Hello everyone. First, this isn't a ***** session. I'm genuinely curious!

My first smartphone was an iPhone in 2007. I loved it: great interface upgrade from my RAZR and it was my first dip into mobile email. While, at first, I loved the iPhone OS, over time I grew tired of it's limitations and the restrictions Apple placed on things, particularly multi-tasking and app approval.

Last year, I made the switch to the Pre Plus on Verizon. I was used to getting updates the day they came out with the iPhone, and I've noticed that Verizon updates to webOS seem to have a significant delay between the time HP/Palm release them to other carriers and the time VZW releases them to customers (ie: 1.4, 1.4.5, 2.1.)

Again, not *****ing; I'm curious why there is a significant delay like this. Why does it take Verizon several months to release a patch that HP/Palm has already sent to other carriers? Is this a Verizon issue or something else? Is there something they do to these patches that causes a delay?
    Quote Originally Posted by iuxc View Post
    Hello everyone. First, this isn't a ***** session. I'm genuinely curious!

My first smartphone was an iPhone in 2007. I loved it: great interface upgrade from my RAZR and it was my first dip into mobile email. While, at first, I loved the iPhone OS, over time I grew tired of it's limitations and the restrictions Apple placed on things, particularly multi-tasking and app approval.

Last year, I made the switch to the Pre Plus on Verizon. I was used to getting updates the day they came out with the iPhone, and I've noticed that Verizon updates to webOS seem to have a significant delay between the time HP/Palm release them to other carriers and the time VZW releases them to customers (ie: 1.4, 1.4.5, 2.1.)

Again, not *****ing; I'm curious why there is a significant delay like this. Why does it take Verizon several months to release a patch that HP/Palm has already sent to other carriers? Is this a Verizon issue or something else? Is there something they do to these patches that causes a delay?
    Its a vzw issue.. They take longer to approve updates..

But just so you know, the last updat you got is the last one for the pre plus

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Oops, I forgot to mention I upraded to a Pre 2 last month.

Thanks for the info. I just wonder what's in the approval process that takes them so long. With the iPhone, the whole process was transparent to the consumer (how it should be with all the business bureaucracy.)
    Thats what H/P need to fix, the updates should be available like iPhone does thru itunes. H/P like Apple shouldnt bow to pressure of verizon and release the updates on their own like Apple does. When Apple says iPhone-4 comes out March 8th, it comes out March 8th. When H/P says in October pre-2 will come out soon on Verizon, it comes out on Feb 17th.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    part of the problem is that the carriers insist on having their branding on everything, including the software. Add to that all of the carrier specific apps that have to be rigorously tested and if there is a problem they expect the phone manufacturer to change the OS so their stuff works rather than changing their stuff to work with the OS. In most cases they will justify the delays by saying they need time to train the tech support team to support the new system, even when the update is nothing more than bug fixes .