Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    You mean make a FrankenPre 3? That's what I'm thinking.
    WebOS Internals said it is not possible.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    <<merged>>
    Is there a compromise position for Sprint and HP? Can we buy the phone from HP with a Sprint radio at full price and continue our relationship with Sprint? Sprint wins because it keeps a subscriber, HP wins since they sell a phone and subscribers win because we stay with Sprint and the phone will pay for itself on what we save from moving to Verizon within a year? Does any sanity play in these negotiations? The model exists on GSM phones with unlocked phones and choose your carrier
    if its a world phone with cdma, it will be able to work on sprint, data will be the issue.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Is Apple's patent war going to effect the release of the Galaxy SII here in the states?
    Havent been on this board in over a year...sad to hear that Sprint might not get the PRE 3(Always good to have variety) but I can understand Sprint's thinking on it.

Since I havent been around....what in the world is a PRE Minus?
    Pre Minus is the original Pre...called the Minus because the Pre+ was released later on.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Its sad that it is looking like it will not be getting it but it certainly justifies me jumping into a Evo4G. It certainly fills the void that I was missing with my 06/09 Pre- but I do miss WebOS.

Hopefully the next WebOS phone hits Sprint by Samsung! In either case WebOS is still alive but heres hoping that HP can get a phone on Sprint next time around.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Havent been on this board in over a year...sad to hear that Sprint might not get the PRE 3(Always good to have variety) but I can understand Sprint's thinking on it.

Since I havent been around....what in the world is a PRE Minus?
    Code name for a guinea pig...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    spudland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    if its a world phone with cdma, it will be able to work on sprint, data will be the issue.
    The VZW Pre3 is a world phone with CDMA. It will not work on Sprint. That's not how CDMA works, sorry. The term "world phone" applies to the GSM radio only.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I'm so sad to say that after years of Palm phones and over 2 years with the Pre on Sprint, I could not wait any longer. I upgraded to an EVO 3D. Again, sadly, I kind of love it. It's so nice to be on a modern smartphone that actually does modern things.

It seems like all I ever did with webOS was wait. I waited 6 months for the Pre. I've waited for over a year for some word of a new phone on sprint. I realized that my faith that webOS was coming back to Sprint was just a meaningless hope. I seriously doubt that the Pre 3 is coming to Sprint. And even if the "rumored" slab phone does come to Sprint, it will be at least a year if they keep producing phones so slowly.

Sorry, but I can no longer wait or hold out tireless hope. I want to be on the cutting edge, not a zealot with crappy hardware, taking crappy pictures, putting up with crazy quirks on an obsolete phone. That's not me anymore. Although I'm angered that Sprint will not g

et a webOS phone anytime soon, I've got too good a deal to switch carriers.

There's a ton of things I love about Android and a lot of things i dislike. And I already greatly miss the webOS gestures and most importantly, multitasking. But overall, I'm more than happy about the switch to Android.

I hope that some day I can come back to a thriving webOS. But for now, I'm now enjoying being relevant again.

Keep up the great work PreCentral team, webOS Internals team, Jason, all of the wonderful homebrew devs and all of the forum members who are keeping the faith. I hope we see some rockin HP phones soon & often to make your devotion worth it. I just didn't think that day would come or come soon enough for me. I'll miss you guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    Is Apple's patent war going to effect the release of the Galaxy SII here in the states?
    Okay, that was random...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I will not leave Sprint if they decide not to carry anymore webOS devices price/plan/service all good for me in Bronx NY. I'll just keep getting refurb Pre- as long as they give them to me. When I decide to upgrade it'll be to a dual core 4" WP7 4G device or dual core 4" iPhone 5 4G (if Apple and Sprint hammer out a deal).
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    After lots of research, I've settled on the Motorola Photon.

Reasons; the1gig ram, 16gig onboard storage, up to 32gig microSD, Tegra2 Dual Core, 8mp camera w/ dual flash, webtop™ document editing, car nav dock and HDMI dock with wireless remote, 3usb ports, keyboard and mouse. Oh, and DLNA wireless streaming of music, pics and video to newer bluray players and HDTV's, is pretty nifty, as well.

Almost went for the EVO 3D, But, the 3D feature didn't thrill me, and I like the idea of the docking fuctonality the Photon offers.

Anyone know how functional a Pre is without service? How much still works with WiFi? GPS? Any radio streaming? I plan on using it mostly as a dedicated mp3 player, but was hoping it might be be able to do more....
    Last edited by ToddK; 07/17/2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: forgot about DLNA streaming...
    I'm moving on and retiring my Pre- on Sprint this week.

Will be ordering a Motorola XPRT in the next few days to replace my Pre-.

Reason I went with the XPRT:
    - physical portrait QWERTY
    - 3G (avoid the $10/mo since I'm on Sero Premium)
    - 1860mAH battery
    - notification light
    - autofocus camera and LED flash
    - world phone capability (CDMA in lwr 48, CDMA Sprint locked otherwise)

I tried both portrait onscreen keyboards as well as landscape QWERTY keyboards. I had too many errors with the onscreen keyboard (big fingers) and landscape QWERTY didn't allow for one handed typing, also keys were so far spaced it made me type slow.

3G was a big reason. I am on Sero Premium so getting a 4G phone would cost me $10/mo extra. The fact that we don't have 4G in the metro Detroit area as well as the battery drain of using 4G made me want to try and find a 3G phone instead.

1860mAH battery. I've hated how I've had to be tethered to a charger all the time or risk my Pre- running out of juice (standard battery). The XPRT's battery is larger than the Evo 3D and the Nexus S. Factor that in and the 3.1" screen, I'm rather optimistic that I might be able to make it almost the whole day without killing the battery.

Every phone I've used (dumb, smart) has always had a dedicated notification light. My fiancee has an LG Optimus S without a notification light and it's frustrating. I tried the NOLED application and it still didn't do what I wanted. So this was a bonus for the XPRT.

Autofocus camera and LED flash. The Pre- lacked autofocus which killed the ability to do macro shots, barcode scanner apps, text, etc. The Pre- has an LED flash which I found very convenient to use as a flashlight. The XPRT had both. The 5MP camera may not be the best on the XPRT but compared to the Pre-, it cannot be any worse.

World phone capability. I was really looking forward to the Pre3 for this as my unlocked GSM dumbphone I used overseas just died. Bonus, XPRT is GSM unlocked outside of the lower 48. Now, I can carry just one phone when I travel.

Some other bonuses of the XPRT:
    - gorilla glass. I've had a screen protector on my Pre- which has helped it survive but I sold 3 of my friends on Pre- and their phones are covered in a ton of scratches, not to mention all phones (including mine) have varying degrees of the bezel crack.

There are a few negative points for me with the XPRT but in the end, I decided to go ahead:
    - 3.1" screen (same as Pre-). I was hoping to move up to a larger <4" screen (Pre3)
    - no custom ROMs, limited "tweaking" support
    - not able to tether wired

webOS homebrew and development is so amazing and I will truly miss that. If webOS shows up on Sprint in the future, I hope I'll return to webOS.
    Last edited by rendang; 07/21/2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Looks like a lot of people going to the XPRT. If it's your first Motorola, you may find that you become Moto fans. They build some really high quality stuff. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with the XPRT, but the thing I would absolutely miss the most is induction charging.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678