Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Can anyone recommend a good antenna setup for use with my Palm Pre, running on the Sprint CDMA network?

1. Should I get an antenna and plug it into my Palm Pre using an adapter?
    2. Should I get a wireless Repeater setup?
    3. Should I get a passive antenna setup?

What setup would work best? And which company's products should I buy and use?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

What is the problem you are trying to solve? Poor reception in your house? If so, get an Airave from Sprint.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tion-home.html
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    [QUOTE=Syndil;2957366]What is the problem you are trying to solve? Poor reception in your house? If so, get an Airave from Sprint.

[url]

I'm dropping more calls in my home, so that is why I want to get an antenna setup. That Airave costs money each month. I just want something that I can hook up and then not have to worry about. Maybe a repeater system. But there is so many different types out there, I don't know which one is best. I used to have a Repeater system, but I can't remember the name of it. Thanks for the suggestion on the Airave. It would be very useful if I could get one and not have to pay for the service each month.

Have you tried getting one for free? Sprint may say yes or no, but you have nothing to lose, other than your time and effort.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-policy.html
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Yes to Airave for no cost. I just called Sprint last week and it arrived 3 days later. I will be hooking it up tomorrow/Wednesday.

See the thread Syndil linked to above.
    I see pandas.
  6.    #6  
    [QUOTE=Syndil;2957495]Have you tried getting one for free? Sprint may say yes or no, but you have nothing to lose, other than your time and effort.

[url]

I called Sprint up and the rep submitted the form for the Airave. Someone is suppose to call me in a few days. For the people that have gotten this for free, how bad was your service? What did you tell them about your service, which let you get the Airave for free? I don't mind paying some money for the device, I just don't want to pay monthly. If I were to spend an extra $10 per-month, I would rather get 4G instead.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/09/2011 at 06:45 PM.

7.    #7  
    I just received an email stating that Sprint is sending me an Airave for free. Well free as long as I am a Sprint customer. If I were to leave, I would have to send it back or I will be charged $140. My question is, why does the unit have it's own phone number? I thought my phone just connected to the Airave?

And thanks to the users who told me about the Airave! Now hopefully I will get better service at home.

Airave received, had to call in to Activate (despite instructions stating it would activate automatically).
    Works great! 5 bars!
    I see pandas.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Airave received, had to call in to Activate (despite instructions stating it would activate automatically).
    Works great! 5 bars!
    Did the Airave really take a few hours to connect to the service network? And did the unit help increase your data speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Did the Airave really take a few hours to connect to the service network? And did the unit help increase your data speeds?
    maybe? I didn't call in until over 3 hours after hooking it up.

Have not tested data, only voice.
    I see pandas.
  11.    #11  
    maybe? I didn't call in until over 3 hours after hooking it up.

Have not tested data, only voice.
    Well please let me know if the data speeds increased. The main reason why I wanted the Airave was to be able to get 5 bars in my home and from that get faster data speeds.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/11/2011 at 06:46 PM.

Here is the speed test using Airave data (wifi off), 1590 kbps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I see pandas.
  13.    #13  
    Here is the speed test using Airave data (wifi off), 1590 kbps
    Wow those are some really fast speeds! I don't currently get anything near that. Hopefully my Airave will help me get some speeds like that.

Thanks for posting the results!

other tests have been in the 900-1100 range.

www.mobilespeedtest.net 3mb file result is 1212 kbps
    I see pandas.
    other tests have been in the 900-1100 range.

I see pandas.
  16.    #16  
    other tests have been in the range.

If I could get speeds like that I would be completely happy. My current data speeds are on adverage between 180 to 300kbps at home.

Another good thing about using the Airave is that I wouldn't feel bad about using FreeTether with Sprint, because the data I would be using would be coming from my home high-speed data network and not from Sprint's wireless network. I haven't been able use my Palm Pre with my AT&T Fast Access because my phone just never connects to it correctly. So the Airave will finally let me use it.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/11/2011 at 11:06 PM.

17.    #17  
    My Airave came in today and it's amazing! All 3 people living in this house get 5 bars everywhere in the house. My battery life has been increased by a noticeable level. My download speeds are averaging around 2000kbps, and even higher then that at times. I'm so glad you guys told me about the Airave and I'm super glad Sprint helped me out by giving me one. Now I don't need to worry about getting another repeater or using these stupid antenna's anymore. I'm very happy with this setup and would recommend it to anyone.

BTW, you can control access to your Airave and your broadband to specific Sprint phone numbers. Go to your online Sprint account, My Devices, right column select Manage my Airave. Click on Users tab, select Restrict Access, enter phone numbers you want to allow.
    I see pandas.
    Glad to help. I kind of want an Airave just for the gadget sexiness of it, but I really don't need one. Would probably mess with my phone, having a strong Sprint signal and an Airave signal to choose from. Oh well. Nice to know Sprint will lend a hand if I ever move to an area with poor signal.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    One little technical tidbit: calls cannot be transferred between Airave and towers. I.e. if you are on a call via towers when coming into range of Airave, you remain on towers until call ends, plus approximately 30 seconds. Ditto for leaving Airave, so this would mean a dropped call once out of range.
    I see pandas.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast