1.    #1  
    So a week or so ago I wrote to Russ McGuire, VP for Strategy at Sprint. His email was posted on another Palm forum. I encouraged him to consider HP's new offerings.

He sent a reply back, pointing to a blog post which he'd felt compelled to produce saying in essence "We sign NDAs. If I told you what we were planning, I'd get fired, and I like my job".

Well, standard non-denial denial, thought I. Yesterday I get an email from Lori Kohler, who works for Mr. McGuire. She's an "Executive Services Analyst", asking me to call to talk about my correspondence.

I didn't get back to her, so she called me today. She said Mr. McGuire had gotten a lot of emails on the topic, and had given her a list of folks to follow up with.

She reiterated the line that we've heard before: "Sprint continues and will continue to work with HP and Palm". And that "it's a very competitive market, so they have to play their cards close to the vest", and if she knew anything, she couldn't really tell me because she'd get fired.

Anyway, my takeaway is that they're gonna carry SOME hp device in the future. If not, why would they spend so much effort trying to console dedicated Pre fans like myself? And she didn't even urge me to consider a droid.

Sprint is signing more customers than ever before, but still are in the red. The droids are popular, but not enough to up that bottom line.

So, proceed to school me on how this is another non-denial denial. However, I think that I can discern a trend here..
    she didn't urge you to get a droid. Dang this is serious. Lol *crosses fingers* *salt over sholder*
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    she didn't urge you to get a droid. Dang this is serious. Lol *crosses fingers* *salt over sholder*
    ROFL

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Patience will be rewarded. I don't know when but hopefully some time before July.
    I've already said it 24 times or so "sprint is getting the pre3" there said it again !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    you know what that means... Continue to contact sprint's higher ups to let them know that we are intersted in webOS.

I also was contacted. And I was not pushed to get an Android.
    I wrote some thoughts about Sprint here, from an interesting blog post I read:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post2874961
    Why do you guys pester Sprint trying to get info out of them before an official announcement is made?

Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Anyway, my takeaway is that they're gonna carry SOME hp device in the future. If not, why would they spend so much effort trying to console dedicated Pre fans like myself? And she didn't even urge me to consider a droid.
    She told you essentially nothing, and you conclude that they are going to carry an HP device? They might currently be in dealings with HP, but who knows, those dealings could fall through. Why did she console you? Because you're a customer, and Sprint wants to keep their customers, regardless of what device they use.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I think the impression that folks are having are correct. As someone pointed out, why else would HP spend the money and effort contacting subscribers directly?

This is good news, indeed.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    for sure it means that there ARE talks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Why do you guys pester Sprint trying to get info out of them before an official announcement is made?
    I'm not personally (not even in the same country as Sprint) affected but my guess is that they are impatient to know because their contract renewals are imminent. Plus pestering people let's them know there is interest (and potential loss of customers if fans don't get their gadgets).

She told you essentially nothing, and you conclude that they are going to carry an HP device? They might currently be in dealings with HP, but who knows, those dealings could fall through. Why did she console you? Because you're a customer, and Sprint wants to keep their customers, regardless of what device they use.
    You are right with regard to a company telling people what they want to hear.

*But* the hopefuls have a point.
    *If* there was nothing coming Sprint would have no reason to keep people hoping for webos devices. They would like to try to talk them into Android - listing lot's of reasons why this shiny new Android device with all its apps is *way* better than any webos device. Perhaps even offer special rebates to keep webos hopefuls from defecting. Why bother mentioning NDAs if you have to try to sell the customer an Android later anyway?

And why wouldn't Sprint have webos devices? Sure - both Palm and Sprint were struggling companies that had high hopes for the Pre in 09. But Sprint is a company with the goal to make money. Companies out to make money don't spend too much time holding grudges about yesteryears high return rate. It might make them hesitant and perhaps Sprint negotiates for some guarantees that HP will cover the costs if Pre3 tanks or some such.

Clearly HP has an interest in pushing their wares into as many carrier markets as possible. And Sprint - as the original exclusive partner of Palm for webos devices has a relatively large share of webos fans. And offering an upgrade path is the best way to keep as many of those customers as possible.

All things considered it is not only possible, but likely that Sprint will have the this next generation of webos devices (with the Veer only GSM that means Pre3 and TouchPad, unless HP surprises us with more models sooner than expected).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    My point is that customer service reps will always be cordial with their customers (if they do their job properly) and will try to tell them what they want to hear. However to draw such far-reaching conclusions from this fluff is silly. I agree it is likely that Sprint will carry a WebOS device some time in the future, but to try and draw that out of Sprint before an official announcement is made is akin to trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

It is quite possible that no one at Sprint currently knows whether or not a deal with HP will be struck, including Russ and Lori. That doesn't make their answers any less truthful. They are just doing their jobs.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13.    #13  

Sprint has a lot of customers. Pre & Pixi owners are obviously a very tiny segment of their subscribers. So, why expend any energy (or billable hours) on trying to keep them engaged unless you expect them to get a payoff?

By this summer, if the CDMA devices go to Verizon, those few of us loyalists that were hanging on will be out as soon as our contracts expire. Again, we are a very tiny part of their user base.

So, the VP of Strategy gets a few dozen emails. He feels the need to make a blog post saying as much as he can to keep us around. Then he charges customer service types to actually email us, and call us personally to mollify us.

If you have no plans to continue a service that few of your subscribers appreciate (offering HPalm phones), why would you go to that trouble? Sprint had a record number of new customers last quarter. They're not hurting for new subscribers - they have to figure out a way to effectively monetize them, but defections of Palm loyalists would surely be a drop in the bucket.

I reiterate.. something's up.
    Sprint is def getting the Pre3 early this summer. Do I work for HP or Sprint? No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  15.    #15  
    My point is that customer service reps will always be cordial with their customers (if they do their job properly) and will try to tell them what they want to hear.
    If you call them, they are cordial. They rarely pursue you with emails and personal calls.

It is quite possible that no one at Sprint currently knows whether or not a deal with HP will be struck, including Russ and Lori. That doesn't make their answers any less truthful. They are just doing their jobs.
    Again, why would a VP send their toadies out on a mission to contact every disgruntled Palm user? Or even a representative subset?

Look, I don't know any more than the rest of you, but this is a very familiar pattern. A lot of you work in IT and can see the same things in this exchange that I do.

Imagine if tomorrow, Sprint said "we'll be carrying the Pre 3, and the tablet". How would that help their business? And how would it harm it? This just seems like a no-brainer.

I don't know how much I can emphasize this, but except for the Droid trolls here, here at PreCentral we're a small community of very dedicated fans of webOS. Sprint doesn't need us.

When you have a record number of new subscribers, why try to hang on to a few nerds who like an otherwise invisible OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    If you call them, they are cordial. They rarely pursue you with emails and personal calls.

Again, why would a VP send their toadies out on a mission to contact every disgruntled Palm user? Or even a representative subset?

Look, I don't know any more than the rest of you, but this is a very familiar pattern. A lot of you work in IT and can see the same things in this exchange that I do.

Imagine if tomorrow, Sprint said "we'll be carrying the Pre 3, and the tablet". How would that help their business? And how would it harm it? This just seems like a no-brainer.

I don't know how much I can emphasize this, but except for the Droid trolls here, here at PreCentral we're a small community of very dedicated fans of webOS. Sprint doesn't need us.

When you have a record number of new subscribers, why try to hang on to a few nerds who like an otherwise invisible OS?
    Well there's over 2 MILLION of us (granted not all on Sprint) and assuming HALF that number is on Sprint, that's potential sales revenue of $2.4 MILLION in new devices and another 1.4 BILLION in annual contract revenue. Not something to shake a stick at.