Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Isn't LTE and WiMAX like litte brothers? Then why can LTE Advanced ( I think that's when LTE will do voice ) and WiMAX 2.0 won't be able? Would it just be a software upgrade or hardware?
    what do you mean wimax can't do voice?
    voice runs on a different channel. only takes a tiny bit of bandwidth, unless you talk really fast.
    Sprint uses WiMax to perform data tasks and traditional lines for voice. WiMax can do voice over ip or VOIP, just as LTE can do VOIP. I am not sure what you are referring to...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    The real question is why 3GPP bothered to included a voice channel in the LTE spec at all. Really, with the speeds and latency reduction LTE and WiMAX are capable of achieving, VoIP is the natural evolution of voice on mobile networks, in my opinion.
    I know that wimax and LTE can do voip, and that is why I was asking what they meant by saying wimax can't do voice.
    I believe the OP is referring to standard voice calling. I believe VIOP needs an internet connection. I'm not too familiar with all the VIOP stuff but can someone with a phone capable of a VIOP call reach someone without an internet connection...say a dumb phone? IMO I think that's what the OP is asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Isn't LTE and WiMAX like litte brothers? Then why can LTE Advanced ( I think that's when LTE will do voice ) and WiMAX 2.0 won't be able? Would it just be a software upgrade or hardware?
    Right now no devices actually do voice over Wimax or LTE. When they do it will be some sort of VOIP scheme which I am sure they are currently testing. The only thing they need to be working on is handoff to CDMA/1x voice channel should LTE/Wimax signal not be available or weaken. This is a lot easier in non-voip to non-voip situations like 3G-2G call transitions.

Currently both LTE and Wimax devices need the 3G or 2G radios to be turned on at all times as voice is carried over older generation radios and data is carried over the latest generation radios thus overcoming the shortcomings of the CDMA implementation in US which does not allow for simultaneous voice and data.
    Personally i can't wait for HD voice to come to US. It will definitely come with VOLTE or VoWimax. It is actually doable with current generation hardware (requires codec upgrade) as Orange has shown however no US network has shown interest in it. In my opinion the improvement in voice quality is worth the extra charge they will undoubtedly ask for.

Orange - HD voice
    what ever happened to EVDV or SVDO?
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    what ever happened to EVDV or SVDO?
    +1

isnt verizon using svdo with the thunderbolt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    +1

isnt verizon using svdo with the thunderbolt?
    They are using LTE for data 1xRTT for voice. I don't think you get simultaneous voice and data if you turn off LTE (using a 3rd party widget/app). Can someone confirm?
    Good read on evdv/svdo, Svdo
    Wish it was implemented, probably better range coverage, less power, and although not as fast as wimax or lte it's good enogh for video calls, also rollout would've been easy and quick.
    WiMax and LTE were designed to move the existing scheme of separate cellular and data infrastructures over to one more simplified data technology or "All IP Network" (AIPN) which means you would only need one radio for voice and data in a phone which helps reduce size and power consumption. But conceptually you have to understand that cellular companies are actually getting out of the cellular business in favor of becoming a mobile broadband service provider.

Initially they were not happy about having to do this (change is scary) but they saw that if they didn't they would then loose out to other companies who would. At this point they now see the benefits including lower overhead to operate and manage the network, increased bandwidth, capacity, increased security and simplified worldwide roaming. This means that there is a lower cost per Bit due to spectral efficiency and flexibility with WiMax and LTE.

They also see opportunities for new revenue streams that currently would be difficult or impossible. Think blending voice with other services: such as presence, messaging and social networking. Something like handing off a phone call to a laptop or tablet could be an easy carrier based service. On demand HD video and HD voice are also things likely to come.

All this of course is not going to happen overnight and it will be years down the road when transition is complete but shorter for early adopters who are willing to switch over to a capable phone once the service is built out.

Hope this helps.
    Since I've been waiting for ages for the pre3, I guess I can wait for wimax2 or lte advanced, the real deal 4g technology.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    They are using LTE for data 1xRTT for voice. I don't think you get simultaneous voice and data if you turn off LTE (using a 3rd party widget/app). Can someone confirm?
    It actually has the version of EVDO enabled that can do voice and data at the same time. So it does not need LTE to do voice and data simultaneously
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    It actually has the version of EVDO enabled that can do voice and data at the same time. So it does not need LTE to do voice and data simultaneously
    isnt that version of evdo svdo?
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I don't think it does, please look at the slide in the article.

Verizon employees getting training on the upcoming HTC Thunderbolt | Android Central

It clearly says if customer moves away from an area that is covered by LTE data portion will be suspended until the call ends. So, it is not SVDO.

I know that wirefly had something else written in their promos however, I would take Verizon's training material over anything wirefly has to say any day.
    Ok .. People on this forum are reporting that Thunderbolt DOES support simultaneous voice and data on 3G as well. It is being reported that Thunderbolt has a special chip that allows it to do so and no other phone is capable of doing that yet. Bonnie Cha had tweeted about it before Thunderbird's launch but I wasn't sure if the info was actually verified post launch.

Voice & Data Simultaneously?

If that is correct, Thunderbolt is an even better phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast