Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    OK I get it now. That is a pretty great setup. The whole problem with the "system" is that big business is always trying to lock us into stuff. In my perfect world I could buy any phone I wanted and use it with any carrier I chose. I dont think that its to radical of an idea or anything. Rant over. Back to the point, I agree with you about voogle if it was a little more polished it would be a perfect solution for many people that need multiple numbers to manage. Also I get a feeling that this whole thing that sprint a google are doing is in some way locking you into something, I just havent figured it out yet. Im wondering If you cancelled your sprint plan what would it do to your number? If you wanted to take it to another carrier would google charge you to port it? It just seems like things are not very well explained just yet,
    That's the million dollar question. I don't know of anyone that has ported a Google Voice number to a cell company, or if that's even possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    That's the million dollar question. I don't know of anyone that has ported a Google Voice number to a cell company, or if that's even possible.

The option to port a number to Google Voice has been available for a couple months now. I don't know of anyone personally that has done it, but I came across this post yesterday on lifehacker. The author talks about his experience porting his Verizon # to Google Voice.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
    Google Voice charges you $10 to change your number and $20 to port a number in, however, they're not charging those prices for this. If you choose the option to use Google Voice as your Sprint number (basically, it shows your GV number when you dial out), you can revert to just it showing your Sprint number. If you replace your number with Sprint, after 90 days you lose your original Google Voice number.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Google Voice charges you $10 to change your number and $20 to port a number in, however, they're not charging those prices for this. If you choose the option to use Google Voice as your Sprint number (basically, it shows your GV number when you dial out), you can revert to just it showing your Sprint number. If you replace your number with Sprint, after 90 days you lose your original Google Voice number.
    So does this mean if you choose option 2 and then revert back that my sprint number will still use google voice for voicemail? or does it just go back to the way it was before?
    I am testing it out right now to see if it will do what I hope it does. It says "Unable to update your account. Your last change needs to be fully implemented before we can make additional changes to your account. Please try again in 15 minutes."
    So I switched back, it goes back to the original sprint voice mail but you have to re-set it up. Kind of a pain but not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    The option to port a number to Google Voice has been available for a couple months now. I don't know of anyone personally that has done it, but I came across this post yesterday on lifehacker. The author talks about his experience porting his Verizon # to Google Voice.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
    The question I have is the opposite. Can you port your GV number to a cell. For example: I use my GV # and then decide I no longer want GV. Can I set up service on any cell provider and port my GV # as if it were a cell#?
    I think it's kind of cool that this is being integrated into Sprint, but I don't really see much use for it unless there is a dedicated app for it. It sucks having to pullup a website on my phone to use google voice instead of just opening an app. I hope someone develops a really good app for the Pre now because the previous apps dont work very well from what I understand. I used to use GdialPro, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
    For me it's useful because I just never used my GV number. I only signed up with GV for the novelty, but it's been just sitting there gathering dust until now. Not really worried about what happens if I switch carriers. I already feel like I would rather just eliminate the whole "phone" thing...but only don't because apparently people still want to talk to me occasionally.

I hate talking on the phone.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    I think it's kind of cool that this is being integrated into Sprint, but I don't really see much use for it unless there is a dedicated app for it. It sucks having to pullup a website on my phone to use google voice instead of just opening an app. I hope someone develops a really good app for the Pre now because the previous apps dont work very well from what I understand. I used to use GdialPro, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
    Give Voogle a shot, works well for me.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I have a question regarding SMS text messages. If my Sprint number also becomes my GV number, where will text messages get delivered? Directly to my phone as they do now or will they get sent to GV?
    Quote Originally Posted by wamiller View Post
    I have a question regarding SMS text messages. If my Sprint number also becomes my GV number, where will text messages get delivered? Directly to my phone as they do now or will they get sent to GV?
    Phone. You can change the setting in GV to also show up on your GV page.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    What I have read says clearly that if I change my Sprint number to my GV number, my GV number will remain active for 90 days. What if I go the other way and dump my Sprint number for my GV number? What happens to people that call my now gone Sprint number?
    This is supposed to work for everyone today correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    This is supposed to work for everyone today correct?
    Its supposed to, but I dont see it on my account yet. :|
    New option! Check eligibility for Sprint integration --------->

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

WUT?
    3:43:24 PM EDT : Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Jared L..

3:43:40 PM EDT : Jared L.: I am happy to help you. Please hold a moment while I access your account.

3:45:09 PM EDT : Jared L.: Please allow me a few moment to provide you the information.

3:45:57 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

3:47:08 PM EDT : Jared L.: Thank you for the information, please allow me a few moment to check this for you.

3:49:23 PM EDT : Jared L.: Thank you for your patience, I will have that information shortly.

3:51:14 PM EDT : Jared L.: Thank you for waiting.

3:51:45 PM EDT : Jared L.: As I have checked your account , your line #6790 has Palm phone activated.

3:52:55 PM EDT : Jared L.: Unfortunately , this phone is not capable for Google voice service.
    3:53:24 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: The information on the press release says that all phones are supported

3:53:28 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: I can show you

3:53:55 PM EDT : Jared L.: That's the reason it is showing this message.

3:55:39 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: So is it only for android phones?

3:56:45 PM EDT : Jared L.: As I have checked the press release, in that also it is written that only the phones having the capability of Google voice will be able to use this service.

3:56:54 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: I have friends who have gotten it to work on a palm pre

3:57:46 PM EDT : Jared L.: Ok.

3:58:33 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: News Releases

21 March 2011
    Sprint and Google to Launch Integrated Google Voice Experience on All Sprint Phones, Including Upcoming Nexus S 4G

3:58:40 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: from sprint.com

3:58:43 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: ALL PHONES

3:58:55 PM EDT : MCCARTHY: Sprint Newsroom | Sprint and Google to Launch Integrated Google Voice Experience on All Sprint Phones, Including Upcoming Nexus S 4G
    After activating my Sprint # as my GV # I recieved voice to text messages, which are way cool, but now I get a reply "Error 2135 you are unable to send SMS messages to an email address" which I've been doing for the last 2 yrs. Anyone have insight on how to fix this? What's going on here? I don't se any options to change this on any settings menus...
    huh? Use the email app? perhaps google voice doesn't support sms to email and sprint did.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast