1.    #1  
    If Sprint actually gets a new WebOS device, do you care if it runs 4G? I like the idea of the access speed, but for an extra $10 per month whether it works or not, I can live with 3G.

Do you agree with the various tech sites that say Sprint is barking up the wrong tree with (dead) WiMax and that LTE is the way to go for 4G because it's turning into the standard? Keep in mind, whether you think WiMax is "better" or truer 4G isn't my question. Is Sprint going the wrong way and risking being the only company running that platform? Should they suck it up now, trash their WiMax investment, and go LTE like Verizon?

Right now Sprint customers get both voice and data roaming on Verizon. But data roams in 1x on Verizon, which is barely passable enough to pull down a few emails and not enough to push a browser. What happens as Sprint sells more 4G phones? They are already having enough trouble providing their own 4G service (and sometimes 3G) service. Pretty ridiculous in my area because Baltimore was the FIRST 3G and 4G city, yet I spend a fair amount of time shifting from 3G to 1x, which should never happen in a flagship city. And, I know folks who rarely get 4G on their WiMax cards and EVO's.

So... where does this leave us? With 4G phones that can barely get 4G, and 3G phones that don't always get 3G, data roaming at 1x on Verizon?

Not the best options.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    The thing is, whatever smartphone you get on Sprint will now have that $10 charge, so may as well earn it.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    It's a shame that wimax will probably be the next hd-dvd but people hated on cdma a lot as well and verizon has done pretty ok with that. The thing that matters is how well sprint builds out their own network. I think they made the wrong initial investment but it's hard to justify just scraping it at this point. Unless they can cheaply convert the wimax hardware to LTE, but that would shaft all the users who currently own a "4g" phone.
    Don't need it. When it becomes widespread--in other words, when 4G overtakes 3G--it will no longer be a issue. All phones will have it. Until then, don't need it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Sprint is not charging me the extra $10 fee, nor will they ever. And even if 4G was available in my area (it isn't even available in my state), I still wouldn't need it. I use my phone primarily for business use. It doesn't require a super-fast connection to establish a connection with an Exchange server. I occasionally watch YouTube videos when I am extremely bored with no other means of entertainment, and those work just fine (no buffering) over 3G.

Seriously, does anyone actually need 4G speeds? Obviously most people are able to live without it, since they can't get it. So like I said. When it becomes the majority standard, all phones will have it, and thus so will I. Until then, I am able to live without it just fine. I don't suffer from "gottahavethenew****NOW" syndrome.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I am exempted from that for the foreseeable future. Should that ever change, it may become more economically feasible for me to move my plan to Virgin Mobile prepaid--which is owned by and operates on Sprint's network.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    For me if I could get a smartphone and not have data services at all (only use wifi), I would. So do I care about 4g? nope .

More times that not sprints 3g tends to crap out on me anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I am exempted from that for the foreseeable future.
    Care to share how you worked THAT deal?

As for how important 4G is...well, if we're talking a two-year cycle for a phone, a lot can happen in two years. By summer of next year you may be really anxious to access the higher connection speeds. I remember way back in the day being perfectly content with my 56 k modem speed, unwilling to shell out the "big bucks" for a 1.5 mbps DSL setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Care to share how you worked THAT deal?
    3rd-party reseller plan. The amount of money it has saved me over the 6 years I've been on it is staggering, even considering that I have to pay full price for my phones.

If they tack on an extra $10 to my plan, however, Virgin Mobile's $25 plan would be cheaper. However now that I've actually looked into their plan details, I would have to give up roaming and Sprint Nav, so I'd probably still stay with Sprint.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    1.5 Mbps 3G does streaming audio and even SD just fine. Video chat is just fine as is web browsing, etc.

Streaming 720p or 1080p HD is the only thing that can really benfit from 4G. But how often will you use that? Otherwise, keep the 4G turned off to save battery.

But that is the logical discussion.

The person who comes in the store saying they want video chat and that "4G thing" will rarely if ever use either.

Do you know why upscale houses have fancy bathtubs?

Because people insist that they have them.

Do you know how often the average person will use the fancy hottub bathtub?

About as often as they need video chat or 4G.

Have 4G and it does not matter. Don't have it and it matters.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I don't care about 4G, but I'll take a fancy hottub bathtub!
    True, a lot of it is marketing. Many, many people have the "igottahavethenew****now" syndrome. They don't know what "Gs" are, they just know they want more of them. That's why T-Mo and AT&T are blatantly lying, claiming to have 4G service. HSUPA is a 3rd-generation technology, I don't care what anyone else (or any one organization) says.

But these are the same people that buy iPhones for no other reason than they have to have an iPhone because it's an iPhone, and they probably also believe that the iPhone 4 is 4G.

To the educated consumer, 4G is not that important. To the carriers, being able to market 4G is important to their bottom line, but they are all marketing 4G right now, even though two of them don't actually have it, so the playing field seems pretty level in that regard.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I can't help but take the stance of, if their going to charge me $10 extra a month, I want 4g available on my phone.
    True, a lot of it is marketing. Many, many people have the "igottahavethenew****now" syndrome. They don't know what "Gs" are, they just know they want more of them. That's why T-Mo and AT&T are blatantly lying, claiming to have 4G service. HSUPA is a 3rd-generation technology, I don't care what anyone else (or any one organization) says.

But these are the same people that buy iPhones for no other reason than they have to have an iPhone because it's an iPhone, and they probably also believe that the iPhone 4 is 4G.

To the educated consumer, 4G is not that important. To the carriers, being able to market 4G is important to their bottom line, but they are all marketing 4G right now, even though two of them don't actually have it, so the playing field seems pretty level in that regard.
    With that being said none of the carriers have true 4G which is rated at 100Mbps. No one is even coming close to that. LTE-Advanced Release 10 will be able to achieve 1Gbps but will not be available to consumers for around 5 years from now (source).

IEEE has approved WiMAX-Advanced standard that boasts speed of over 300Mbps (source) making these two the only TRUE 4G service.

If Sprint could get this to market soon then I think they have made a great investment just like when they had WiMax first. This brought on alot of revenue before the others caught up with LTE. The upgrade would be relatively cheap compared to changing their whole network over to LTE.

So IMO I feel Sprint made the right choice in going with WiMax and it could pay off for the again if they play their cards right.
    You are operating on the "new" definitions of what it means to be 3G or 4G. I refuse to participate in that. G stands for generation, nothing more. It is entirely possible for a 3rd generation techhnology to be improved to the point of surpassing a newly-introduced 4th-generatiin technology. Putting speed requirements on generational designations is just plain stupid, IMO, and I refuse to conform to that arbitrary definition. It completely ignores the definition of "generation" which is what the G stands for.

WiMax and LTE are TRULY 4th-generation technologies, regardless of how fast or slow they are. And HSUPA is a 3rd-generation technology.
    You are operating on the "new" definitions of what it means to be 3G or 4G. I refuse to participate in that. G stands for generation, nothing more. It is entirely possible for a 3rd generation techhnology to be improved to the point of surpassing a newly-introduced 4th-generatiin technology. Putting speed requirements on generational designations is just plain stupid, IMO, and I refuse to conform to that arbitrary definition. It completely ignores the definition of "generation" which is what the G stands for.

WiMax and LTE are TRULY 4th-generation technologies, regardless of how fast or slow they are. And HSUPA is a 3rd-generation technology.
    I agree...plus I think one has to consider the investment these carriers are making in deploying LTE and WiMAX technologies. These are physical upgrades on a national scale, adding a significant boost to data speeds. Heck, I even use WiMAX as my home internet connection.