1.    #1  
    Apparently, the fun starts just after 'tax day':

Verizon to drop new one-year contracts starting April 17

Welcome to the effects of a concentration of power and lack of competition.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Truly anti-consumer the way the US cell companies are headed. AT&T just jacked up AGAIN their no contract rates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Truly anti-consumer the way the US cell companies are headed. AT&T just jacked up AGAIN their no contract rates.
    Seems like the rates should be cheaper if you buy the phone outright and go with a no contract plan. Is it higher no matter how you supply the phone? ('Bring your own' or purchase off-contract from the carrier?)
    They just eliminated me as a potential customer. The max contract I will sign next is one year.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
  5.    #5  
    Hopefully all of the other carriers will not follow suit. Can't see why AT&T won't do the same.
    terrible news.
    I don't like the fact of having contracts either with but how many of us as a whole like to impulsively jump ship every year or sooner? People that impulsively get new phones are already used to buying them out outright. Count on all them gettting together on this, what would grind my gears is getting hit with the 2year contract at the same cost of 1 year all the sudden, excluding phone prices.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  8.    #8  
    Because phone ownership has moved into the world of entertainment and status (in a fashion similar to one's favorite sports team), the carriers know they can get away with this. Not a lot different than paying $100.00 for a $40.00 jersey just because it has a team logo on it, and so is deemed more desirable.

I'm guilty there too. 6 years ago, I'd ask about the price, look at the features and balance both into the decision to buy. Now, we pick the phone we like, and if the price is not TOO outrageous, we buy it with less thought of the price vs. function vs. need calculus.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Seems like the rates should be cheaper if you buy the phone outright and go with a no contract plan. Is it higher no matter how you supply the phone? ('Bring your own' or purchase off-contract from the carrier?)
    I thought the plans are the same, contract or not. It's the phones and early upgrades they are raping people over. It's cheaper to buy a phone elsewhere. They want people on contracts, that's why they keep jacking up phone prices. I never buy a phone from AT&T, never. I just switch SIMs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I don't like the fact of having contracts either with but how many of us as a whole like to impulsively jump ship every year or sooner? People that impulsively get new phones are already used to buying them out outright. Count on all them gettting together on this, what would grind my gears is getting hit with the 2year contract at the same cost of 1 year all the sudden, excluding phone prices.
    If you're staying loyal to your carrier, it shouldn't matter if you want a new phone more often than 2 yrs. IMO. You'd think they'd treat loyal customers a bit better. If someone keeps signing 1 year contracts to change phones, they still have their customer. Obviously they may not be able to offer the low discounts of a 2 year, but in the case of AT&T, they are committing highway robbery!! Pay through the nose for a phone because you're not on contract? It shouldn't matter, if they look at your history. Let's say you've been paying the bill loyally every month but on no contract. You'd still get hit with high phone prices I'm betting since I saw nothing about customer loyalty(although maybe you could convince a manager, you never know).

Also this discourages anyone new from trying the network and perhaps signing a contract eventually, did they ever think of that? Say you're new to AT&T and need to see if it works properly for you. Gotta sign a 2 year contract to get a reasonable price on AT&T? It's truly easier to get a phone off eBay or Craig's and then sell later if you can't use the carrier. If you sign a contract, there's no guarantee they'll let you out if you can't use the carrier, plus you have to pay restocking fees now on AT&T. Or maybe they do have to let you out with no ETF within the return period, I'm not completely sure on this. But both have ETFs over $300.

I just remembered, Verizon did not eliminate month to month no contract though, so maybe you can still get by with no contract. Just pay more for the phone but their prices are like AT&T's jacked up prices. They are almost alike in that respect.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/08/2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Messed up a bit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    They just eliminated me as a potential customer. The max contract I will sign next is one year.
    Weren't they the last major carrier to still offer 1 year plans?

I thought the plans are the same, contract or not. It's the phones and early upgrades they are raping people over. It's cheaper to buy a phone elsewhere. They want people on contracts, that's why they keep jacking up phone prices. I never buy a phone from AT&T, never. I just switch SIMs.
    I'm actually looking into that now myself. I heard someone claim that Verizon offers a "Service Only" plan that is actually cheaper than both their more advertised contract plans and month-to-month plans. It's essentially a BYOP plan as long as it's compatible and not already registered on some other plan.
    If you're staying loyal to your carrier, it shouldn't matter if you want a new phone more often than 2 yrs. IMO. You'd think they'd treat loyal customers a bit better. If someone keeps signing 1 year contracts to change phones, they still have their customer. Obviously they may not be able to offer the low discounts of a 2 year, but in the case of AT&T, they are committing highway robbery!! Pay through the nose for a phone because you're not on contract? It shouldn't matter, if they look at your history. Let's say you've been paying the bill loyally every month but on no contract. You'd still get hit with high phone prices I'm betting since I saw nothing about customer loyalty(although maybe you could convince a manager, you never know).

Also this discourages anyone new from trying the network and perhaps signing a contract eventually, did they ever think of that? Say you're new to AT&T and need to see if it works properly for you. Gotta sign a 2 year contract to get a reasonable price on AT&T? It's truly easier to get a phone off eBay or Craig's and then sell later if you can't use the carrier. If you sign a contract, there's no guarantee they'll let you out if you can't use the carrier, plus you have to pay restocking fees now on AT&T. Or maybe they do have to let you out with no ETF within the return period, I'm not completely sure on this. But both have ETFs over $300.

I just remembered, Verizon did not eliminate month to month no contract though, so maybe you can still get by with no contract. Just pay more for the phone but their prices are like AT&T's jacked up prices. They are almost alike in that respect.
    You wont get an argument from me there, just saying there are bigger fish to fry to make them better like dropping data throttling and caps. Its very true that longer contracts will make prospectors think twice now.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Carriers had it backwards because it makes them money. At a time when people didn't need unlimited they forced it on you. $30 a pop monthly no choice=Profit. Now we need it, now you can't get it, so you get overage charges. Overages=Profit. Carriers are *censored* me off!!

Weren't they the last major carrier to still offer 1 year plans?
    I was told at the local Sprint store I can still get a 1 year contact with Sprint. I am going to check every telecom that carries the Pre 3 before I sign.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
  15.    #15  
    Wasn't it T-Mobile that allowed you a cheaper monthly rate if you bought the phone at 'retail' prices?

And Verizon canceling the one-year contract because there was 'little interest'. What? Is it taking up too much space in inventory? As it was, you REALLY had to ask to get it.

( need to clear shelf space for that fresh new shipment of 2 year contracts )