Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Just got an email that the early release is available now:
    Woh! Woh! That sucks doesn't looks like I have access to it. I do see that it put a sprint logo next to my phone. Why didn;t I get the email?! grr
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Just got an email that the early release is available now:
    Got the same email at 5:28 this evening.

Who is taking advantage of this, and which way will you go, option 1 or 2?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Got the same email at 5:28 this evening.

Who is taking advantage of this, and which way will you go, option 1 or 2?
    I'm not completely sure if I'll go ahead right now, being that it's not really fully supported.
    Guess I don't get that many calls, though...so maybe I will.

I'll probably go option 1, using my Sprint phone number. Too many people have that one...and I'm too lazy to go to the trouble of telling everyone the GV number, which is not even a local number.
    I'm the opposite. I adopted google voice ages ago and have been handing out that number since. I'll be switching over to it. Also the last 4 digits are pi.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    will google number and sprint number work on phone?
    I still am having trouble understanding why you would want to do this. I like having the two numbers. Does it still let you pass out 2 separate numbers if I use this new system to combine them?
    One advantage is now you can set it up so one number will ring multiple phones...cell and office, cell and home, work cell and personal cell, etc.
    I thought you could set it up that way without combining the number? I guess I need to research some more before I jump into just 1 number instead of 2.
    same questions here.

I set up GV number and use it for my main number ringing to my Sprint and office land line. how will this be different? will it eliminate Sprint VM so I only have Google VM to check?
    I see pandas.
    Yeah, I am starting to get the feeling that they are trying to push something that is lesser than what is already offered. Maybe Sprint is trying to pull a fast one on us.
    yeah, I know, sprint and google should not be doing this cause I don't understand and thus they should not be doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    yeah, I know, sprint and google should not be doing this cause I don't understand and thus they should not be doing this.
    hahaha i know right!
    seriously though, I wish someone would explain why this is better than having a number with sprint and a number through google? I have read all the literature and i just dont see it.
    International calls from your Sprint handset will be placed through Google Voice. This is the only plus I see. So if you call internationally it would be a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    seriously though, I wish someone would explain why this is better than having a number with sprint and a number through google? I have read all the literature and i just dont see it.
    I too am wondering about this. Here is my experience with Google Voice and how I'm using it:

I have a dying Sprint Pre that has my phone number for the last 10 years (516 NY area code). I moved to San Francisco and have a Pre 2 on T-Mobile. I have my 516 calls and text forwarded to my 415 Google Voice, which is then sent to my Pre 2.

Moving the 516 to Google Voice would allow me to keep my number that I've had for a long time, AND allow me to take advantage of Google Voice's online text, voicemail/text to email options, and 'ring anywhere/nowhere' options. It also allows you to use your Sprint handset to make cheap international calls.

It almost allows Sprint to be more like a GSM carrier in the sense that I can buy a Veer on AT&T, and still use my Sprint phone number on it.
    So is the situation that you are talking about pavvento is that you have to keep your sprint service to keep the phone activated right? So are you paying for sprint and T-mobile? I think im dense b/c im having trouble following what exactly your doing and how you can get a veer on ATT and use the sprint number on it? Why is this confusing me so much?
    I don't see it myself,I been using it and don't see the need to port my numbers or combine them.It would be good if I could use sprint to send mms through my google voice number/sms.Other then that I don't care to much for it.I wish someone would list the benefits of doing this over not doing it.
    Thank you prethadd81, I was going crazy trying to find out what the hype is all about and thinking I was missing something.
    So is the situation that you are talking about pavvento is that you have to keep your sprint service to keep the phone activated right? So are you paying for sprint and T-mobile? I think im dense b/c im having trouble following what exactly your doing and how you can get a veer on ATT and use the sprint number on it? Why is this confusing me so much?
    You're correct. Fortunately Sprint is paid through work and I am on month to month (no contract) with T-Mobile for $55 (unlimited data and 400 minutes or so).

When the Veer comes out on AT&T I can purchase it unlocked (presuming HP releases one unlocked) and either pop in my T-Mobile Sim, or switch to AT&T (to get 3G speeds). I then use Google Voice (either website or Voogle) on the Veer so everything that comes from it appears as either my Google Voice number (which can be my Sprint number soon).

Since the Veer will be registered with Google Voice anyone that calls or texts my GV number will be sent directly to the Veer.

I know it sounds a little backwards and it doesn't work as flawlessly as I'd like. If Voogle worked a little better than it does it would be an almost perfect situation.
    OK I get it now. That is a pretty great setup. The whole problem with the "system" is that big business is always trying to lock us into stuff. In my perfect world I could buy any phone I wanted and use it with any carrier I chose. I dont think that its to radical of an idea or anything. Rant over. Back to the point, I agree with you about voogle if it was a little more polished it would be a perfect solution for many people that need multiple numbers to manage. Also I get a feeling that this whole thing that sprint a google are doing is in some way locking you into something, I just havent figured it out yet. Im wondering If you cancelled your sprint plan what would it do to your number? If you wanted to take it to another carrier would google charge you to port it? It just seems like things are not very well explained just yet,
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast