1.    #1  
    Unfortunately for the millions of Fantasy Sports Geeks out there (me included), ESPN Alerts, a free service, has dropped Sprint. I'm a Sprint customer and received this today:

Alerts Unavailable
    "Dear Sprint / Boost / Nextel / Virgin Mobile subscribers,
    ESPN Alerts are no longer available from your carrier. We apologize for the inconvenience, however, our service is available across most other US Carriers."

They list 32 different carriers including AT&T, Verizon & T-Mobile. What did Sprint do to them?
    sprint didn't want to pay to play... Ding ding correct
    If they were requiring a large payment from Sprint to access the service, I think Sprint did a good thing. If Sprint wants to keep their prices low and stay away from capping minutes and throttling internet speeds, I don't mind giving up some stuff for that. For a couple of bucks you can get an app like SportsLive and cover the bases. (no pun intended)
  4. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Well I wish they'd drop the SprintTV and Amazon crap to save me a few bucks a month!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Well I wish they'd drop the SprintTV and Amazon crap to save me a few bucks a month!
    total agreement there, but keep sprintnav
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Oh do you remember when SprintTV was GOOD! That was tha coolest. Live channels is where it's at for me. I remember CNN, some comedy channel, cartoons, and other channels. Now they are either gone (CNN) or you have to pay extra.

I don't know why we can't go direct to mobiTV as an app.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  7.    #7  
    Perhaps someone with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile can create a Twitter account and forward the ESPN Alerts. So for us Sprint, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile users, we can still get easily get the information?

Any takers out there?
    Here is why ESPN dropped their alert service from Sprint:

Telescope Inc. - Sprint to raise mobile messaging rates April 1

ChaCha has dropped Sprint as well, in response to the rate increase.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcompg View Post
    sprint didn't want to pay to play... Ding ding correct
    Per the story posted by Syndil (thx!), it's "actually" Sprint that's raising prices. So much for my Simply Everything plan. It's only good for me when companies "Simply" pay for their increased rates by Sprint :-(
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    That's the game now a days! Networks asking for more money... more and more you see it happening to Cable TV and Satellite TV carries.

When you see them announcing that you might loose XY Channel, but can still get it at this other company what a lot of people don't know is that the Networks want X amount of dollars per customer and eventually they have to agree to some increase and is passed on to US the consumer!

Good example with the NFL Network and Time Warner... NFL Network wants to charge the same amount ESPN charges for all its networks to only offer Football ***??? to make it worst they even offered the NFL Network to go on a pay subscription so only the people that want it can pay for it and they said NO and they even went as far as charging the amount the NFL Network wanted and have no profit off it and they say NO.

The only question is, how much higher are they going to keep asking and we keep giving before we say @#$% THEM!!!
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    I think they're charging the marketers more for access, and it seems the small ones like ChaCha may not be able to afford it and make a profit. ESPN though? Maybe they just don't like paying one carrier more than the others are asking.

Though reading the article again, it does seem customers will pay more too. Edit again lol: I do think this applies to marketers. Did anyone hear anything about a customer increase?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/05/2011 at 03:31 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Does this mean less Spam? I'm happy if it does.
    I thought these were opt-in marketing services Sprint is charging for? Spammer send no matter what. But this seems like companies who specifically pay for access to carrier customers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    fyi, twitter works great for fantasy alerts. just gotta follow the right people.
    I could care less, I never knew they were partners to begin with. I just hope they don't cut anymore services while continuing to raise their prices little by little. Pretty soon the cost savings, compared to Verzion (& others), will be minimal leaving fewer reasons not to switch.
    I'm a huge sports fan but I hate constant text and emails like this so I could care less too. I can get most information I want or need just as fast without the constant texts!
    Last edited by makatram; 04/05/2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: missed word
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I usually just follow the sports I am interested in live from ESPN.com, the website. For alerts, though, you could consider an app: I use Basketball Live. I think it costs $1.99 for an individual sport, but $7.99 for all sports. It is pretty good. It has a good design for webOS. I only purchased the NBA version.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    fyi, twitter works great for fantasy alerts. just gotta follow the right people.
    Spade, you're right, not my preference, but twitter is mostly meeting my MLB sports alerts needs. So far, Rotoworld_BB provides fairly good fantasy baseball alerts.
    When we lost the NFL service, I stopped carring about all other special services. Just give me voice/data/text.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....