it send the voicemail email to my Gmail, and have it send the voicemail text to my wife's cell?

Mine does NOT (blackbery). I get the email indicater and the text message indicate. But, I do not get the regular VM notification. I do see "_ Missed calls"