Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over the weekend I had to contact Sprint Airave Tech Support. After finishing with the Airave, the Tech asked if I had any other questions.

So I took a shot and asked about any new WebOS Devices coming to Sprint. He said he had not heard of anything, but if I was willing to hold awhile he would go check in the Lab and see what they are testing. I assured him I would hold for that information. When he came back on the line he reported there were NO WebOS devices being tested in the Lab and the Lab Testers knew nothing of any new devices.

Of course that doesn't mean Sprint will never get another WebOS device. But I would say that all hopes for a new WebOS device (Pre3 and/or TouchPad) before very late summer have been effectively crushed.

FormerTXer
    Palm Personal, Palm Pro, Palm V, Palm Tungsten T, Palm LifeDrive, Palm TX, Palm Pre
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/22/2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: updated title
    Yet another.. Heard from a sprint rep thread

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    the person least likely to know or discuss future plans are the people that work in call centers like that.

nothing to see here.
    So, they put the call center room across the hall from the top secret new and upcoming device test lab. Thats poor building design from a PRPRPR $perspective$.

Moreover, it took you almost two years to get 10 posts?

I jest.
    Please see my post about the only truthful thing a sprint rep has said.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Thought you all might want to know. Talked to an ex high level Palm/HP employee. Got the word that there is no relationship between HP and Sprint. No products will be on the Sprint network. Also no phone with landscape slide, reason so you can type with one hand. Bleh!!

This Sucks because I have a great discount/deal with Sprint. and my contract is up.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/16/2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: title updated and clarified
    LOL... your ex 'high level' person's information isn't anything I'd place any bets on. There will be hardware on Sprint. I was at the Think Beyond event in San Francisco last month and was told by a very high HP person that Palm's relationship with Sprint is actually the "best of all carriers" and not to worry.

I wouldn't put any stock in your friend's info.
    Oh well 2 bad for HP i ain't changing phone companies.....
    I trust my source a whole lot more than sprint reps. I don't remember anything from the Think Beyond event saying there will be devices for sprint. I trust my source who knows a lot more about the devices than just a high level HP person blowing smoke.

Either way just trying to soften the blow.

With my heafty discount I can't afford to pay double to go to another carrier. So most likely I"ll end up with an android phone. Still debating HP Pad or Ipad 2
    It's up in the air anyway since HP won't be releasing anything until June. They didn't even mention carriers at the event from what I remember, but a GSM version of the TouchPad was seen(had a SIM card). Obviously that's not Sprint, but we truly don't know much of anything about carriers right now. This isn't really the best way to sell you product, keeping people guessing which carriers for this long.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    While HP is sitting silent people are going out and getting the iPad2 and by the time HP speaks up iPhone5 will be out and more people will jump on those. Basically HP is shooting themselves in the foot.
    It's a big market and will be growing for some time.
    It's clear that the Pre 3 will have one CDMA carrier, and the Pre 2 is now on Verizon. Does it make a whole lot of sense to release an updated version 5 months later on the same network? I think not.
    It amazes me that people still post with "I talked to a carrier/manufacturer employee" stories.

No offense to you, OP. I'm sure you trust your source very much. I'm not suggesting he or she is lying. It's just been borne out time and time again that most company employees are the last to know about release dates and release plans. At most they're criminally misinformed.

Thanks for the info, but I hope no one takes this as gospel. Anyone who's spent a few months on a mobile-oriented message board should know this info is about as substantial as a JooJoo.
    Maybe he does not work there for the reason of telling people that they wont be putting phones on sprint when actually they will be ?? ever think of that ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    He has 2 posts, joined 3/11, and his source doesn't work for Sprint. I believe him!!!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Even if it were true, a lot of us, including myself have contracts with sprint that are up in june. I'll switch to verizon if the Pre3 ends up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Even if it were true, a lot of us, including myself have contracts with sprint that are up in june. I'll switch to verizon if the Pre3 ends up there.
    You are willing to pay $20 more per month for V?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightNV View Post
    Thought you all might want to know. Talked to an ex high level Palm/HP employee. Got the word that there is no relationship between HP and Sprint. No products will be on the Sprint network. Also no phone with landscape slide, reason so you can type with one hand. Bleh!!
    The fact that your source isn't an employee anymore with HP means they have old information which is certainly subject to change, if it was ever true to begin with.

If little Ol' Palm could have a carrier relationships with Sprint and all the other US carriers, a behemoth like HP wouldn't have a hard time achieving this either. That being said they have to start off as a new company with all the carriers and negotiate the terms of the relationship which I'm sure is taking up some of the time.

I would bet money that eventually HP will have all the US carriers on board soon enough. Two things to remember is that the new HP units weren't close to being final units at the Think Beyond event back in Feb. And when Palm introduced the Pre for the first time, they already had carrier relationships prior to the Pre (with the Treo line). I can't think of any company in the smartphone biz that hasn't had carrier relationships for a while now. This is unique to HP, rest assured they will work it out eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    It's clear that the Pre 3 will have one CDMA carrier, and the Pre 2 is now on Verizon. Does it make a whole lot of sense to release an updated version 5 months later on the same network? I think not.
    so the next CDMA iphone is coming to sprint is what you're saying? pretty much the same scenario
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast