Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think Sprint will capitalize on the T-Mobile acquisition because their prices are more similar than AT&T. I also think today's Google Voice announcement might lead to future financial partnerships between the 2 companies.

if you throw away past facts for a minute (losing $, subscribers, etc.) Sprint might have the brightest future. They are positioning themselves to have some great devices and plans. Righting the ship takes some time but I think Sprint is heading in the right direction.
  2.    #22  
    I totally agree with everything you said guys, but if someone comes along and puts enough money on the board table they will sell. Besides Apple, Google is looking in to this i am sure of. Interesting to see how this all shapes out. Lot of T-Moble customers will be looking forward to have iPhone. I think VZW is strongly thinking about this buying Sprint this way there be only 2 companies in the USA on CDMA other GSM, pick your poison. I am not saying that Sprint will be bought but it is something to think about. Lot of people are saying Sprint will be bought cause there is no way for them to compete with the big 2, the big 2 always get the newest toys. And people flock to them, not lot of people are flocking to Sprint cause the phones suck. With this new tight Google friendship that Sprint has this just might be what Google is looking for. Since Google did look in to have service this just might be what they are looking for, and invest heavy money in to LTE on top of WiMax.
    Sounds like mostly wishful thinking on your part, rather than realistic speculation.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Lot of T-Moble customers will be looking forward to have iPhone.
    T-Mobile answers its customers' most Frequently Asked Question: no iPhone
  5.    #25  
    I personally dont care this is what i read around different sites there is speculations that someone might jump in and buy Sprint. It makes sense for them to buy and makes sense for them not to buy just depends who you talk to.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I too think that Sprint should continue to go it alone. Everyone I know on Tmo is there because it's cheap. Should Sprint tailor some plans to mirror those of the Tmo ones I think it'd be a great opportunity to pick up some customers.
    I wouldn't want any carrier to buy out Sprint. I like having an unlimited data plan, and both AT&T and VZW impose data caps on "unlimited" plans. This would be a good time for ol' Dan to keep pressing on with those unlimited commercials, bashing the big two for misleading their customers.
    Google has already expressed interest in it's own wireless offering. That would be logical, but likely to never happen. If Sprint sells, it will sell to a group of buyers that will own various stakes in the new Sprint.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't get it. A week ago it was almost a given that Sprint would be buying up T-Mobile...now you're all talking about someone buying Sprint? Sheesh, people...don't get carried away. I think Sprint is in a good position to be the check on the big two, a spoiler of sorts. I wouldn't say this will be the result of frustration from the AT&T/T-mobile deal...a year is a long time and people will be over it by then with their short attention spans. No, I think the biggest plusses they have are pricing and simplicity in their plans and what is apparently a good lineup of new products and the partnership with Google on the GV services. If Sprint can get their act together on the 4G thing, hopefully moving to or adding LTE on a wider network, they'll do just fine. Maybe not 100 million subscribers fine, but they ought to be able to narrow the gap a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I don't get it. A week ago it was almost a given that Sprint would be buying up T-Mobile...now you're all talking about someone buying Sprint? Sheesh, people...don't get carried away. I think Sprint is in a good position to be the check on the big two, a spoiler of sorts. I wouldn't say this will be the result of frustration from the AT&T/T-mobile deal...a year is a long time and people will be over it by then with their short attention spans. No, I think the biggest plusses they have are pricing and simplicity in their plans and what is apparently a good lineup of new products and the partnership with Google on the GV services. If Sprint can get their act together on the 4G thing, hopefully moving to or adding LTE on a wider network, they'll do just fine. Maybe not 100 million subscribers fine, but they ought to be able to narrow the gap a bit.

I agree. I think Sprint is positioning themselves to make a big comeback. They had the Google Voice & Nexus S 4G announcements today; there's the rumored 3D Evo that's expected to be shown tomorrow, along with a bunch of other tablets, Sprint's line up for this year is looking pretty good. It will keep the subscriber growth momentum going, that started with last years Evo launch.
  11.    #31  
    I just checked Sprint site EVO sold out, but they need to get something else besides Android, better BlackBerry, some great pads. Build up there inventory but I still say if someone comes in and puts enough money Sprint will be sold. Or some kind of merger. We can talk here all we want but we dont know what is going in the board rooms, this AT&T buying T-Mobile came out of the blue. So something might happen or not, it does not matter either way. The Nexus phone should bring in some new customers.
    I think Sprint is in trouble. I don't see them as an attractive company to buy. They do have a lot of debt but all Telecom companies have some debt because they constantly have to pay for more towers and to maintain their infrastructure. Sort of like cable companies. They aren't one time buy. It's always an expense. That said they have more debt then they should. But they are only barely profitable and only recently.

The other thing is the basics of their business. They put a lot of money into WiMax but WiMax is not a great business for them. They've lost many customers on bad service during their launch specifically places like Baltimore, i think. Wimax which means phone makers have to make a different phone for them so its tough to get phones which means they may struggle to get phones as fast. Now Sprint owns 51% of Clearwire. Clearwire, runs wimax networks, and has said it's not that great a business and they are currently testing LTE networks, in an anticipation of moving over to LTE. But as i've read it the problem is Clearwire's allocated LTE spectrum is not the same as Verizon and AT&T's. It's a different bandwith, has less building penetration, and for every one tower Verizon and AT&T build Clearwire would have to build 2 to get the same amount of coverage. Now that would give them more bandwidth but, at more cost. Thus anyone buying them, would have to factor in not only do you have to build towers but you'll have to build twice as many for the same coverage. You'll get more bandwidth though but at twice the cost, and can you really sell bandwidth to the non tech consumer? I doubt it? Not when the big two have already framed the issue as about coverage with commercials showing dueling coverage maps and tag lines like "can you hear me now?" Consumers may just balk saying, "What's the point of bandwidth if i can't get a signal?" Regardless the cost of transferring to LTE would be a consideration for anyone buying sprint.

Verizon could buy sprint in order to force the FCC to approve a sprint/verizon deal along with an at&t/tmobile deal or approve neither. But again. The cost of building out Clearwire's LTE spectrum may mean it's cheaper for Verizon to just keep building it's own, again, it's on a different bandwith then clearwire's. But honestly i think it's pretty stupid for Verizon to buy Sprint now cause it's overly expensive. it's like Sprint buying Nextel. Verizon will be fine doing nothing.

The other Elephant is the room is that most popular smartphone on the planet is the iphone. When it eventually goes 4G it's on two LTE networks and large parts of the rest of the world will go LTE. The iphone is not going anywhere. And they don't have contract for it. And Android doesn't bring the same amount of customers that AT&T does. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't bring the subscriber growth. So you'd be buying a network that's expensive to build out with 4G, already wasted a lot on a problematic wimax, has debt, And less subscribers and lacks the biggest current draw for new subscriber growth right now the iphone.

I highly doubt either apple or google, tech hardware and cloud software will ever think it's smart to buy a wireless telecom company with the ridiculous cost of maintaining it. Its not their business. No more then Harley Davidson would be looking to buy a freeway construction company.

If you're looking for possible purchasers i have to think if it will happen it could be from someone outside of the United States and even then i just don't know if the numbers will make sense.
    Called it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Dual Band GSM / CDMA. with Wimax and LTE on the way. Make lot of sense for either company ( Google / Apple )
    If Apple were to buy Sprint, would they then only offer their products on Sprint? Cutting out hundreds of millions of other users or would they transition to only on Sprint over a period of years so their loyal followers could change as their contracts ran out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    If Apple were to buy Sprint, would they then only offer their products on Sprint? Cutting out hundreds of millions of other users or would they transition to only on Sprint over a period of years so their loyal followers could change as their contracts ran out?
    Yeah, I doesn't make any sense to me. No reason they'd take on the cost of fixing a telecom company.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Sprint won't get bought out, especially by a non-telecom. They just need to get over Wimax and jump ship already. Once they commit and make the switch to LTE, they'll just need to work out some roaming agreements with everyone else.

Sprint is going to pickup quite a few T-Mobile customers during this merger if the DOJ approves it. I know quite a few T-Mo customers who's loyalty lies only with the cheapest plans.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I know quite a few T-Mo customers who's loyalty lies only with the cheapest plans.
    my loyalty did. i'm only on sprint because it is cheap. Well i came for the pre but if it was on a more expensive carrier i wouldn't have got a pre i'd have gotten an iphone. I think for a ton of people, price is important. Everyone just can't afford the expensive data plans and monthly voice plans of other carriers. I can tell you i didn't leave tmobile because i didn't like tmobile. i just didn't like their phones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12