Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Engadget just reported. Too bad no webOS device.

"The media -- yours truly included -- has been trying to figure out why Sprint has booked an insane two-and-a-half hour slot at CTIA later this month. That's not the kind of event you throw together just to rehash the devices you've introduced over the last half year -- something's up, and if our source is correct, they're up to something big.

First, we're hearing that the carrier will launch the Nexus S 4G from Samsung, and judging from the name, the phone should be something akin to a Nexus S with WiMAX. It seems this one could be either the SPH-D600 or SPH-D720, both of which have recently received certification from the Wi-Fi Alliance, though the SPH-D720 is more likely; the D600 shows WPS support, which is available in TouchWiz-skinned devices but not in stock Gingerbread. You might recall that Sprint came very, very close to launching its own version of the Nexus One before dropping it in favor of the EVO 4G last year, so maybe they're ready to do the deed this time.

Next, a couple that we don't have much detail on: the EVO 3D, which is... well, a 3D-capable EVO of some sort. 2011 is certainly shaping up to be the year of 3D phones and tablets, so that wouldn't be much of a surprise. The other unit in the mix is the EVO View, a tablet that we're guessing will shape up to be something of a CDMA-powered Flyer. If this all pans out, it's looking like Sprint could own this show. CES was a bit of a dud for them, you might recall -- the EVO Shift 4G was the only handset announcement there -- so they're overdue.
    "

Sprint announcing Nexus S 4G, EVO 3D, and EVO View tablet at CTIA? -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    if pre3 don't come to sprint evo 3d it will be. can't leave sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by drexaljim View Post
    if pre3 don't come to sprint evo 3d it will be. can't leave sprint
    i 2nd this, tho i think i may have a bit of a problem choosing between evo 3d and pre3 pre3 sounds so ehhh... but 3d sounds like... ... but... that could just be me + i think the evo looks better

EDIT: I kinda hope hp has some other phone for later this year, the pre3 by itself.. not really all that.. sure the hardware is great but I'm tired of the form factor .. since the pre was my 1st touchscreen phone im not locked into any form factor and I'd like to try a slab see what that feels like, hp is tryin this pre form factor as a "one size fits all" type of thing.. their main selling point to me seems like is their serious of interconected devices which is nice...but only thing I really care about is "The Smartphone" part of it at the moment
    Last edited by mindonmillions08; 03/06/2011 at 05:23 PM.
    really ??!! 3D phones ?! ridiculousness it sounds like to me !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If it's a stock Nexus S I am sooo in! If not hmm ... evo 3d or ill just stick with the cheaper rate optimus s I have.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    what is with all the 3d junk. Now 3d phones. Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I'm ****ed! I wanted the Nexus S... UHG!!!

* Nevermind if I am reading correct it will have touchwiz... eww!
    You're reading it wrong.

First, we're hearing that the carrier will launch the Nexus S 4G from Samsung, and judging from the name, the phone should be something akin to a Nexus S with WiMAX. It seems this one could be either the SPH-D600 or SPH-D720, both of which have recently received certification from the Wi-Fi Alliance, though the SPH-D720 is more likely; the D600 shows WPS support, which is available in TouchWiz-skinned devices but not in stock Gingerbread.
    The stock one is the more likely, say Engadget.
    The handsets are good, much-needed catches for Sprint. Another 7-inch Android tablet running Froyo or Gingerbread is a loser on arrival, EVO-branding or not. This leaves a lane WIDE OPEN for HP to launch a 9.7-inch TouchPad at a good price on Sprint to own the tablet roost on at least one carrier.
    Its gonna be tough for Pre3....

All carriers are going to have flagship phones and HP is still lagging on the "coming months" and "available sometime this summer"

ATT still has iPhone and Atrix and some other highend Androids
    VZW has iPhone, Thunderbolt, Bionic 2, DroidX2 etc
    TMobile has G2, myTouch 4g, and Galaxy S
    Sprint is going to have Nexus S, Evo 3D and WP7

All this PLUS

ATT is getting HTC Flyer and iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1
    VZW got the Xoom and Ipad 2
    Sprint is getting the Playbook and HTC Evo View

*** HP???? If I dont own a Pre3, the whole thing about getting texts and sms on my tablet is a mute point. If Pre3 doesnt come to sprint soon, then there is a good chance I will be getting another tablet. I already plan on getting an iPad 2 and using it until touchpad comes out
  10.    #10  
    3D at the end of it all is not that big of a sale. I don't see why 3D is important nor how it will work. Carry damn glasses with you wherever you go? Fail.

Pre3 only needs 4G/LTE/WiMax to be competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    3D at the end of it all is not that big of a sale. I don't see why 3D is important nor how it will work. Carry damn glasses with you wherever you go? Fail.

Where did you get the idea that a 3D smartphone needs glasses?

LG Optimus 3D hands-on -- Engadget

As for the Pre 3 being competitive, 4G will have nothing to do with it. The carrier believing it is competitive will.
    What would be great is if the Tab could work with android phones as well. (maybe similar to how bump works)

Woudl be a good way to grow the sales and possibly encourage new WebOS users.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post

Nintendo 3DS already has glasses free 3D. I bet you the evo 3D will be glasses free too.

However the battery life would Suck.

3 things keeping the Pre3 on thin ice:

1) Other phones are launching Flagship phone on all carriers and Pre3 is still waiting for Summer no carrier announcements

2) There still is not developer support for webOS and Android and iPhone have 60k apps and 250k apps respectively (not that I care for quantity, but get ALL big players and we will be ok even with 20K)

3) Every day the Pre3 is not released, people are locking themselves up into another phone for 2 years. VZW and ATT and Sprint all did away with their yearly upgrades so it will be 2 years to capture these customers.

And lastly, I know I said 3, but you also mentioned 4G, which was not announced and it is 99% sure you will not see it on the Pre3
    Well, it's pretty much a lock that the Pre 3 wouldn't be a flagship phone on any carrier....if it was, that carrier would've been there for the announcement.

But that's way down the road anyway.....the Pre 3 has to get on A carrier. Any carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    3) Every day the Pre3 is not released, people are locking themselves up into another phone for 2 years. VZW and ATT and Sprint all did away with their yearly upgrades so it will be 2 years to capture these customers.
    If that's not bad enough, many are also locking themselves into other ecosystems (with app purchases, etc.) This is something that McNamee failed to account for way back when he predicted people would dump the iPhone for the Pre. Seems it's being overlooked again by HP. Even Rahul Sood (sp?) claimed the hardware would be so great that "even the defectors will return".
    Honestly I think the fact that here we are in March and there still no carrier or release date for the Veer is more damning. Yes, it would be nice if the Pre 3 were ready to go and we knew where it was going but the Veer is ready to go and we still dont know when or where it is going.
    nexus s 4g sounds great too me, if this is true i'll be all over that. I'll be back webos if HPalm ever gets it together.
    If the Nexus S comes to sprint, I might make the switch...

Oh dear...
    GOOD LORD! Those phones like nice. I've been a Palm user for 10 years and I really think the Pre - might be my last one now. The EVO 3D and Nexus S are super cool phones. I'm not sure how I can justify bypassing one of these beauties for the Pre3...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    yeah it'll be hard to wait for Hplam with an upgrade and a nexus s 4g and evo 3d sitting right there.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast