Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I don't see whats wrong. It's the same as the brochures.

I believe if you move to an area where you would be in roaming or no signal you should be able to get out of the contract without a ETF.
    This is being discussed elsewhere. The "old" map was apparantly wrong/innaccurate/incorrcet/misleading. Bottom line according to the threads is nothing is really different today than it was yesterday
    I like the threads but I do not trust the threads saying it is okay. I trust that sprints website has changed for the worse. It is now a lot worse!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I like the threads but I do not trust the threads saying it is okay. I trust that sprints website has changed for the worse. It is now a lot worse!
    How has it changed for the worse? The coverage doesn't seem that different. Looking at the link provided, the coverage hasn't drastically changed.

If you're no longer getting service in your area, you can speak with Sprint about it and they can probably release you from your EFT.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    The photo that shows most the nation green is suspect. I've never seen such a photo from Sprint with that type of coverage. If you click on the source link, all the other coverage pics seem to originate from the Sprint website. The one photo in question does NOT seem to originate from the Sprint website. The pic/jpg borders are the same on all the other Sprint based pics EXCEPT the photo in question (the pic that shows complete coverage indicated by a mostly green nation).

It would be easier if someone had an older, paper brochure that shows the nation at almost full coverage as the picture in question alleges. A paper brochure would not be as easy to manipulate with photo software vs a jpeg.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Your missing one important point if your not in bright orange the things like Location services(Family Locator, Telenav&Sprint nav) Music store, Ready link and Data Link "Are Not Accessible"

Which is huge for people who travel a lot and use said features on the road.
    It has always said "Data roaming - limited access to some services," but it used to be that you had to click on a link to find out what "limited access to some services" meant. But it's always meant the same thing. Out of all the services listed, GPS is the most important one. And the A-GPS transceiver used in cell phones works faster when it receives info from the carrier, but it will work without any cellular signal whatsoever.

The rest of the stuff--Music Store, Ready link... Who cares about that crap.

Here is a picture of a coverage map from 2008 where you can see the wording:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/images/stori...erage_Maps.png

Here is A-GPS explained:

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to prove to yourself that your phone will track GPS without a cell signal, put your phone in airplane mode and dial ##GPS#. Press "get fix" and it will eventually return your position, however it will do so much slower than it would if you were on-network. You may even have to go outside for it to find the satellites. But it will work. Sprint Nav refuses to even try to get a fix if it detects you are in airplane mode, but as long as the cell radios are turned on, it should be able to navigate even without a cellular signal.

And the "before" map is just plain false. Sprint has not lost any coverage aside from Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. And I don't know anyone who lives there or would want to go there. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I'm not sure who started this rumor, but the map that showed the entire US covered in green was a lie. Sprint's map never looked like that.

Sprint has not lost any coverage, aside from Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming. a.k.a The Middle of Nowhere.

In fact they have recently expanded their 3G data coverage in Texas, Minnesota and Louisiana.

If you want to see the real before and after maps, here they are:

http://www.blogcdn.com/mobile.engadg...anges-0111.jpg

So unless you live in a state that's mostly flat, grows a lot of wheat and has some of the lowest population density in the US, there's nothing to worry about and no reason to leave Sprint. Nothing has changed for you (unless you live in TX, MO, or LA, in which case things have actually gotten better for you).
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    <<threads merged into one>>
    I do have to say that Verizon does seem to have pretty good all over coverage. A friend of mine actually is in Montana now, using Verizon. If you travel, you have to look over the maps carefully to see if you'll get coverage. Those 3 states may be wide open with low population but that doesn't mean people don't need service there. Less choice is never good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    True, but Sprint doesn't leave you in the dark there. You still get roaming coverage, although no 3G roaming. And roaming on Sprint is always free. So if I had to travel to Montana, I wouldn't be streaming any YouTube videos of cats doing silly things, but I would still be able to make calls and get my email. Good enough for me.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11.    #32  
    They lost a huge amount of roaming 3g.

So google maps will still work just not sprint nav? Lame for anyone without an android.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Maybe with the new rules, they can renegotiate.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    They lost a huge amount of roaming 3g.

So google maps will still work just not sprint nav? Lame for anyone without an android.
    Sprint Nav should still work. Any GPS should still work. Sprint Nav won't work if you have airplane mode turned on, though. I just did that to show you that you can still get a GPS signal without getting a cellular signal.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I've been with Sprint for over 12 years... I travel around the country, and have noticed that I am now roaming in areas where I always had Sprint 3G coverage. I also am experiencing weaker 3G signal and worse battery life due to roaming with a poor signal (all with the same Pre- since launch day, and no longer under contract ).

Then proof is in the maps. Click and compare... I'm on the verge of leaving for Verizon... but it will be dependent on Sprint's response to the reduction in service and where the Pre3 lands.

I don't see the point in paying Sprint the same each month, but now with less coverage. Would you pay the same to your cable provider if they took away 1/4 of the channels? I'd doubt it, and I sure wouldn't.

Sprint:
    Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Verizon:
    Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

AT&T:
    Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T
    This could explain why data performance sux all the sudden lately. With reduces towers means existing towers are gonna get taxed more.

Sooo when is Google gonna buy them out????
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Guys, unless you do a lot of traveling in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota, your coverage has not decreased. Sprint has not reduced towers or scaled back their coverage anywhere else.

http://www.blogcdn.com/mobile.engadg...anges-0111.jpg

Mods, can we get the name of this thread changed, or perhaps even that doctored "before" photo removed, since this is obviously inaccurate info? The photo linked above is what Sprint sent out in the press release.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12