1.    #1  
    Hi, I have heard a lot of different things about Sprint, and I wanted to know for sure. Is Sprint getting more HP devices!? Is it confirmed one way or the other? Sorry, I just cant find a straight forward answer.
    That's because there is no straight forward answer. We can neither confirm nor deny the Pre 3 is coming to Sprint, all we can do is wait for an announcement from either Sprint or HP. Until then enjoy the rumors that go around everyday.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubasa92 View Post
    Hi, I have heard a lot of different things about Sprint, and I wanted to know for sure. Is Sprint getting more HP devices!? Is it confirmed one way or the other? Sorry, I just cant find a straight forward answer.
    I know, it is pretty bad, isn't it?! New devices are getting launched all the time and no word yet on the Pre 3 and whether or not it will go to Sprint.... I'm thinking of jumping to the Nexus S on Sprint now!
    So far, HP has not announced carriers for any product. When the Pre came out, Sprint was announced as the carrier 5 months before the Pre was released but often carriers are only announced two to three months before a new phone is shipped.

The strange part is that the carrier is usually annoucned along with the phone. If it is not in the press release, it will be said quietly to reporters.

The reason manufacturers announce carriers right away is that it will encourage customers with those carriers to hold off until the new product is out.

Can anyone think of a benefit in NOT announcing the carrier?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/21/2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    So far, HP has not announced carries for any product. When the Pre came out, Sprint was announced as the carrier 5 months before the Pre was released but often carriers are only announced two to three months before a new phone is shipped.

The strange part is that the carrier is usually annoucned along with the phone. If it is not in the press release, it will be said quietly to reporters.

The reason manufacturers announce carriers right away is that it will encourage customers with those carriers to hold off until the new product is out.

Can anyone think of a benefit in NOT announcing the carrier?
    Yes if the "summer" carrier for the Pre3 is Verizon, then VZW might want to hold off a few months in order to provide spacing after Pre2 (which seems like they delayed from Nov to Feb release, ala Jon R's comment that Palm missed a product cycle).

I'm lending this rumor credence for 3 reasons:
    1) Plenty of enterprise customers like VZW so in HP's interest to debut with VZW so they can get a good launch with their enterprise base. (At the very least they need the CTO's of co's to test out the devices this summer/fall so they can write the order into their 2012 tech spend budgets.)
    2) Verizon CTO comments suggest he is favorable to give HP a try--although this says nothing about timing and I originally assumed it meant a Nov '11 or early spring '12 debut of a 4G phone.
    3) Someone in the forums said she "heard this" from her Verizon rep. Giving this less credence than the other 2 points but it is just odd enough to believe as usually we have been hearing these rumors from Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkev View Post
    This almost makes sense until you realize that the Pre 3 is also available as a GSM device, and if it was ready, HP would have it available and unlocked on their site just like they did the Pre 2 long before Verizon ever started selling it.

I don't think it's finished enough for any carrier to say they will offer it at a certain time. It may not even be finished enough for carriers to decide they want to carry it at all.
    Yes, hard to say what state it is in. We'll have to see what Jon R says on Fri on Engadget, if anything, and what devs say when they test the devices at the HP stations supposedly being readied for them to test the devices starting in April. Also I think precentral front page said that HP internal employees were also soon or currently being given the devices for short term testing.

Regarding not offering the Pre3 unlocked on their site-- I don't think that is definitive either way as may be reasons why a carrier launch is key, vs offering it on the site. Regardless, I would be very surprised if the Pre3 will be out before the Touchpad, I see them as being stronger being co-marketed as a package.
    If the simplest solution is the most likely correct one, they have not announced carriers that have signed up because, as of this point, no carriers have signed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    If the simplest solution is the most likely correct one, they have not announced carriers that have signed up because, as of this point, no carriers have signed up.
    Yes, Occam's Razor, "The simplest answer is often correct."

If HP could get carriers to partner up, they have nothing to gain by not stating who they are?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Yes, Occam's Razor, "The simplest answer is often correct."

If HP could get carriers to partner up, they have nothing to gain by not stating who they are?
    The reason I don't buy this is:
    a) Too soon to assume can't get any carriers as launch date is not until June (end of June? beginning of June?). If we reach the end of May and still no carriers announced, I would give this more credence.
    Just because there is no public announcement, we don't know what is being said behind closed doors to the big corporates. For e.g., Precentral front page ran a story awhile back that corporates on both sides of the coast were tipping off precentral that Sprint was saying it would have HP devices.

b) HP, with its size, has a huge enterprise base of customers and some of them are bound to order some of these devices. The customer is king. If they tell the carriers they want the devices, the carriers will listen.

c) HP also supplies infrastructure to most of the top carriers and they enjoy good relations.

To my mind, there is nothing to do here but wait a few more weeks.