Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Just found out that I'm eligible for the 2-year update in June. Which means that if there's no webOS phone in line for Sprint, I can leave with no ETF.

    Sprint has the least expensive data plan, but I'm enough of a webOS fan that I'll switch carriers to whoever carries the new devices.

    Pre3 is cdma, veer is gsm. I'd kinda prefer the Veer. So that's AT&T or Verizon. Which has the better plans, money and service-wise?

    thanks
  2. #2  
    VZW is CDMA, too, so if you want the Veer, your only choice is AT&T.

    BTW have you comparison shopped yet? Nothing could make me leave Sprint. If they don't have a new WebOS phone when I'm ready for an upgrade, I'll just go to WP7 or Android. Won't like it, but the amount of money it will save me... That's hard to argue with.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    VZW is CDMA, too, so if you want the Veer, your only choice is AT&T.

    BTW have you comparison shopped yet? Nothing could make me leave Sprint. If they don't have a new WebOS phone when I'm ready for an upgrade, I'll just go to WP7 or Android. Won't like it, but the amount of money it will save me... That's hard to argue with.
    I guess I wasn't very clear - yeah, if Veer, then AT$T, otherwise Verizon for the Pre3.

    I haven't run the numbers recently, but my phone is such a crucial part of my work it's likely worth it to stay with a great OS. I spent a good chunk of time in the store with a Sprint rep having them explain their flavors of Android. But it'd be like going from Windows 7 to Windows for Workgroups..
  4. #4  
    They may eventually offer those devices with radios for different carriers. I'm currently using the Pre2 on Verizon, and I highly recommend both... especially if you can do it without signing a contract so you can use your upgrade for whatever webOS phone VZW gets next (presuming the Pre3 but...).

    The fact that Palm hasn't announced a CDMA Veer doesn't mean they aren't planning one, only that they haven't announced it... But it's taking them so long to deliver what they HAVE announced that I wouldn't hold my breath...

    The VZW network is the best for coverage and quality. AT&T enjoys less coverage and more dropped calls, but you can surf and talk at the same time...
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, going to their respective pages right now. Did you hear that VZ fired the "Can you Hear me Now?" guy? A marketing icon.. like the "Where's the Beef?" lady, or "Dude, you're getting a Dell".
  6. #6  
    I agree with Cantaffordit. I have had both AT&T and now on Verizon. I can tell you just from my own experience that Verizon is a lot better as far as coverage and customer service. I was never really happy with AT&T. You will probably be spending the same amount of money with either AT&T or Verizon. But as far as comparing pricing to Sprint, from what I hear, they are a lot more expensive.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I haven't run the numbers recently, but my phone is such a crucial part of my work it's likely worth it to stay with a great OS. I spent a good chunk of time in the store with a Sprint rep having them explain their flavors of Android. But it'd be like going from Windows 7 to Windows for Workgroups..
    That is of course your personal choice. Speaking for myself, I don't see the differences between the OSes as being that crucial. If I can get my email, open attachments, and open Word documents and PDFs, I can use it. I don't think any phone is so alien that I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to accomplish all of that. In fact, I consider WebOS to be the most "different" of the OSes, with the highest learning curve. Of course, once you learn it, it's very apparent why it is the way it is, and it becomes very intuitive. But it was definitely very alien when I first picked it up.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. #8  
    I'm a huge fan of VZW for call quality. I'm also here to tell you they have fantastic customer service agents. The pricing sucks big time if you are used to Sprint.

    Sprint is slowly changing their model to be closer to VZW - look at the $10 additional monthly fee for smartphones and realize that it applies per line even if you have a plan that covers more than one line for data in the base pricing. Over time the cost difference may erode.

    VZW doesn't have 1 year upgrades for any major smartphone.
    VZW charges a boatload for data and text services.
    VZW reception and call quality are fantastic - at least in the South Eastern US where I live.
  9. Giblet's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Just found out that I'm eligible for the 2-year update in June. Which means that if there's no webOS phone in line for Sprint, I can leave with no ETF.
    If your up for a new phone in June then you will be able to leave without an ETF in August. Sprint's upgrades are 22 months, their contracts are 24.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    That is of course your personal choice. Speaking for myself, I don't see the differences between the OSes as being that crucial. If I can get my email, open attachments, and open Word documents and PDFs, I can use it. I don't think any phone is so alien that I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to accomplish all of that. In fact, I consider WebOS to be the most "different" of the OSes, with the highest learning curve. Of course, once you learn it, it's very apparent why it is the way it is, and it becomes very intuitive. But it was definitely very alien when I first picked it up.
    From a carrier standpoint, I would avoid AT&T. They have MAJOR capacity problems, which by their own admission is why they are buying T-Mobile. Plus you will have to go through that transition. Ask the Nextel users how a major transition feels ... VZ is definitely the best from a coverage and quality standpoint.

    I agree with your assessment on the OS'es. webOS definitely has a higher learning curve. This is why sales reps don't want to sell it, assuming they ever really learned webOS! Also explains why a casual user doesn't like it, at least not until they spend more time with it. You can pick any Android phone up and pretty much figure it out immediately if you have been using feature phones or smartphones for any time. Lots easier to sell. This really hit home with me when I looked at going to a EVO. I went into a Sprint store right after it came out and discovered I could hardly use the thing. Kept trying to swipe stuff and couldn't figure out how to do stuff. I decided to hang with webOS a little longer (9 months ago ...).

    I just moved to Verizon to get the Pre 2 and it's not really that much more than Sprint. I was able to configure the $69.99 Sprint plan for everything but texting which I don't do much of. So I added a $5 text plan (250 messages a month) to get to the same service plan. So it really is a matter of what services you use. I did add the VZ navigator for an additional $10/month but since I'm not really using it that much because Google maps is so good on VZ, I'm going to drop it.

    The only problem I have on VZ right now is the Pre 2 is hardly usable. POP e-mail doesn't work on anything but pure text messages (no html, graphics, or embedded photos). The PDF viewer doesn't work at all either and this is a killer for me as I take lots of documents around with me so I can send them to clients when needed. There is a ton of other problems as well, which is frustrating since the unlocked GSM Pre 2 is on 2.1 which fixes a lot of these problems. So, not a clear path right now for carrier and phone ...
    :confused
  11. #11  
    Sprint aint taking phones that don't have android on it and ATT's network is bloated/overtaxed. I have a feeling that Verizon will be the winner in 2011-2012 if you ignore the insane prices for smartphone plans.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....

Posting Permissions