Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    People can speculate on if the Veer is GMS only and is set in stone and that the Pre 3 may be coming or not coming to Sprint but one thing you can bet on, Sprint is well aware that a large significant number of Pre loyalists contracts are ending starting this June.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    she wasn't reading an email she was reading from precentral.lol
    Good rumors are better than no rumors. At least makes us feel better while we wait
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    There's not been any hints whatsoever of a GSM Veer. I find it very doubtful that it will come to Sprint.
    The small size of the Veer may be the very problem, as CDMA radios tend to be a little larger than their GSM counterparts. Not saying it's impossible, just saying that available space inside the Veer could very well be an issue, thus no talk of a CDMA version.
    Maybe hp added a special adapter for an antenna
    At any rate, I wish they would just release something already! Give us something...so I know where I stand. Cause i'm trying real hard Ringo...not to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    The original poster's story about a June Pre 3 launch lines up with the newly released details of a June Touchpad launch.

I could definitely see a CDMA Veer to replacing the aged Pixi. We've seen in the past how easy radios can be switched on these products.

I'm thinking/hoping there's some validity to these claims.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Just came back from Sprint store.... Get exactly the same info from sprint tech. Hm... interesting!
    Guess we'll see what Sprint has to say on Tuesday? New 'ecosystem'? :P
    this would be interesting. I've been looking forward to a bigger screen pre since June '09, but if I've got the tablet the smaller screen could be attractive. I have a sneaking suspicion though that the veer and pre 2 will always be the ed headed step children of the pre 3.
    She may be a gizmo geek and didn't know all the details
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Has anyone talking to these Sprint store reps ask if they know anything about a special deal for Pre minus owners? What about rumored pricing for the Pre3 or TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    once I saw that the OP said they'd be getting the veer, I stopped reading. It's a GSM device... Sprint is CDMA... Unless they already went ahead and merged with T-Mobile, there is no way this can be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    um producing a cdma phone is no problem. Those were test versions not final hardware release.
    No, they are the final hardware release. The devices submitted to the FCC for testing must match the final product, or there wouldn't be any point in testing them. Right now the only devices Palm has submitted to the FCC are two versions of the Veer. Both are GSM. Palm is not cranking out CDMA versions without first getting approval from the FCC.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No, they are the final hardware release. The devices submitted to the FCC for testing must match the final product, or there wouldn't be any point in testing them. Right now the only devices Palm has submitted to the FCC are two versions of the Veer. Both are GSM. Palm is not cranking out CDMA versions without first getting approval from the FCC.
    Sorry to intrude but how do you know what they submitted to the FCC? I read back around Feb that the FCC is being more respectful and not leaking data before manufacturers and vendors announce products - so something can be vetted and approved before the announcement and then suddenly show up without the long lead time of leakage that happened in prior years.

To be completely honest I doubt the veer has a CDMA version also but I can't rule it out. The battery is what makes me lean that way - CDMA is a bit more power hungry and I just don't see that device as being practical in CDMA.
    The FCC is a government agency that must comply with the FOIA. Therefore it is not permitted to be 100% confidential about anything. If a manufacturer submits a device that they don't want made public yet, you will at least be able to find the letter from the manufacturer requesting confidentiality for certain aspects of said device, along with the FCC ID assigned to the device and the frequencies it will use.

FCC Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Home Page

So even if we are unable to determine specifics about a submitted device--like whether it's a phone, a computer, a modem, what it looks like, etc.--we can still see that something has been submitted from a manufacturer.

And if you do an FCC search for devices submitted from manufacturer O8F (Palm's FCC manufacturer code) since 01/01/2011, you will find a total of only two FCC IDs: O8F-BROU and O8F-BROY, which are the two GSM Veers.

Whatever other products Palm may be working on are not ready for mass production yet. A company will not mass produce a device without getting FCC approval first, because if it is not granted approval, they will have a stockpile of devices they are not legally permitted to sell.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    prolly be an hp patent though, personaly I think palm will be desolved into hp by the end of the year, maybe next.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Just filling out a Freedom of Information Act request does not guarantee you will be given the info you are requesting. If a company proves that the release of certain information would cause them harm and/or lose a competitive advantage, they can file to have the request denied.
    Has nothing to do with filing a FOIA request.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    So even if we are unable to determine specifics about a submitted device--like whether it's a phone, a computer, a modem, what it looks like, etc.--we can still see that something has been submitted from a manufacturer.
    In short, companies can make the device they are submitting confidential, but they cannot make the submission itself confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    prolly be an hp patent though, personaly I think palm will be desolved into hp by the end of the year, maybe next.
    The Veers were submitted using Palm's FCC ID. HP hasn't submitted a phone under their own FCC ID since September of '09, with the iPaq Glisten.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    BUT WHY would this be in an e-mail to a Sprint store manager if they werent going to get the darn things!
    And what makes you think that the manager was reading from an actual email and not consulting PreCentral trying to find out what the latest rumors are?

Did you ask to have the email printed out for you? Did you ask to take a picture of the screen? Did the manager let you read the email that he/she was reading?

Now, I don't know the reason why the manager would lie to you either, but just because they said they were reading from an email leaves it in rumor status. Also, if this manager is going to glibly hand out this type of info to any Joe off the street, I am sure that we would have more confirmation that this by now. It is these types of actions by managers that are the reason that they do not know until the last minute what devices are coming.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'm not sure about any specific dates or even devices but I did just finish talking with two SAR's (basically-Sprint indirect Service & Repair Area Directors) that where making their visit to my location. They said that the had been told that Sprint will be getting a total of FOUR HP devices within the next year. Now they were not told what devices or if it was the 2011 year or just in a years time. I have had a long relationship with these guys and they keep their ear's to the ground for me because they know I am going to ask about Webos phones.

They stated that during the Sprint all-hands employee event the speaker said that Sprint was launching 33 total devices within the next year. Of that 33, HP was going to have four of them. I mentioned that I was beggining to believe Sprint wasn't going to get any phones and they did say until HP bought out Palm Sprint had sworn off WebOs. Now they are working on building a relationship with HP.

If I had to take a guess (and this is pure speculation) I would say it would be the Pre 3 (which is already dual band), The Touchpad, a CDMA Veer, and the new unanoinced slate phone. Of course who knows how many devices HP has in the works. They could be four devices we have never heard of or a mix of old and new. Sprint has also been big into being the first to market here lately and the first WebOs Slate device may be right up their ally.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12