1.    #1  
    If Sprint changes from WiMAX to LTE -- does that mean Epic 4G,EVO 4G, EVO 4G Shift and PlayBook 4G will not be able to use "4G" any more? I think they should keep WiMAX open and use it for tablets and existing phones with WiMAX. Do we know though, if they completely abandon WiMAX if existing devices will work on the new network?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If Sprint changes from WiMAX to LTE -- does that mean Epic 4G,EVO 4G, EVO 4G Shift and PlayBook 4G will not be able to use "4G" any more? I think they should keep WiMAX open and use it for tablets and existing phones with WiMAX. Do we know though, if they completely abandon WiMAX if existing devices will work on the new network?

They will not completely abandon WiMAX. Legacy devices like the Evo will continue to work. That being said, LTE is more cost effective as it is the natural evolution of wireless technologies (which is why the other three carriers are using their own variants of LTE). Sprint needed to get something compelling to market to stop bleeding customers. For reasons unknown to me, they elected a WiMAX build-out (if memory serves correctly, I think WiMAX might actually have a faster theoretical maximum speed). Unfortunately for Sprint, LTE is the more cost effective technology, so they will be late to the party again.
    Matthew Sherro,
    General Manager/Owner, the Quotients Group
    Sprint also chose WIMAX because they weren't paying for the build-out directly, but investing in Clearwire which was responsible for deploying the network. It actually cost Sprint less to invest in Clearwire (and use their resources/manpower) than to bring it all in-house.

Which may happen anyway, since Clearwire is struggling a bit with finances and will probably be bought.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~