Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I am staying with Sprint and webos meta'd 2.1 if we dont get any new hp phones. I am on a everything plus plan for $10 cheaper a month than normal, and my wife somehow we got her old sero plan to stay at $40 a month w/ 500 minutes and unlimited data. So I dont wanna go anywhere else. Its either Pre Minus (I got 2 spares on ebay) or a future Sprint webos device for me at some point I hope. I like the Pre 3 a lot as its basically a bigger Pre w/ better hardware. It would be ideal for me.

If we dont get a HP device, I would be hopeful webosinternals will adapt the newer 2.x or 3.x updates to work on old pre's too. I just cant leave webOS for android...and I am gonna get a touchpad wifi so I cant wait!
    you could buy a pre2 and franken pre your sprint pre minus real easy lol !! that would keep you going on a great webOS phone for at least another year !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I am asking myself this question right now. There are a few things to consider. Do I stay or jump ship? Here are my thoughts.

Sprint's end to unlimited data and enforcement of thethering plans.

If the Iphone comes to sprint it will be a major contributor to this. Another would be wifi tablets. Sprint has officially said it before, if the usage gets too high they will end unlimited data. Factoring in the lost revenue due to both of these (tethering and unl data) it is just a matter of time for a company that is trying to survive. At&t realized this and Verizon finally did.

Quality of service

Sprint does not have the best coverage in my area and the data is ridiculously slow. I am talking .3MB in off peak hours and less than .1MB in peak hours. Yes, that is a point before the one and the three. The call quality is excellent where there is service but the coverage are is crap although their map of my local area shows strong signal. At&t has the most coverage but, the call quality can be sown right crappy. However, I could make a call from just about any remote area if there was an emergency. Their data is really fast here. Customer service from Sprint has been the best for me when I call in. However, there is one local store here. Its service sucks. The manger is hispanic and hires mostly hispanics. I asked the resident tech, also hispanic if something happened to their 3G service. He did not know what that was. How did he get the job. Grant it this happened over two years ago and I have not been back since. It suggests to me though why the system has performed so poorly and not been fixed for so long. To me a 1MB to .3MB drop in max dl speedis a huge issue. Maybe they have limited it. The coverage suffered a significant decrease in performance around the same time and has not improved since.

Monthly charges

Sprint wins this hands down right now but, for how long. If they enter the tiered data plan arena and enforced tehtering plan charges they would be just as costly. Cellphone companies tend do adopt their competitors practices that are beneficial or lucrative.

Availability of devices I want

Sprint is already losing this one. I currently have a meta-doctored Pre 2. I am thinking of picking up a spare too hold out as long as I can for a new webOS device on sprint. If there is a way to activate or make a FrankPre 3 for Sprint then I would take that route. I doubt there will be a way though. At&t has the Plus, the 2, and will most likely get the 3 and the 3G Touchpad. What I do wonder is where the largest percent of webOS users resides in the US. I would just about roll out the red carpet and get on my knees if it was sprint and I was HP.

Carrier loyalty perks

I am currently a sprint gold premier member. I buy new devices often if they are available. I would use the one year device refresh (equivalent to 2 year discount for regular customers) discount if webOS devices were coming out that fast on sprint. I also get 20% off accessories and a free airave with no monthly charges. I amy need a device like the airave if I switch. I do not know how at&t handles this.

I am not sure what I will do but, that is some of what is on my mind before I make a decision.
    threed61#WN and jwdesselle like this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh, I'm jumping ship... Gonna wait for a good discount on Pre 3 and jump to att because of hspa+
    I'll give Sprint until January to get a webOS device. Two of my three lines have contracts that expire in January and I'll pay to get the last line freed up. Employer discounts make AT&T and Verizon about the same price, my wife wants an iPhone (I'm working on her) and my daughter would love a Veer or other webOS phone. This is Sprint's 6-month notice.
    im probably gonna frankenpre2 it
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    im probably gonna frankenpre2 it
    You mean make a FrankenPre 3? That's what I'm thinking.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Would be nice! But the thing is there is no way to fit a Pre 3 comm board into a Pre- case. You would have to do some amazing modding to get this to work :P I am sure some how some way there is a way to get this to work! Nothing I wanna go through sadly
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    I was thinking the same thing, but the larger form of the Pre 3 may not allow for the smaller radios to fit in and stay secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Would be nice! But the thing is there is no way to fit a Pre 3 comm board into a Pre- case. You would have to do some amazing modding to get this to work :P I am sure some how some way there is a way to get this to work! Nothing I wanna go through sadly
    Actually, the Pre- comm board would be going into a Pre3.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    IDK guys eventually you will have to wake up and face reality. Holding on to sprint webOS is like pretending to yourself that your ex girlfriend who barely even calls anymore is still secretly in love with you.
    It might have worked out in The Notebook, but I don't think its going to work out on Sprint.
    Wake up.
    it is more about carrier costs and service for me. I can tether free of charge with unlimited data right now. How long will that last is the question. If I go to at&t I pay about $50-60 for phone service and $30 for 2GB of data and no tethering or text messages included. Text messages cost more and its $40 for 2GB of data and $2GB for tethering combined. Crunch the numbers. Think about the lost or untapped revenue stream sprint has. How long will these things remain free? I get less and pay more if I move to at&t. That is great for at&t but_ not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    I'll give Sprint until January to get a webOS device.
    ever hear of a little to late in the game?.... i give some of you on here big props for being soo patient with sprint/hp. most of us including me have moved on to better phones.
    Last edited by fixxxer1022; 07/09/2011 at 09:55 AM.
    Not that it's a terrible thing, but I can't move from Sprint because my company pays for my cell phone and we have about 15 lines on the contract. The likelihood of me convincing them to move to Verizon just because of WebOS phones is nil. It'd take a major Sprint snafu for us to ditch the contract, pay termination fees and pay for new phones at Verizon.

My Pre- (which I've never had a single problem with) is up for renewal. I'll probably hang on for a bit more because I don't like the phones Sprint has right now..

Oh, and now I will NOT be purchasing a Touchpad. I don't see the point without a WebOS phone as I already own a Ipad.
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If this new wave of webOS phones is at all successful, I can't see Sprint not getting a new webOS phone. I seems almost certain that they won't get the Pre 3 when it launches, but I don't think Sprint is bull headed enough to not sell a phone just for spite. If the Pre 3, and whatever other slab phone is in the works, are at all a success on ATT and VZW, I think Sprint would welcome them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    ever hear of a little to late in the game?.... i give some of you on here big props for being soo patient with sprint/hp. most of us including me have moved on to better phones.
    I don't have a choice unless I want to pay Sprint an extra $200 (3 lines) for nothing. I'll give them until the contract is up, and then, if there is no webOS phones available, I'll find the best option out there that does.
    I'm hosed...got a family contract now and the wife loves her Epic and the majority of her friends are on Sprint. Her contract is not up for 1.5yrs.

If I switch her to an individual plans and I jump to another carrier we'll be paying about $50/month more for both plans. I get the same discount on both carriers through work.

All I can hope for is scoring a cheap Pre2 when the Pre3's come out and people upgrade their phone. Or somehow the Pre3 can run on the Sprint network.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    If you have already moved on to another phone then it doesn't matter if the Pre comes to Sprint or not.

I am a webOS fan and not a mobile carrier fan. I have a Pre 2 on At&t and I hope that the Pre 3 releases on At&t this month. If it goes to Verizon, I'll jump ship unless there is news that the phone is coming to At&t as well.
    Rod already said it physically is impossible

Quote Originally Posted by dohcstunr View Post
    IDK guys eventually you will have to wake up and face reality. Holding on to sprint webOS is like pretending to yourself that your ex girlfriend who barely even calls anymore is still secretly in love with you.
    It might have worked out in The Notebook, but I don't think its going to work out on Sprint.
    Wake up.
    this is more about service than the phone. Do I love webos? you bet. Do I love my unbelieveable deal I get on monthly service with sprint for near unlimited everything? heck yes. Do I love the fact that when I tried ATT their service was beyond crap making my sprint service look great? definitely.

so, I LOVEEEE webos. but service/price > phone operating system.

so, franken pre2 it will be for me.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    If you're gold premier and don't want to "waste" your handset discount by letting it sit idle for months and months while you wait for the mystical new webOS phone, then just get the hottest phone avail now (nexus s, evo 3d) and then dumpt it on craigslist for $200 profit. You'll have to wait a year but at least you've got some money to soften the blow.
    Since rumors are that they are back to the design board, maybe HP can redesign the pre 3 in a way to let a pre minus board go in it. A shout out to us and homebrew, and a way to say "screw sprint" . They sell phones and keep us happy. Everyone else is wishing out loud. I may as well also.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast