Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    So I brought my phone in for repair the other day(Wifi will not connect and drains battery like crazy) and was shocked to hear that my "Prewared" Pre was "damaged beyond repair." I was under the impression that the only thing we were not allowed to do was download kernels, but all I use Preware for is a couple patches and a theme. The guy was nice and said that if I could doctor my phone and it came back looking like a fresh Pre he would ignore the fact that it was "previously damaged," but I was unaware of that policy. Has anybody else been told that their Preware Pre is unrepairable?
    A load of nonsense. Show him the receipt for the approximately $10K server that HP/Palm just donated to webos-internals HP donates server to WebOS Internals, makes homebrew its boo -- Engadget
    I've gone in and had a new screen. Put on at sprint my pre is overclocked and patched has preware and they fixed it free
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2691789
    Fyi: HardBeatZ is working for Palm/HP
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    It's not that it was 'damaged'...when I would take mine in to a Sprint store for fixing, I was told that the techs could only look @ it if it was truly stock -that way they know if it is a software or hardware problem. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was homebrewed, it has to do with the fact that we can do a LOT of patching & they have to know that it IS actually the phone that has problems.

IT IS LEGIT...just backup your phone & doctor it...or even jus do a EPR & remove preware for now...
    Just some experience-based thoughts: If it's beyond repair, you may want to try saying that you're ready to move on, but because Sprint doesn't have a phone that interests you, you're going to t-mobile to get deal X on a BB 97xxx, or another carrier/device. Do they know you at the store? If the guy's suggestion isn't a satisfactory option for you, try another Sprint shop, maybe going with someone who has developed a relationship there. Sometimes it's just trying with another associate and/or at a better time. Good luck with a fix!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Tell them their info is wrong. Tell them that Palm and HP are accepting of homebrew and show that they paid for Rod Whitby's Dev Day trip and the server for Preware as proof.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    It was not a big deal for me to doctor the phone since the Palm profile backed up all of my contacts and apps, and all the Preware stuff I will have to do to the new phone anyway. I was just pretty surprised to hear that Preware "ruined" it. The worst part was that they reset my phone at the store and deleted Preware. If they hadn't, it would have taken me less than 5 minutes to remove everything, but since they jumped the gun I had to go home to doctor it. I'm very content with the service I get at Sprint, and don't have any plan on jumping ship. I just wanted to see who else had heard of that policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    ...I'm very content with the service I get at Sprint, and don't have any plan on jumping ship. I just wanted to see who else had heard of that policy.
    It's definitely possible to damage your phone with some of the things you can do through Preware but Preware in and of itself can not damage your phone. Overclocking is something you can do through Preware and is strongly warned against because it can fry your phone.

So it's always good policy if you're going into a store like Sprint to bring in the most stock version of your phone that you can. They usually don't like any "modifications" and it's easier for them to blame mods as the cause to anything that's broken. Whether this treatment is right or wrong doesn't matter because you just want your phone fixed. So in the future take all the precautions you can so as not to give Sprint a reason to point the finger at you.

P.S.
    Full Erase and resetting of the phone is the default step taken by Sprint and most other carriers. They are not interested in troubleshooting software conflicts or spending a lot of time on your phone. They just want to know if the phone works or not. So backup all your stuff before you go in and be prepared for that as well.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure webosinternals states, in no uncertain terms, that devices are to be doctor'd before taking them in for service. Save/restore is your friend. Save all supported application's data and then copy that information to your laptop/desktop. Then do a doctor and hard reset, which will restore your phone to factory (or rather, factory + activation).

This "hassle" seems a rather small price to pay for such an open platform.
    I always doctor before taking it in and I've never had a problem other than the time it takes. It's tedious to do, as it mean either going without certain homebrew things for several days or doctoring/restoring multiple times: save, doctoring, partial restore, taking it in to order replacement, installing (even some) homebrew, save again, doctoring to exchange for replacement, finally re-installing/restoring everything for however long this device lasts.

It's in the midst of those doctoring/restorings that I dream of a phone that "just works". But once I start using things smoothly again, all frustration goes away.
    There has never been a true reported case of publicly released homebrew of any kind permanently damaging a device.

In all cases, a simple application of the webOS doctor and a full erase puts your device back in factory fresh condition, ready to show clueless carrier staff.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    3rd party software, jailbreaks, etc. technically void any warranty, but a repair center that is too lazy to doctor your device and check if that fixes the issue is silly. A software reload is one of the easiest things they can do.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    I think that the same argument could apply that anyone who installs 3rd party software, jailbreaks, etc that technicaly void a warranty but is too lazy yo doctor their device back to stock prior to taking it in to a repair center is also silly?

After all, a software reload is one of the easiest things to do, way easier than all that went in to patching and installing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    I think that the same argument could apply that anyone who installs 3rd party software, jailbreaks, etc that technicaly void a warranty but is too lazy yo doctor their device back to stock prior to taking it in to a repair center is also silly?

After all, a software reload is one of the easiest things to do, way easier than all that went in to patching and installing things.
    Indeed. And a software reload usually fixes 99% of the problems anyway, saving the person a trip to the service center.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I returned my original pixi with a screen problem to sprint within 30 days for an exchange, and they accepted it with preware and plenty of patches installed. The guy handling the return even recommended some patches and homebrew apps.
    i've tried some of the overclock kernels that made my pre not boot; that was about it. I just had to doctor it again to get it back to a stock kernel and everything was working again.