Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Sprint teams up with Google Voice - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

If this is not evidence of Sprint's preference for Android OS to underpin their strategy, I dunno what would be.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Sprint teams up with Google Voice - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

If this is not evidence of Sprint's preference for Android OS to underpin their strategy, I dunno what would be.
    I disagree... only because it will be available for all smartphones on Sprint. I've used Google voice for my voicemail on Sprint (nice getting transcript texts and emails) since I've owned my Pre and am pretty excited about this! It is a great tool for any smartphone... not just for android phones!
    this is sprint cutting costs by letting someone else provide voicemail. Sprint also partnered with youmail.

if HP, MS, and Apple had voicemail services, they'd support them, too.
    This is one of the more compelling parts of the Nexus S 4G announcement. Unfortunate that webOS is still lacking an official GV app. Voogle is a good stopgap, but without notifications it's not ideal yet.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    I can see Sprint making a WebOS google voice app for the Pre 3 and incorporating all the awesome features. However, just like Skype for the Pre 2, you won't be able to get it on all WebOS phones. As of now I have google voice with my Sprint number and every time I get a voicemail I make google send a message to my youmail inbox which will then notify me of voicemails on the youmail app. At the same time I make google send me a text message to my phone, which shows me a transcript of my voicemail. It works really great because I can open YouView a listen to all my voicemails.

I'm not really missing much. I think I'm pretty much all set on my Pre.
    I don't think this deal is so much of a new indication that it loves Android but more a natural consequence of the love that is already there.

As a regional Sprint rep told me, Android phones (especially the Evo which, even if that is not what people wound up buying, is what got people into the stores) saved Sprints rear-end this past year.

That Sprint is comfortable turning vm over to google might be the result of the success they have had with their android phones but more telling, to me, is all of the recent android phone releases and announcements, to wit:

-Echo
    -Evo Shift
    -Evo 3D
    -The "S" phone
    -Evo Tablet
    -Sprint branded Xoom

Sprint has gone "all-in" on android and the GV thing is in many ways a natural result of that. Even if the GV is available on Sprint's (dwindling) non-android smartphones, I will be willing to guess that there will be apps and integrations and such that will make it even a better experience on the Android phones.
    Last edited by midmofan; 03/21/2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Heres the official News Release from Sprint:

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint and Google to Launch Integrated Google Voice Experience on All Sprint Phones, Including Upcoming Nexus S 4G

EDIT:
    Just tried to set mine up and got this prompt, it must not be free just yet..

Congratulations.Your mobile number can be ported.
    Things to understand before porting your number to Google Voice:
    The cost of porting is $20.00 (payable through Google Checkout).

Customers can sign up to be notified when the integrated Google Voice experience for Sprint phones is available at www.google.com/voice/sprint.
    Last edited by Freshyz; 03/21/2011 at 12:41 PM.
    very very interesting. i dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Heres the official News Release from Sprint:

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint and Google to Launch Integrated Google Voice Experience on All Sprint Phones, Including Upcoming Nexus S 4G

EDIT:
    Just tried to set mine up and got this prompt, it must not be free just yet..

Congratulations.Your mobile number can be ported.
    Things to understand before porting your number to Google Voice:
    The cost of porting is $20.00 (payable through Google Checkout).

Customers can sign up to be notified when the integrated Google Voice experience for Sprint phones is available at www.google.com/voice/sprint.

This is number porting (which has a $20 fee, as well as ETF if your contract is not up) and is different from the announcement they made today. With today's announcement you'll be able to have all the features of google voice & keep your number on the Sprint network.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoD_trentonj View Post
    I disagree... only because it will be available for all smartphones on Sprint. I've used Google voice for my voicemail on Sprint (nice getting transcript texts and emails) since I've owned my Pre and am pretty excited about this! It is a great tool for any smartphone... not just for android phones!
    Actually, it will be available to ALL phones on Sprint, dumb phones included!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I've never used Google Voice, so a question: I'm currently using YouMail and YouView. They are very buggy, but I do like having my voicemails downloaded to my phone. It doesn't look like Googlevoice/Sprint will do this--is that right?

On the other hand, I've always wanted to be able to read transcriptions of voicemails.

Therefore, anybody hip to the pros and cons of YouMail/YouView vs. Googlevoice/Sprint?

Thanks!
    I use Voggle and it works well for me.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this is sprint cutting costs by letting someone else provide voicemail. Sprint also partnered with youmail.

if HP, MS, and Apple had voicemail services, they'd support them, too.
    When did they partner with youmail???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    When did they partner with youmail???
    If by "partner" they meant "hate" and "screw with" then it's been this month

Sent from my Evo - so there!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Anyone with any good estimate when this will be available. All they say at googlevoice.com/sprint is "soon."
    i wonder how it will support mms. GV doesnt support it currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    i wonder how it will support mms. GV doesnt support it currently.
    I was thinking this myself.When I signed up for google voice I sent them an email asking if they will have mms? They said they will look into it.I think if they had mms it would be much better.Because ppl who don't know its not your actual phone number always wonder why can't you receive mms's lol. This is def needed
    Just got an email that the early release is available now:

Hello,

You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed a link to a form where you can send feedback and/or questions.

There are two ways to enable the integrated service:

1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.

How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.

2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).

How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.

In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.

Important Notes:

The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
    For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
    If you need support, or have feedback, please fill out this form
    If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.

Thanks,

Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    This is one of the more compelling parts of the Nexus S 4G announcement. Unfortunate that webOS is still lacking an official GV app. Voogle is a good stopgap, but without notifications it's not ideal yet.
    I use my email.

Seems to notify pretty well for me.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast