Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've already heard Sprint do some talking about LTE at Mobile World Congress this week, but the company's Senior Vice President of Networks, Bob Azzi, has now gone even further in an interview with PC World, where he seems to have suggested that a switch to LTE is all but inevitable. In fact, Azzi is reported to have said that "with the spectrum holdings we have, WiMAX is not an option," and he further went on to note that even with Sprint's majority stake in Clearwire, it still only has "indirect ownership" of Clearwire's spectrum holdings. So what's it going to do? Azzi suggested that an LTE network which complements its current WiMAX network might be the answer, and he even suggested that we could see tri-band LTE phones with a WiMAX radio "velcroed on." He did, of course, point out that no decision has been made just yet, simply stating that "the question is how to keep growing," and that "it's about having a plan."

Sprint talks seriously about LTE, suggests it could complement WiMAX -- Engadget
    Could you imagine the 3 hours of battery life on an LTE/WIMAX/CDMA phone....

Eeeeek.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Poor Sprint.
    They already said that when they add LTE on top of WiMax, all they have to do is change the boards and release update OTA and all current phones that run WiMax will be updated, what are they waiting for? Lets go push out LTE and get the latest LTE compatible phones.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Are you sure current WiMax phones can be updated to LTE.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Are you sure current WiMax phones can be updated to LTE.
    I second that question. I don't know.
    I have another question. Why didn't they go LTE in the first place to avoid all this worry for existing users? Did it have something to do with Verizon or was it their stubbornness toward using WiMax when it seemed clear LTE was the way to go?

P.S. Yes I know I need to go check Google because I remember something about them buying into WiMax.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes I am sure, I read article some where, Sprint states that when they switch to LTE all they have to do is push out update to all the 4G phones, cause when they put LTE in play all they have to do is swap out the boards in the WiMax towers. I will do some research and post the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Could you imagine the 3 hours of battery life on an LTE/WIMAX/CDMA phone....

Eeeeek.
    This. And it seems that one of the first LTE Super phones has abysmal battery life so having tri-bands is just.... *shudder*

HTC Thunderbolt said to have terrible battery life, might explain delay? -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Yes I am sure, I read article some where, Sprint states that when they switch to LTE all they have to do is push out update to all the 4G phones, cause when they put LTE in play all they have to do is swap out the boards in the WiMax towers. I will do some research and post the article.
    If that's the case evos would work with verizon's 4g, but not.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    From what i remember that was for the towers, and not the phones themselves.
    Sprint said they would continue to expand their wimax coverage. well, this news means they wont continue to expand wimax. sprint lied!!! /joke
    I think sprint may have made the right choice with wimax. Had the first 4g network, started roll out, and can cheaply turn it into LTE. Works out great, well except for those early adopters, but they are a minority, and money's more important to big business'.

( Don't believe me, look at the last president. George Bush was pro big business, and he didn't care about minorities either )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have another question. Why didn't they go LTE in the first place to avoid all this worry for existing users? Did it have something to do with Verizon or was it their stubbornness toward using WiMax when it seemed clear LTE was the way to go?

P.S. Yes I know I need to go check Google because I remember something about them buying into WiMax.
    It actually was not clear when Sprint started backing WiMAX. I think they started back in 2007 (Xohm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and it was not with Clearwire. It was their own technology. (2009 was when they merged it). However, back then LTE was not going to be ready until 2013 (and I mean 3.9G LTE not LTE Advanced) however, Verizon and ATT have both moved up scheduels and LTE is now ready (and I am sure other things happened to make that possible). But, Verizon moved their time table up BECAUSE of Sprint and thus didn't give Sprint the head start they wanted -- which is why they choose WiMAX. WiMAX was ready and from my understanding, cheaper (because LTE is not an open standard).

So thats the reason. They needed to be "known" for something, and they wanted to be "known" for first with 4G. But the WiMAX and LTE are more like little brothers. They are from the same DNA. It's not like CDMA and GSM. I still don't know if the radio's in the phones/tablets can work with each network with a firmware upgrade, but we do know their WiMAX towers can be turned into LTE over night.
    I could be wrong but I thought LTE required a sim card so unless EVO/Epic/Evo Shift have sim slots they are SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought LTE required a sim card so unless EVO/Epic/Evo Shift have sim slots they are SOL.
    I don't know if it requires a SIM card or not. Let me check.

It seems Verizon is choosing to use the SIM card, and of course GSM carriers are, but it does not appear to be required. I could be wrong as well.
    Last edited by astraith; 02/27/2011 at 09:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    New article. Maybe that is why HP is waiting till Summer to release Pre3. 1st LTE Phone Pre 3

Zacks Equity Research, On Thursday March 3, 2011, 12:15 pm EST

Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S - News), the third-largest U.S. wireless carrier, intends to complete the deployment of long-term evolution (LTE) technology based fourth generation (4G) network in its entire coverage by year-end 2013.

Sprint is a trailblazer in 4G having leapfrogged over its larger U.S. peers, VerizonCommunication (NYSE: VZ - News)and AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T - News) by becoming the first carrier to deploy commercial 4G service in Baltimore, back in October 2008. The company’s 4G services cover 71 markets in the U.S. and reached 120 million people at year-end 2010.

The company currently runs its third generation (3G) network in the 1900 MHz band, has a wholesale deal with Clearwire Corp. (NasdaqGS: CLWR - News) to use WiMAX in the 2.5 GHz band and owns an iDEN network in the 800 MHz band.

The deployment of 4G LTE network is a part of its network modernization project “Network Vision”, initiated at the end of 2010. Under the plan, Sprint will consolidate multiple incompatible networks (CDMA, iDEN, and LTE) comprising 68,000 cell sites into one platform supporting multiple technologies (3G and 4G) and spectrum bands (800 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2.5 GHz) with less than 45,000 cell sites. Sprint will spend $4 billion to $5 billion under the program, over three to five years.

Sprint Nextel plans to consolidate its network and gradually terminate its iDen network from 2013. The company will replace the iDen network on CDMA-based phones in FY11, with a new version of Nextel's "push-to-talk" feature from Qualcomm Inc. (NasdaqGS: QCOM - News).

This network restructuring is expected to generate $10 billion to $11 billion in savings over the next seven years through efficient use of capital, reduced energy costs, lower roaming expenses, backhaul savings and the eventual reduction of total cell sites.

The Network Vision plan is expected to reduce the company’s expenses by eliminating costs associated with the Nextel network and reducing in-network roaming. However, the benefit is not expected until 2013 as network consolidation involves large upfront payments in the first few years.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I think sprint may have made the right choice with wimax. Had the first 4g network, started roll out, and can cheaply turn it into LTE. Works out great, well except for those early adopters, but they are a minority, and money's more important to big business'.

( Don't believe me, look at the last president. George Bush was pro big business, and he didn't care about minorities either )
    Is that you Kanye? Bush giving more money to fight AIDS in Africa than any other president to date was due to not caring about minorities?
    Bush led on AIDS funds; will Obama? - CNN
    He did that so people would say things like you just did. Mission accomplished. What did he do for the people in his own country?
    Sooooo anyway...

I doubt if they went to LTE that they would use a tri mode phone...I think it would be EITHER/OR, still supporting Wimax in markets where it currently exists, but only expanding LTE service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast